Charts/Ninja keeps freezing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charts/Ninja keeps freezing

I have a Dell desktop used just for trading. It is run by an intel i7-2600 with 3.4 Ghz and 16 GB RAM. My workspace is currently 1.3 kb although I have run workspaces much, much larger than this. I have 3 monitors and charts of various timeframes - 1, 5, 15, 60 and 240 min as well as tick and renko. I run a couple of footprint charts and volume profiles on a couple of charts. Each time I make a change to any chart, whether adding/removing an indicator or changing the parameters of an indicator Ninja freezes. The CPU usage runs around 12-13% and physical memory jumps up to 25-27%, it is 8 cores. I've looked at the usual settings - bar close, number of days to load, etc, and I don't think I'm asking for an unreasonable am't of days to load. (I see people who have years worth of data regularly loaded to their charts). Usually if I wait long enough (and this can be hours), the charts will come back on their own but sometimes Ninja will crash and tell me I've run out of memory and other times I just close it out in Task Manager because I've lost patience. As I said I've had larger workspaces and more complex charts and not had this issue, although Ninja has never, ever run very smoothly in the 3 or so years that I've used it.
    I've seen people with alot more charts running on laptops with a lot less processing capability and not having these issues. I would hate to think that I am limited to a couple of charts with nothing more than a few simple moving averages.
    I'm running out of ideas and patience, does anyone have any thoughts. Thanks

Hello flipper26,

First, please double check that there are no other multiple workspaces open. Click File -> Workspaces -> check to see if there is more than one workspace listed below the separator line. If there is, please close them.

Next, I would like you to make a copy of this workspace that we can modify.

Click File -> Workspaces -> Save Workspace As... -> give the workspace a new name -> click OK

Then, I would like you to remove all indicators from your charts and use only indicators that are supplied with NinjaTrader by default.

Are you able to reproduce the issue using only the NinjaTrader default indicators and no 3rd party indicators?

A quick tip, NinjaTrader 7's UI and scripts all run on one core. If your computer has 8 cores, NinjaTrader will be able to use 1 of these cores for a usage of about 13%. If you see NinjaTrader utilizing 13% of the CPU, it has likely maxed out your CPU core.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the response. Yes, I have already ensured that no other workspaces are running in the background and I regularly repair the DB. Ninja always runs around 13% so yes, I do know that the core has been maximized, but unfortunately with this version of Ninja it can only run on one core. I was hoping not to have to troubleshoot every single indicator on my workspace or rebuild the workspace, I thought surely my Ninja and my machine should easily be able to handle my charts but I guess not.

Comment

Hi flipper26,

That is basically what would be necessary.

For us to find out what is driving up the CPU usage we would need to rebuild your workspace.

There is a thread on Big Mike's forum that offers some minor performance boost tips.
        https://www.bigmiketrading.com/ninja...der-tunes.html

Comment

NT freezing

is this a need for a protocol to reduce memory use?

Comment

Hi laredo787,

To reduce memory, you can load less days on your chart and reduce the number of running indicators.

There isn't any protocol outside of code that will reduce memory other than loading less data.

Comment

memory

I know there used to be a protocol,can u asked aroudn the office

Comment

Hi laredo787,

I have asked a few other support technicians in our office, however, no one is aware of a protocol that can reduce memory.

Can you describe the function that you had been using previously?

Typically, users do not have issues with an amount of memory being taken unless NinjaTrader hits the memory limit which will cause NinjaTrader to crash.

Also, this is unrelated to the current thread as flipper26 is experiencing CPU performance issues and not an issue with memory.

I think it would be beneficial for you to create a new thread.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB; 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by laredo787 View Post
                  I know there used to be a protocol,can u asked aroudn the office
                  If you are talking about the GarbageCollector, Google: "+GC +C#" (unquoted).

ref: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...=vs.90%29.aspx

Generally speaking, using GC.Collect() is not a good idea, despite what it first looks like.
                  Last edited by koganam; 05-12-2014, 11:29 AM.

Comment

thots

yes
                    dump yr indicators

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by Sparkyboy, Today, 10:57 AM
                    1 response
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse