Is there a way to name instances of Market Analyzer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to name instances of Market Analyzer

I have a little project in mind that would require me to have quite a few Market analyzers -- perhaps 20 or so. It would be most helpful if I could name each of them. I wold expect the name to show up in the title bar, and be obvious for the icon. Is this possible?

Thanks,
    EV

Hi EV,

Thanks for the post.

Unfortunately it's not possible to name the Market Analyzer window. This is something that is on the Feature Request list for NT8.
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks, Vince.

That project also illustrates another request. It wold be really helpful if NT supported managing those windows. I'd like to be able to minimize and restore them as a group, with simple and intuitive user override of that behavior as desired.

I really do not want to have to minimize 20 windows one-by-one, and then later restore them one-by-one.

--EV

Comment

Hi EV,

I will forward your request to our development team and ask if they can add it to the Feature Request list as well and provide it with a tracking ID number.

Comment

Vince,

Thanks. There are various ways to do the job, and I'll bet that the developers' first reaction is that it will be difficult. I have thought about it some, in a different context, and I think it can be done pretty easily:
          • Windows are first class actors, not slaves who do as hey are told
          • There is an event bus (also a good way to implement linking with many links)
          • There needs to be a way to tell when the user wants to affect a single window vs. the group. One obvious way that I think would work and be idiomatically reasonable would be for plain click to work as usual, but shift-click to mean publish an event to the window group, too (consistent with <shift> meaning a more powerful version of the unshifted action).
          • When a window gets minimized/normalized with a shift click, it publishes the event; other windows in the group listen for that event and voluntarily take the same action.

At a high level that's it -- I have not implemented such a thing, but I have thought about it enough that I think it would work. It should not be very difficult to implement. A window would know whether it got to its current state by a click or a shift-click, and therefore whether to follow group actions. The usability issues like that are a bit DWIM, but I think they are tractable if one thinks about it a bit.

I think such a feature would be great for NT. I use a couple of many-window platforms -- great for multiple monitors, but all are greatly in need of such a feature. Doing a good job of implementing this feature would be a real plus.

Furthermore, if they do implement another request, tabbed chart windows, they will find that links are in much higher demand and the current scheme is way too limiting. The event bus architecture would support an unlimited number of links, too.

--EV
          Last edited by ETFVoyageur; 02-28-2014, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Hi EV,

Thanks for writing down your thoughts.They will be passed on to our development team.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
            4 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post DynamicTest  
            Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
            4 responses
            0 likes