Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs your help/opinion about walkforward optimizing

Hey everyone,
    I developed a strategy that I have been testing heavily and now am at the point where I need to make the right decision on how to optimize and launch live. I am kind of new, and would really thank and appreciate someone experienced to share some tips for me ..as this would improve significantly my confidence in algo trading.

I have selected 5-6 stock instruments for this particular strategies by doing a broad optimization on the S&P 500 inex. When I do back-testing, I manage to get pretty good combined result for all 6 instruments. For 4 months I get 100-150 trades, with a cumulative profit of appox 50%-80% and a max drawdown of approx 5%.

I use slippage of 1 as I reckon it would not be possible to make perfect entries when in real market conditions. I also include commissions.

I however realized that backtesting is not the most reliable way to configure the strategy as it does not provide any consistency on of out of box sampling.

That's why I decided to do walkforward optimization.

My biggest concern is on what sample period to use for optimizing, and what would be period for out of box testing.

I did some tests with

90 days / 30 days
    45 days / 7 days
    90 days / 7 days

So far the best results are from the 45 / 7 days..and profits seem to be consistently positive on a weekly/monthly basis for a sample of 4-5 months (whole period) of combined out of box sample testing.

I however found out that most articles and recommendations are for keeping a ratio of 3:1 for in/out of box walkforward optimization.

My question is:

- should I aim at 3:1 walkforward optimization, or in this case 45 days / 7 (which is approx 6:1) is also ok as well? The 90 / 7 also results in consistent gains ..but with a sligthly lower net profit.

- The profit I manage to achieve with walkforward optimization is approximately 50% from the optimum I manage to get when I optimize for the whole period at once. Are these results sufficient to launch the strategy live and risk real money for this new strategy?

- Is it better to run the same strategy on one instrument with higher volume trades..or to run it simutlaneously for e.g 5 or 10 instruments with smaller volumes?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello Nikolaalx,

Thank you for your post.

There is no right or wrong answer here. This is going to be dependent on what kind of long term or short term trading you are looking to do.

I'm going to leave this thread open so that our other users can reply with insight they may have for you.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance and good luck!
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
    8 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post rehmans
    by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM
    0 responses