Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems charting and testing on imported data

Hi,
    I'm trying to test a strategy on more data that' available in NT. I found a source with daily data going back decades. Unfortunately the prices don't match exactly the live data from NT. Fortunately the general trends are still the same so I can still use it for tests.

I created a new instrument and imported the data. The data appears fine under the data manager. However I can't chart the data because I get an error message that the Ninja Trader data server does not support the instrument. I can display the data when I disconnect from the server but then I can't attach any strategies.

Is there any help with this?

Hi secreteditor,

May I have screenshots of the chart data series window, of the data showing in the data manager, and of the instrument settings?

To send a screenshot press Alt + PRINT SCREEN to take a screen shot of the selected window. Then go to Start--> Accessories--> Paint, and press CTRL + V to paste the image. Lastly, save as a jpeg file and send the file as an attachment.

For detailed instructions please visit the following link
    http://take-a-screenshot.org/
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Here are the images. I highlighted my data provider. I tried it both with and without the value.
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello secreteditor,

Why are you making a custom instrument for the ZB (30 Year U.S. Treasury Bonds Futures)?

Does the ZB instrument that is in the Instrument Manager by default not work?

There is no symbol mapping for CQG in this instruments settings so it will not work with CQG.

CQG uses USA for the symbol mapping for the ZB (30 Year U.S. Treasury Bonds Futures).

I would recommend that you use the ZB instrument and not the custom ZB_All instrument so that you do not cause issues with symbol mapping.

I would also recommend that you import the data to the ZB instrument.

Comment

The regular ZB instrument works fine but it only goes back 4 or 5 years. Would you know how to get more data than that?

I tried the regular USA mapping as well and it gave the same error.

The data that I found does not match the data in the current ZB exactly. That's why I don't want to mix the two. However this data should be good enough to run some tests against. Would you know the best way this could be accomplished?

Comment

Hello secreteditor,

The data from the ZB will come from which ever data provider that you are connected to when you request the data. Each provider's data may be very slightly different depending on how that provider collects data.

You do have the option to use imported historical data instead of the data provided by the provider.

To do this, you can delete the data that is there, then import from file. After this NinjaTrader will use the historical data you have imported first, and will only download new / missing data. This is true for backtesting and for charts.

Having two instruments mapped to the same symbol for a provider will cause issues with NinjaTrader as NinjaTrader when receiving data will only populate one of the instruments with that data.

To delete the historical data you have and replace it:
            • Click Tools -> Historical Data Manager... -> select the Edit tab
            • Right-click each ZB (with contract front month) -> select Delete
            • Click the Import tab -> import the file (with ZB <front month>.Last.txt as the filename)

You will need to import each front month independently.

Below is a link to the help guide on the Historical Data Manager.
            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...ta_manager.htm

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by frankthearm, Today, 09:08 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton  
            Started by yertle, Today, 08:38 AM
            5 responses