Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the 'Vol' Indicator on NT Tick Chart

Hi,

Can I display the volume indicator in for example a 150-Tick chart in NT.

Whilst on a time chart (eg on a 15m, 30m etc) the volume bars are noticeably working (eg bars of varying height at different points in the day). In the case of tick-charts the bars are noticeably non-varying in height and capped usually at the level of ticks in the tick chart (eg for a 150-tick chart all the bars for the 'vol' indicator are at 150 - with the exception of perhaps a couple of bars).

I have seen other users of NT online using Tick charts with volume indicator successfully.

Please advise.

Note:
    *This is the standard packaged 'Vol' indicator
    *Using an FXCM demo feed (with tick data loaded for the period -eg the tick chart itself is populated.

Thanks

Sand.

Hello Sands,

Thank you for your post.

What instrument are you working with?

Who are you connected to? This is displayed in the lower left hand corner of the Control Center
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi thanks for the prompt reply.

The connection is in my original post: FXCM demo.
      Instruments I'm looking at (in FXCM designations) are for example $UKOIL where the chart appears like the attached image. But also for all the other products I've looked at $SPX500 being another example where 'vol' works for a time chart but not for tick chart as I'd expect.

Thanks,

Sand.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Please right click in the chart and select the Reload All Historical Data option. Does this correct the display of the VOL indicator in your tick based charts?
        KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

I've realised that because FXCM is an fx vendor they are substituting the centralised volume numbers with tick volume instead, for both fx and for non fx products.

For fx products this is better than nothing ( because with fx their are no centralised exchanges) but for non fx products the vendor doesn't appear to provide the real volume data and just has tick volume across all of their products. Essentially why I'm getting the same volume of 150 for each bar of 150 ticks. Where in reality I want to know how many contracts are really in those 150 ticks not solely that 150 trades were executed (that real volume data would provide).

I've gone back to the vendor to ask if they can provide tick volume for fx and 'real' volume for indices and commodities.

A further question for NinjaTrader support though. Do you know if I can use FXCM for execution of CFD and Spreadbet and another data supplier to price and provide exchange volume for those contracts in FXCM (given that essentially they are the futures contracts but just repackaged)? If so please recommend which vendors are compatible with this broker for my needs.

Thanks.

Sand.

Comment

Hello Sand,

FXCM is currently the only broker that supports CFD's in NinjaTrader. They will be globally supported in NinjaTrader 8.

Unfortunately, I do not have information what data feeds provide exchange volume for CFD's. Please check this with the data feed provider.
            JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Jon17, Today, 04:33 PM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes
            Last Post Jon17
            by Jon17

Started by Javierw.ok, Today, 04:12 PM