Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Updating Symbol from Chart

Hello,

I know you can start typing a symbol from a chart and then press enter to change to that symbol. I have a 3rd party linking program that will simply paste a symbol as text.

For example when this linking program links to notepad it will constantly paste the symbol text as I change symbols. For some reason NinjaTrader charts will only receive the symbol from this linker when the small data series box is open and the input text field is linked (the little data series window is what pops up when you begin typing letters onto a chart).

Is there a way to make this little data series window always be visible so I can use my linking program?

Or what is the code that ninjatrader charts respond to when typing a symbol - is it an individual key stroke that is a letter/number only for it to open?

Thank you.

To elaborate I think my linking software sends the symbol as a string but it seems ninjatrader charts will only respond to key strokes. Otherwise I need the data series input window to always be visible so it can accept the symbol string.

Comment

Sorry to keep posting but I also came up with this idea as a work around. Are there any symbol input text fields that can always be showing?

What do people do who rapidly switch through symbols? For example is there another window I can open in NT that will allow for easy input of a symbol and then I can simply link that to my chart?

Thank you

Comment

Ok so it seems that if I open a Basic Entry window and link the symbol input from there it will work. However only symbols in my instrument list will allow the link from basic entry.

Is there a way to import the entire universe of NYSE and NSDQ listed equities into NT?

Comment

Follow up - everything is working but only for symbols in my instrument list. It seems stupid to have to have the symbol in my default or whatever list is selected for the link from the order window to the chart to work. Does this mean every IPO I need to add manually to the instrument list? Not to mention doing this for all the symbols the first time?

What is the point of instrument lists? I want to just be able to type in any symbol thats trading and trade it, not only the symbols on my instrument list. Am I missing something?

EDIT: Well after finding a text list of all the symbols, when importing it to the default list NT crashes. I guess its time to find a program better suited to my needs.

EDIT EDIT:
          Got the symbols loaded, using free Kinetick EOD data for now to demo and whenever I changed symbols (loading 700 days so I can see about a year and half) the chart essentially crashes or freezes with Loading data... in top left.

After a brief experimentation I am at a complete loss as to who or why people use NT. Am I doing something wrong? It is not the computer I am using I can assure you that, but I am very hesitant to even shell out for 1 month of kinetick data if I can't even load 700 bars on a daily chart.

I was super excited about the idea of using NT to complement my current software but after a few days of experimenting I have to say it has really failed to deliver even in the most basic capacity.
          Last edited by stoli7188; 02-10-2014, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your patience. The mini instrument selector will require some sort of keyboard input to change the instrument. There is not a supported method to pass a value to this, but it is possible which sounds like you've discovered. I do not know of a way to ensure that field has focused.

For quickly switching between charts, we recommend adding your List of instruments to a Market Analyzer window and Linking that window to your chart, like you've done with the Basic Entry window. This will allow you to easily scroll through a list of stocks and switch at that time:

NinjaTrader 7 Tips - Using the Market Analyzer to Change Instruments

For the chart crashing, what do you have loaded in this chart? Can you load a simple chart without any indicators or strategies, or does this also crash?
            MatthewNinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Thanks for your reply, I have plain chart with nothing but price (700 day bars to be exact). Is this data loading slow have to do with the data feed? I am using Kineticks free EOD for now.

Also if I have 2000 symbols in my instrument list is NT able to handle all that data or could that be why it is crashing?

I want the ability to type up any stock that may suddenly have news on it without having to individually adding it to the default instrument list first. Is the best way to do that simply to do what I did and make a default instrument list of 2000 symbols?

EDIT: Also the data seems to be loading better now with the market analyzer. Maybe before it was just stuck, I don't know. It could be I had both Kinetick and Google connected. However, I get my application to change the instrument in the "Basic Entry" window but even with this window linked through NT to my chart, the chart will not update.

Its funny because it was working before. Change the symbol in the "Basic Entry" and the chart changed, now its not working.

EDIT EDIT: The symbol only changes in the chart when I actually click on the symbol in the basic entry window. I can't simply type the symbol and hit enter. Earlier I was able to change the chart from my linker by changing the symbol in the Instrument field on Basic Entry, now it appears the Basic Entry - Instrument will change but it simply doesn't update the chart.
              Last edited by stoli7188; 02-10-2014, 02:16 PM.

Comment

The Kinetick End Of Day connection should be able to process 700 bars in relatively no time. Would would need simplify the work and to see what might be causing the data to load slower than we expect.

The market analyzer will help cache market data which should help improve the load time.

If you want to add a symbol quickly as you wish, you can type "on the fly" with the Market Analyzer Instrument Column.

Comment

The Market Analyzer requires a double click before I can type anything and then another click (instead of enter) when I am done typing to update the linked windows.

Is the clicking necessary or is there a way I can just do this with the keyboard?

Thank you for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by stoli7188 View Post
                    The Market Analyzer requires a double click before I can type anything and then another click (instead of enter) when I am done typing to update the linked windows.

Is the clicking necessary or is there a way I can just do this with the keyboard?

Thank you for your help.
                    You will need to double click to start the process. I've tested but do not see a workaround at this time.

Comment

Thanks.

So I get the symbol to update into the "Order Entry" window's instrument field. However the chart I have linked to the order entry window will not update unless I click.

I am assuming there is no work around for substituting key strokes instead of clicks. Or to simply have the linked chart update when the order entry window is changed by typing.

Seems like such a trivial thing, why wouldn't just type symbol, press enter, change the symbol in all linked windows?

Unfortunately for me this little detail is a major, major hang up. Any solutions or can this simply be fixed in the settings?

I'd rather not have to use eSignal but I know their software will allow me to switch quickly by sending the symbol to their program.

Comment

Just tried to experiment by adding ONE new symbol to my default instrument list of 2147 symbols and NT locked up on me. After about 2 minutes of not responding, it finally loaded.

I am really trying to find a way to make NT work with my trading. I heard it is a bit "clunky" but slow loading, and the whole needing an instrument list thing with all stock symbols to allow it to display the instrument in my order entry window seems a bit absurd. Now having to click every time to change a symbol instead of just typing.

I will give it a few more days to try to find some work around solutions but I guess NT just isn't built for traders like me then? Or am I missing something b/c I have heard some good things about this platform?

Comment

Thanks for the feedback stoli7188, the quickest change I'm aware would be working with the symbols added to a Market Analyzer and one indicator added so you would pull historical data in. Then have your chart, MA and order entry window linked - when you type from the chart and press enter > the whole setup should be changing over pretty quick. Typing from the order entry window would not be possible unfortunately as you have already discovered - I will make sure this thought gets added to our internal feedback trackings lists which product management and development actively work with setting course for the next major update of the platform. All the best.
                          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I appreciate the help and suggestions. Too bad neither the order window nor the market analyzer could just accept the enter key instead of having to double click. If that one thing were solved I wouldn't really have an major issues with integrating NT (aside from having to continually update my instrument list as companies IPO or delist).

Thank you for your time, if I come up with a work around in the next few days I will post it here. Otherwise I guess I'll have to try something else. Thanks again.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by MacDad, 02-25-2024, 11:48 PM
                            7 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post loganjarosz123  
                            Started by Belfortbucks, Today, 09:29 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Belfortbucks