Long downloading into Market Analyzer hangs NT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long downloading into Market Analyzer hangs NT

I have a workspace that includes a couple of non-trivial Market Analyzers. One has 880 rows of ETFs, with columns for Description, Instrument, and 7 more columns. The other has 1600 rows of stocks with Description, Instrument, and 10 more columns.

When NT first comes up these two get populated just fine from stored data. I presume that there is nothing wrong with the MAs or their content since that works. Further evidence that the MAs themselves (including the indicators in the columns) are fine is that I can connect to Kinetick EOD and update either one of them separately.

The problem arises when I leave both of them up, wait for NT to stabilize, and then connect to Kinetick EOD -- that inevitably hangs NT (Windows reports it is not responding). When both are up, the larger one gets filled, and the smaller (ETF one) is still being filled. Eventually, before the latter gets filled, NT totally hangs. Last night it was reproducibly about 27-28 minutes to get there. This morning it was more like 38 minutes (tried twice) -- looks as if the MA is getting filled more slowly than last night and still hanging at about the same amount filled, just takes longer (during the day) to get there.

Some observations:
    • Whenever it hangs it is taking just about 12.5% of the CPU -- up from just a few percent when all is normal. The 12.5% is a very steady amount that is distributed over most of the hardware threads. Normal (not hung) use is about 2-3% or so.
    • NT uses quite a bit of memory, but that does not seem to be the problem -- there is only about 6GB in use for the whole system, while I have 12GB physical memory. Even allowing for the Standby memory still leaves several GB of genuinely Free physical memory (per Windows Resource Monitor).
    • Normal (not hung) thread use varies a lot and perhaps 15-50 threads is common. In the hung state, the number of threads starts with mid-50's and climbs slowly as I let it sit that way. Earlier this morning it got to 75 before I lost patience and killed NT. Right now it is 71 and climbing.
    • Resource monitor shows that I am not taxing memory, network bandwidth, disk use, or CPU
    • I have the Output window up, and there is nothing there -- I was wondering whether perhaps some diagnostic note, such as an exception, but no such thing
    • The instrument still showing in the connection window when hung is different each time. Does not look as if the problem is any specific instrument.

FWIW: my computer should be plenty for this use. It is a quad-core i7 @ 3.4 GHz, with 12GB RAM, running Windows 8.1 with all patches applied.

I have no idea what is really happening -- here are a couple of ideas:
    • Given the varying times to hang, and the fact it happens at a slightly different place each time, there could be some sort of timing race or deadlock somewhere that happens only infrequently (hence the shorter loads always succeed).
    • Given hanging at about the same amount of the 2nd MA filled each time, it could be that some size crosses some threshold.

--EV
    Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-26-2014, 01:20 PM.

There seems to be a definite hang problem. Is it a known problem?

=====

Today I decided that I wanted the large-ish Market Analyzers of mine (see previous hang report in this thread) in their own workspace, so that they would not mean bringing up NT would always be slow. I just use them for screening, so I can change workspaces when I want to do that.

Or so I thought. I put the two of them into their own workspace. The problem is that it is impossible to switch to that workspace. Whenever I try to do so -- even the first thing after a clean bring-up of NT -- it hangs NT. I soon end up with the familiar hang statistics: 12.5% CPU use, thread count slowly climbing to 70+.

Is this hang a known problem? If not, can the NT folks reproduce it? If not, can I help? I REALLY would like to see this get fixed!

--EV

Comment

Hello,

Please contact me at Support AT NinjaTrader DOT com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread.
      KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Kyle View Post
        Hello,

Please contact me at Support AT NinjaTrader DOT com. In your message please include a link to this forum thread.
        Email sent. Subject is "ATTN: Kyle"

--EV

Comment

I thought I would let my workspace switch that was hung run overnight, just to verify it is not merely very slow. So far no visible progress on getting switched, no crash, still using 12.5% of the CPU, and now up to 1,095 threads ....

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 01-28-2014, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Just to bring this to a conclusion, for anyone else who might run into the same issue.

Ryan, with Technical Support, was most helpful. He noticed that I was a couple of minor revs out of date, so we upgraded to the most recent version. I doubt that made any difference, but it was the right thing to do on general principles, and I would have already done so if I had noticed.

The big change is that I had forgotten I was running the 32-bit version of NT. At Ryan's suggestion I went to the 64-bit version. As far as I can tell so far that solved the problem. It appears that I was trying to do something too big for the 32-bit version.

--EV

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by FrazMann, Today, 11:21 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post FrazMann  
            Started by geddyisodin, Yesterday, 05:20 AM
            8 responses
            0 likes