Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question regarding Time Intervals on Charts

Hi NinjaTrader Support Team,

I really looked (searched) around the Forum and also in the NT Documentation but couldn't find an answer to my question.

I have three question regarding Interval Settings on Charts:

1. Is it possible to select an Interval in NT7 Charts that is not an integer (e.g. 1.5 Days or 3.3 Days)

2. What are the maximum values that i can use for the different time intervals ( Seconds, Minute, Day, Week, Month, Year)

3. What are the maximum values that i can use for the other intervals ( Tick, Range, Renko)

Thanks in advance,

NeoAkira

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

1. It is not possible to do decimal numbers as a bar value.

For 1.5 days you could use a Minute chart. There are 1440 Minutes in a day, so to get 1.5 days you could use a 2160 Minute chart.

2. & 3. There are no maximum values but in most cases there is a limit to the historical data that is available.

You could use a 10 year chart, but not all data providers may have 10 years of daily data.
    CameronNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Cameron,

thanks for your fast response.

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cameron View Post
      For 1.5 days you could use a Minute chart. There are 1440 Minutes in a day, so to get 1.5 days you could use a 2160 Minute chart.
      That was exactly what i wanted to hear..

There are no maximum values but in most cases there is a limit to the historical data that is available.
      Also great to know.

You could use a 10 year chart, but not all data providers may have 10 years of daily data.
      FXCM has..

Just a further note... this functionality is a unique selling proposition you have. You really should promote this on your website and other marketing materials.
      Many Trading Platforms (e.g. MultiCharts and Tradestation) don't support this feature and limit the maximum value for the interval or resolution of the chart.

thanks again and a nice weekend,

NeoAkira

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your note.

1. It is not possible to do decimal numbers as a bar value.

With standard session templates it is not possible to use 2160 minute bars. You would first need to create a special template to allow for displaying those exotic bars. I do not think that it makes sense to use anything beyond 1440 min.

Comment

Hi Harry,

thanks for your response and your tip.
          Originally posted by Harry View Post
          With standard session templates it is not possible to use 2160 minute bars. You would first need to create a special template to allow for displaying those exotic bars. I do not think that it makes sense to use anything beyond 1440 min.
          I'm relatively new to Ninja Trader. I looked up the Session Template Functionality. And If I'm not mistaken you can setup the length of each single session in this template.
          If I understand you correct you suggest that i need to setup the session length accordingly to my bar setting otherwise the bar is not calculated properly. In the example above for 2160 Minute bars i need to set the session length to 1.5 days (eg. Monday 12.00AM to tuesday 12.00PM).
          Is this correct?

If I want to have more flexibility with my chart settings would it be possible to just setup one Session that goes from Monday to Friday?

Thanks in advance.

NeoAkira
          Last edited by NeoAkira; 02-09-2014, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoAkira View Post
            Hi Harry,

thanks for your response and your tip.

I'm relatively new to Ninja Trader. I looked up the Session Template Functionality. And If I'm not mistaken you can setup the length of each single session in this template.
            If I understand you correct you suggest that i need to setup the session length accordingly to my bar setting otherwise the bar is not calculated properly. In the example above for 2160 Minute bars i need to set the session length to 1.5 days (eg. Monday 12.00AM to tuesday 12.00PM).
            Is this correct?

If I want to have more flexibility with my chart settings would it be possible to just setup one Session that goes from Monday to Friday?

Thanks in advance.

NeoAkira
            If you wish to display 2160 minute bars, you should setup a single session covering the whole trading week.

NinjaTrader cuts off all bars at the session end. For example, if you use a simple ETH session template (5 days with 1440 minutes), your 2160 minute chart will effectively show 1440 min bars, as all those bars are cut off at the daily session break.

Comment

Hi Harry,

Originally posted by Harry View Post
              If you wish to display 2160 minute bars, you should setup a single session covering the whole trading week.

NinjaTrader cuts off all bars at the session end. For example, if you use a simple ETH session template (5 days with 1440 minutes), your 2160 minute chart will effectively show 1440 min bars, as all those bars are cut off at the daily session break.
              Thanks for the fast response and the clarification. I think this is the way I will go.

NeoAkira

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
              0 responses
              1 view
              0 likes
              Last Post WHICKED
              by WHICKED

Started by FrazMann, Today, 11:21 AM