How to read the previous day?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to read the previous day?

Hi there :-) I have a question: I need to the value from the highest (and lowest) closed bar on a 10-Min-Timeframe of the previous day, as you can see in the picture (value at the red line). How can I do this? It should be independent of starting time on the current day, the best would be if it looks back by date. Thank you for help.
    Uwe
    Attached Files

Hello Uwe1981,

There is a great example on getting Prior day data included with Ninjatrader. If you go to Tools -> Edit Ninjascript -> Indicator
    Look for the PriorDayOHLC indicator.
    This has all the Time references and shows how they are used; I think it would be a great resource to take a look at

You could then implement a MIN() and MAX() to determine the highest and lowest from the data series.

You may also want to use the Bars.FirstBarOfSession to find if the bar is the first bar of a session. here is more information on that.

Here is Reference to the MIN and MAX methods

Here are a couple of links to the ToDay and ToTime methods,

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance
    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jesse and thank you. I think that the PriorDayOHLC indicator isn't usefull because he returns the "touched" high, not the closed high. Maybe MIN/MAX with a while-loop could be the answer.

But there still is the problem with the date. I will try to describe it once again. Today we have 12.04.2014. If I'm starting up now my strategy, the programm should read out and compare every bar from the 10-min yesterday's chart. I would do this in a loop. But I need some parameters like bar-timestamps to discover where yesterday begins and where it ends. The read xx BarsAgo wouldn't work because it describes a range of quantity and in this case the programm must start and read at 0:01 to get the full and right range. If I would start up on 9:00 it would read from 9:00 yesterday to 9:00 today.

I think the easiest way would be to read out the bar-timestamps, searching back for the "yesterday 0:00" in a while loop and from there read out the range in a second while-loop (if date = 20140411 && time < 23,5,0 ) for example. But how can I get informations of date and time of a bar to control the loops?

Greetings
      Uwe

Comment

Hello Uwe1981,

Thank you for clarifying your question. Here is what I have come up with for your example.

I have used the ToDay and ToTime methods to:
        Check if the current bars date that is being processed is from yesterday using a time stamp.
        If the bar is from yesterday, check if it is between a range of hours

When you use the ToDate() or ToTime() methods, it returns a INT value of the date E.X.: 04/14/2014 would be 20140414 as a INT.

Code:
        int yesterday = ToDay(DateTime.Now.AddDays(-1)); 
        // Gets yesterdays date based on what day it is currently.

if (ToDay(Time[0]) == yesterday) // checks if current bars date is equal to yesterdays date
        {
          if (ToTime(Time[0]) >= 90000 && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 230500) // checks if the current time is between a range
          {
            // Logic goes here
          }
        }
        You can do as you said in your example too
        Code:
        if (ToDay(Time[0]) == yesterday && ToTime(Time[0]) <= 230500)
        {
        //Logic here
        }
        Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
        JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by Lumbeezl, 01-11-2022, 06:50 PM
        31 responses
        1 like
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Adrian  
        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
        5 responses
        0 likes