Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

where do i specify ''use mid point'' for chart data prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

please refresh my memory [because I think I did it once but I can't remember] ...

I think it means use the price which is midway between bid and ask. i
    need it for forex charts.

Hello joemiller,

Thank you for your post.

The bar data in the chart can be based only on bid, ask or last price data. I believe that the option you're thinking of is the 'Input Series' option used by indicators where there is a median price option.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

bid price on ninja chart not identical to broker's bid price?

thanks kyle.

I asked because I am chart trading, connected to a simulation account with interactivebrokers.

I am trading two securities, ES 06-14 [emini s&p] on the cme and $eurusd on the forex. for the emini, bid prices are identical for both ninja and interactivebrokers.
      however for $eurusd they are not the same.

is there a way to make $eurusd behave like the emini because a time or two a trade has been executed by the broker when the ninja data box says the trade price was not hit?

Comment

Hello joemiller,

Can you please check if you have HalfPip selected for 'Quote currencies (FX) in'. You can find this setting at Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->Data-tab. If not, please change it accordingly and check if the same prices are received in NinjaTrader.
        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

yes, 'Quote currencies (FX) in' is HalfPip

Comment

Could it be you are comparing the prices with charts in TWS? By default, TWS uses midpoint instead of the bid/ask in their charts. NinjaTrader forex charts are build by bid data.

Once you set the TWS chart to use bid/ask, data should be more similar.

Can you please open the Chart Settings menu in TWS and set 'What to show' to Bid/Ask instead of Midpoint.

Please see the forum thread below that handles the same topic for more information.

Can you please check what TWS version you have installed. You can check this at Help-->About TradersWorkStation. If you do not have version 938 installed, please install this version from the link below.

If the issue remains, please post a screenshot that shows the difference.

Comment

charts .... nope, not using tws charts.

version .... I use tws browser based version so version is always current.

I compare tws bid price with ninja bid price. they are always identical for s&p but always different by the same amount for $eurusd.

in summary, my objective is to make $eurusd behave like the s&p if possible. the forex exchange structure does not conform to u.s. exchange structure and rules so maybe I have to live with what is. I am merely searching for the solution if there is one.

Comment

Do you see a difference if you compare it to prices in the TWS standalone version?

Do you select an exchange for forex instruments when you select them in the TWS browser based version? If so, which one? If you can select IdealPro, please select that one and check if bid prices are the same.

When I test it on my end, I see the same bid price. The last price is different, because NinjaTrader reports the bid price as last price for forex instruments.
                Attached Files

Comment

Do you see a difference if you compare it to prices in the TWS standalone version?
                  I would have to download and install standalone .. a big hassle. they just told me there is no difference between browser and standalone except that browser is always current. if reasonable to do, perhaps you could talk to tws about it?

Do you select an exchange for forex instruments when you select them in the TWS browser based version? If so, which one? If you can select IdealPro, please select that one and check if bid prices are the same.
                  I just get on tws and go. don't know about all that other stuff.

When I test it on my end, I see the same bid price. The last price is different, because NinjaTrader reports the bid price as last price for forex instruments.
                  yep, so far, for me, the bid price seems to be the important one to focus on.

Comment

I do not understand. You need TWS standalone to connect to IB in NinjaTrader as per the IB connection guide at the link below.

Do you connect to a different data feed provider in NinjaTrader?

Comment

how embarrassing ... it flew completely out of my mind that I had switched to standalone. I apologize for the confusion. I went to standalone in early march so the version must be current or close to it. don't want to shut down tws today because I am working a problem with Patrick requiring that it not be shut down.

perhaps I should put this dialogue in standby until Monday when the scenario is less complicated.

appreciate all the prompt and good help.

Comment

kyle and Jason,
                        thanks for all your help.

per your suggestion I downloaded version 938 via http://www.ninjatrader.com/Connectio...tion-Guide.php
                        maybe 938 was already there, not sure, forgot to check. anyhow whatever I have when trading begins next week I will live with ... it's not all that big a deal.

i'm bailing out. I don't have any more time to mess with this. it is working good enough for me the way it is.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by junkone, 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
                        9 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post jeronymite  
                        Started by trilliantrader, 04-18-2024, 08:16 AM
                        4 responses
                        0 likes
                        Last Post trilliantrader