Run my script strategy in the real market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Run my script strategy in the real market

Hi everyone, I run my strategy in backtest and now I'd like to try it in the real market, always paper trading, but I have seen in the NinjaTrader help that "Automated trading does not mean go fishing while your computer trades for you. We highly recommend that you are within close proximity to your computer while it is running an automated trading strategy; you never know what can go wrong", so it's mean that my pc must be remain always on? If the answer is "YES", is there another way to run my strategy in the real market?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Diego Parolin.

Originally posted by Didacus View Post
    Hi everyone, I run my strategy in backtest and now I'd like to try it in the real market, always paper trading, but I have seen in the NinjaTrader help that "Automated trading does not mean go fishing while your computer trades for you. We highly recommend that you are within close proximity to your computer while it is running an automated trading strategy; you never know what can go wrong", so it's mean that my pc must be remain always on? If the answer is "YES", is there another way to run my strategy in the real market?

Thanks in advance.
    Regards.

Diego Parolin.
    How can the computer trade if it is not on?

Comment

Sorry, maybe I not explained myself very well: in the discretionary trading I open my position and then I'm able to close the platform and then I'm going to sleep :-). Is it not possibile to do this with a system trading?
      Excuse but I'm new in this world ;-)

Comment

Sorry, maybe I not explained myself very well: in the discretionary trading I open my position and then I'm able to close the platform and then I'm going to sleep :-). Is it not possibile to do this with a system trading?
        Excuse but I'm new in this world ;-)
        That would depend on where your orders reside.

ref: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...=orders+reside

It is still not a good idea to not check on your autotrader. It is best to leave the platform running, and check on it, so that you can see what it is doing. That way, you can catch any error conditions before you get wiped out.

Comment

Hello Diego,

Thank you for your post and thank you Koganam for responding.

Yes, you will need to leave the computer running in order to have the Automated strategy work.
          Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have understood.
            So, with my notebook it is impossibile to do this, therefore must I buy a server for this purpose? Or is it possibile to rent a server on demand or put my strategy in the cloud for example? In your opinion what is the best choice? Do you know any provider for these services?
            Thanks a lot.

Regards.
            Diego.

Comment

Thanks everyone, I have understood.
              So, with my notebook it is impossibile to do this, therefore must I buy a server for this purpose? Or is it possibile to rent a server on demand or put my strategy in the cloud for example? In your opinion what is the best choice? Do you know any provider for these services?
              Thanks a lot.

Regards.
              Diego.
              Just my opinion, but there is no reason why you cannot leave your laptop on. I though, always have a machine (virtual in my case) dedicated to NinjaTrader. All of which is to say that in today's terms, one can always buy a last generation system for about 5 /ES points ($250), which would be powerful enough to run a dedicated NT platform. One then merely has to get a UPS, ensure that the NT trading system, the router, and the modem are all plugged into it, and leave it alone. Maybe install TeamViewer, so that it is remotely accessible. That way, even when the power goes off, you have enough time to flatten all positions, if you are there of course. If you get a controllable UPS, you can even run a program to send the necessary keystrokes to NT to close your positions when the power fails.

If that sounds too elaborate, you can always rent and use someone else's cloud server. Remember though that you have then introduced another company/person into the mix, that is an independent source of failure. Remote as the possibility is, cloud server provider networks have been known to go down. Who then will you blame is you are wiped out in that event, and would they compensate you? I doubt it.

Maybe it is just me, but when it comes to my trading accounts, I prefer to be in complete control. I do not leave autotraders running if I cannot reach the computer to check on it. How are you going to be notified if something goes wrong on your remote NT platform in the cloud? In other words, using a cloud server is no different from setting up the autotrader and walking away, unless you are going to be permanently connected to your cloud server. If that is so, why not the just have physical control of your system, in your direct presence, sitting on a UPS?

Autotrading is not about "set it and forget it": it is about removing emotion and second-guessing from the mix. One must still keep an eye on the computer: it is just Murphy's Law, and its most famous extension that "Murphy was an optimist."

ref: http://www.murphys-laws.com/murphy/murphy-laws.html

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Spiderbird, Today, 12:15 PM
              2 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post Spiderbird  
              Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes