Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of Chart with multi-time frame

Hello to everybody,
    I want to use multi-time frame with drawing on each time frame chart. Is it possible to jump between the data series, without automatic restart of my strategy script?

What I am looking for:

1. Multi-time frame strategy
    2. Strategy plots in all time frames.
    3. Change between data series to see the detailed plots.
    4. During change no restart of the Strategy.

I tried to find some information, but wasn´t successfull. Is there an easy solution or do I have to use two chart windows? One for the strategy and one as indicator?

Thanks for your help.
    uupsa

Hi uupsa,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader forums!

Yes, it is possible to choose what data series to process on and choose which data series you would like to get data from.

There is a SampleMultiInstrument strategy that is provided with NinjaTrader to help get you started.

Also, here are a few links to point you in the right direction.

BarsArray - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../barsarray.htm

BarsInProgress - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...inprogress.htm

Closes (same as close but for multiple instruments) - http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nt7/closes.htm
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

thanks for your fast reply! I think I fully understand managing different data series in a strategy. I have a question regarding visualization.

The problem is, that I generate drawing objects in each data serie (into the price panel). For better visualization of each time frame, I want to change the data serie in my chart window while the strategy is running. The advantage: I can see the progress of each time frame in detail. So far, I recognized, that when I change the data serie on the chart window, the strategy script stops and all calculations start from the beginning (with visualization for the new indicated time frame).

My question is: Is there a possibility to jump between the different data series in the chart window, without stopping the strategy script (only the visualization part changes).

Thanks
      uupsa.

Comment

Hi uupsa,

I haven't tested this, but one way I can think of would be to set the values of all the plots, set their colors to transparent, and have a button to toggle their color one at a time.

You would need to change the plots pen.
        http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../nt7/plots.htm

And you would need a button. Below is a link to a sample indicator that has custom buttons.
        http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...php?linkid=490

Comment

Hi ChelseaB,

just to understand you right:

1. With a strategy (using multi time frame, for example: 60min & daily) running, there is no way to change the actual chart from a daily to a 60 min chart without automatic restart of the strategy?
          2. With other words: There is no way to keep the strategy running while changing the plotted chart from daily to 60 min? I would need this to see the drawing objects from the 60 min timeframe in detail.

That means:

1. That I only can plot one timeframe in a chart window -> the chart in which I start my strategy.
          2. All drawing objects (including the other timeframes) are visible in the plotted timeframe.
          3. I only can "sort" them by switching the drawing objects ON and OFF.

Do I get this right? Thanks for your help!

Greetings
          uupsa.

Comment

Hi uupsa,

That is correct. When you change the dataseries on a chart this changes the primary dataseries and causes any scripts on the chart to reload using the data from the new primary dataseries. It is not possible to change this and is a main function of how indicators and strategies work with NinjaTrader.

It would not be possible to change the primary dataseries and not cause the script to restart using the new data.

It is possible to plot more than one time frame in a panel. However, only the primary dataseries will be used for your script.

Yes, all drawing objects for all BarsInProgress will show on your chart. Its not supported to do so, but you can choose to have the drawing objects show in their own panel.

Yes, you can switch them by either removing the drawing objects and then redrawing them (this would take much more processing by the CPU) or you can set them to transparent and then recolor them when needed.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your help!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by Mizzouman1, Today, 07:35 AM
              3 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
              Started by RubenCazorla, Today, 09:07 AM