Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CQG connection issues

hoping to get some feedback on my connection issues

after successfully demo'ing amp/cqg on NT for months i went live a couple weeks ago and have been experiencing all sorts of issues. right now NT goes through patches where it is unusable.

this morning is typical of the last couple weeks: with 8 charts open tracking index futures the data is updating only once every 10 seconds or so, even on tick charts, and when i click on a chart or move the global cursor around NT will freeze, not responding, and then recover about 30 seconds later.

argh. so i went through a couple things with support via email but did not get anywhere. after deleting the general workspace file i rebuilt my primary workspace from scratch and thought i discovered something when i opened a small timeframe TF chart. it would always freeze up when i opened this chart. so i deleted all data and restarted and it worked for awhile, but problems resurfaced shortly after.

i have all indicators set to calculate on bar close. all eight of my charts have minimal data loaded and have approx. one indicator each.

after doing a search on the forums i see other people are having the same problem with a common characteristic: NT freezes and lags when market is volatile, but when market is slow NT is ok. for example, during market open NT is unusable for me, but other times it can be normal. so is it amp/cqg or is it me?

couple things about my setup that could be contributing: i am connecting from indonesia using a 3MB internet connection. but the connection is consistent and i mostly believe that with my minimal workspaces my bandwidth isn't a factor. and sometimes i open NT with no amp connection and it is still laggy.

willing to try anything at this point. please help so frustrating to finally go live and not be able to trade

Hello pkmurphys,

Thank you for your post.

The items you detailed would lean towards the NinjaTrader platform's performance and not your internet connection or data feed provider. Are you losing connection to CQG as well?

Comment

ok, good to hear something definitive.

i do lose connection to cqg sometimes, but i don't feel this is the issue because i will have days when my connection is rock solid and all the aforementioned problems still persist. typically, while all this freezing/lagging is happening, i still have green connection showing....

Comment

Hello pkmurphys,

Thank you for you response.

A disconnect would stop the data in most cases, but the items you detail are performance and not connections related.

There are items to look into to improve the performance of the NinjaTrader platform. These items are not an end all to performance items, and you may need to only set one property or change one item on your charts or you may need to change several.

Some items to consider are the following:
        • The number of running indicators on your charts that are...
          1. third party indicators
          2. running as CalculateOnBarClose = false
        • Any chart you are not viewing at all time that are updating the display frequently via the 'Display update interval (sec)'
        • And any chart that is loading several days worth of data

All the items above attribute to the performance of NinjaTrader, but you can find more at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ance_tips2.htm

For example, if you have a chart that is not always being viewed you can right click in it > select Properties > and change the 'Display update interval (sec)' to a higher value > OK. Or maybe there is a chart loading several days worth of data that is not necessarily needed for that chart. You may even find indicators that do not need to update on every tick and you can set them to CalculateOnBarClose = True.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by arvidvanstaey, Today, 02:19 PM
        2 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post arvidvanstaey  
        Started by jordanq2, Today, 03:10 PM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH