Futures Pivot Points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Futures Pivot Points

I trade the ES Future E-mini S & P 500. I would like to include institutional pivot points on my chart; Daily Pivot Point, R1, R2, R3, R4 – S1, S2, S3, S4, as well as intraday pivot levels. It’s my understanding that the Pivot Point indicator offered on the Ninja Trader platform uses the market close to establish levels and not the settlement price required for futures trading. I’m looking for some help or direction to include these levels in my charts. Do I get the settlement price from my broker and if so, does anyone have any experience on how to go about doing that? What pivot point formula works best for the futures markets? I use AMP and CQG. I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!!

Positively!

Originally posted by joescott View Post
    I trade the ES Future E-mini S & P 500. I would like to include institutional pivot points on my chart; Daily Pivot Point, R1, R2, R3, R4 – S1, S2, S3, S4, as well as intraday pivot levels. It’s my understanding that the Pivot Point indicator offered on the Ninja Trader platform uses the market close to establish levels and not the settlement price required for futures trading. I’m looking for some help or direction to include these levels in my charts. Do I get the settlement price from my broker and if so, does anyone have any experience on how to go about doing that? What pivot point formula works best for the futures markets? I use AMP and CQG. I appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance!!

Positively!
    If you actually tried to load the NT Pivots indicator, you would see that your question has been anticipated, and you can specify the value that you want to use. Get the settlement value from your broker, and input it using the PropertyGrid.

Comment

koganam,

Thanks for your response. It answered some of my questions. I have in fact loaded the NT pivots indicator previously and found it to be close to what I was looking for, but not quite everything. In addition to the main pivots, I would also like interday pivots. I've seen what I'm looking for on another site, so I know it's out there. Thank you for clarifying that I need to get the settlement price from my broker. I'm not quite sure how to use the "property grid," but have access to a programmer who can probably help me. Thanks again for your time.

Positively!

JoeScott

Comment

Originally posted by joescott View Post

Positively!
        The NinjaTrader pivots indicator allows you to calculate Globex (full session) pivots from daily or intraday data.

If you use daily data (set indicator to PriorDayHLC = DailyBars), the pivots will be calculated from daily high, daily low and daily close, as supplied by your data supplier. Some of the data feeds (CQQ, Rithmic) supply the regular close, other datafeeds (Kinetick, DTN/IQ) supply the settlement price as daily close.

With the CQG datafeed, you simply do not get the settlement price. NinjaTrader cannot invent it either, so your pivots will be calculated by using the RTH close at 3:15 PM CT (index futures). In order to access the settlement price you need to switch to a different datafeed.

Personally I am combining Kinetick (first-connect) with Interactive Brokers (second-connect). That way my pivots are calculated from the settlement price, if I set them to "DailyBars". I use one of my own indicators as per link below:

Comment

Pivot Points Indicator

I downloaded this indicator and imported it into Ninjatrader 7. However, absolutely no pivot points are plotting on my charts. So what do I need to do to get these lines to plot?

Thanks
          FB

Comment

Originally posted by fredly View Post
            I downloaded this indicator and imported it into Ninjatrader 7. However, absolutely no pivot points are plotting on my charts. So what do I need to do to get these lines to plot?

Thanks
            FB
            Maybe connect to a datafeed or increase the lookback period of your chart?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by maybeimnotrader, Yesterday, 05:46 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
            Started by Perr0Grande, Yesterday, 08:16 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse