What happens when a connection is lost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happens when a connection is lost

I would like to know what to expect in the event my connection to my broker is lost due to a computer, internet, power etc problem.

Say I have a position on with a stop loss in place and my computer crashes and I need to reboot and restart NT. Will NT remember my position and stop and pick up the trade gracefully or do I need to do anything to ensure the trade is executing correctly?

Thanks

Hello seahn,

Thank you for your post.

Once orders receive an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, they reside at the exchange or at the broker servers on most occassions. If NinjaTrader is shut down or disconnected, the order will still execute as per market dynamics. You can view the order status in the Control Center-->Orders-tab, State column. More information can be found at the link below.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...t=order+reside

Please note that OCO functionality resides in NinjaTrader for most broker technologies (except IB and TD Ameritrade). So if you have an OCO order set (stop loss and profit target - ATM orders) active and you lose connection or NinjaTrader is shut down, subsequently one of the OCO orders fills at the exchange, it will not cancel the other OCO order. NinjaTrader needs to be running and connected to send the order cancellation request.

The same applies when you have an entry order active, which was submitted with an ATM strategy atttached. If you are disconnnected and the entry order executes thereafter, no ATM orders will be sent since NinjaTrader is not connected.
    Zach S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for your reply,

What if I have an automated strategy running and NT needs to be restarted after a crash? How do I restart the strategy and have it pick up the trade that was in process and close it out per the rules of the strategy?

Comment

seahn,

There are settings for strategy connection loss available under Tools > Options > Strategies > NinjaScript tab. You can keep running, recalculate, or stop. If the strategy keeps running and the connection is restored, it will receive the fill event for the order and continue.
        Zach S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ZachS View Post
          Hello seahn,

Thank you for your post.

Once orders receive an 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, they reside at the exchange or at the broker servers on most occassions. If NinjaTrader is shut down or disconnected, the order will still execute as per market dynamics. You can view the order status in the Control Center-->Orders-tab, State column. More information can be found at the link below.
          http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...t=order+reside

Please note that OCO functionality resides in NinjaTrader for most broker technologies (except IB and TD Ameritrade). So if you have an OCO order set (stop loss and profit target - ATM orders) active and you lose connection or NinjaTrader is shut down, subsequently one of the OCO orders fills at the exchange, it will not cancel the other OCO order. NinjaTrader needs to be running and connected to send the order cancellation request.

The same applies when you have an entry order active, which was submitted with an ATM strategy atttached. If you are disconnnected and the entry order executes thereafter, no ATM orders will be sent since NinjaTrader is not connected.
          Hi Zach,

Would you please clarify your point about ATM strategies. If I initiate an ATM strategy that gets filled (30 contracts to buy with a 6 tick stop for ex.) and then I loose connection after I get a fill, does that mean the stop loss order is not at the exchange but still resides within NT? 2nd ques: If that is true than in order to have a stop loss order at the exchange would I have to place that order separately right after getting a fill?

Comment

Hello DeskTroll,

Thank you for your response.

Orders that are in a 'Accepted' or 'Working' status, will reside at the exchange or at the broker's servers. With that said Stop Loss orders are either Stop Market or Stop Limit orders and if they are accepted or working they will be at the exchange or the broker's servers. So you would not need to do anything special for ATM Strategies.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by WHICKED, Today, 12:45 PM
            2 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post WHICKED
            by WHICKED

Started by GussJ, 03-04-2020, 03:11 PM
            15 responses
            0 likes