Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

2014 : NinjaTrader now reliable on a Mac - YES or NO !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2014 : NinjaTrader now reliable on a Mac - YES or NO !?

I am ready to return to Macs after almost 20 years of Windows. I can run everything on Mac OS except TradeStation & NinjaTrader. I am reliably informed (thank-you Barry @ emini-watch) that TS runs perfectly in Parallels and there is of course a "Lite" web-based version of TS.

So that leaves NinjaTrader.... if anyone is successfully running NT7 on a Mac, would they please share their experience here ? Parallels, VMF or Boot Camp ? By "successfully" I mean at least as well as within Windows.

I hope there is now a totally reliable solution, especially now that Nextrader is on the horizon (apparently very high-speed and entirely web-based.... but I don't want to have to even consider going there...).

Hello Jtrade,

Thanks for your post.

NinjaTrader is a windows application which relies on the .NET Framework to operate and the .NET Framework is only available on Windows Operating System. Below you will find the supported minimum PC requirements for NinjaTrader.
    Minimum PC Requirements
    • Windows XP (SP3 Required), Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 2003 Operating System
    • Minimum screen resolution of 1024 x 768
    • Minimum P4 Processor or higher
    • 2GB RAM
    • Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (pre-installed on most PC's or can be downloaded below)

While we do not officially support running NinjaTrader on a Mac; we have had many clients run NinjaTrader on Mac hardware. We have specific installation instructions for Parallels and VMWare Fusion which will allow you to run NinjaTrader on your Mac. Below you will find instructions specific to the available options of running NinjaTrader on a Mac computer.
    If you are using Parallels 6, please contact us for specific instructions. http://kb.parallels.com/en/4923

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for Parallels 7, 8, and 9:
    When installing NinjaTrader on a Mac using Parallels 7, 8, or 9, users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
    1. Start Parallels and select your virtual machine
    2. Press the "Configure" button on the top
    3. Under "Options", select "Sharing"
    4. Uncheck "Share Mac" under "Share Mac User Folders with Windows"
    5. Press "OK" and start the virtual machine

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for VMWare Fusion:
    When configuring NinjaTrader on a Mac running VMWare, users will need to ensure that the following steps have been taken prior to the installation of NinjaTrader.
    1. Start VMWare and select your virtual machine
    2. Press the "Settings" button on the bottom
    3. Under "System Settings", select "Sharing"
    4. Uncheck "Documents" from the "Mirrored Folders" list
    5. Close the "Settings" window and start the virtual machine

Mac Installation - Configuring NinjaTrader for Apple Boot Camp:
    When configuring NinjaTrader on a Mac running Apple Boot Camp, there are no special instructions needed.
    Vince B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the fast response, Vince.

I am indeed aware of the above - already posted on this forum - I am looking to hear from NT users personal experiences. Does NT7 run smoothly on a Mac or not, or is it a pain in the ass to set up and run & therefore better to stay with the dreaded Windows !?

Comment

I'll take that as a "No" then.... now, what's a good ultrabook... !?

Comment

I use NT7 on MAC with Parralels Desktop 9, that provide Windows support for win soft

Comment

I'm using NinjaTrader under VMWare Fusion since 2007 on many different Macs.
            No problem at all.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies - I've bought a Toshiba SSD Ultrabook running Windows 7 connected to one 24" monitor & so far I'm lovin' it

.My return to Macs delayed once again... I'm guessing until Ninja bring out a web-based version....

Comment

Hello jtrade,
                I have been running NT 7 for several years on Parallels Desktop 7/8/9. Now I use VMWare Fusion 6. NT 7 works perfectly. During this time I have changed several times of Mac (iMac / MacBook).
                Regards.
                Last edited by fpa75; 07-29-2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

Hello!
                  I have another problem with NT7 on Mac (Parallels 9). Often NT loses connection and after that the application hangs up.. I need to restart NT7 every time after connection has been lost. I use wifi internet connection. May be I need some special wifi setting for Parallels??

Comment

Hello AlexFX,

Thank you for the question.

For this I would recommend to use the Mail to support option inside the Help menu in NinjaTrader, Please attach the Log and Trace files so that we can look and see if there is a specific reason being reported.

Additionally for the wifi connection, there is no real guideline on using a wifi connection or setup for NinjaTrader. The only thing I can really say is that the connection is only as reliable as the signal, if there is a brief interruption in signal causing high latency this could cause a disconnect.

I always recommend that if you plan on trading live it is best to use a wired Internet connection because the chance of connection issues is very small. Wifi has a tendency to go through slow and fast periods as the signal travels through your house and across objects and walls, there is no guarantee on a set speed with wifi.

Please let me know if I may be of additional assistance.
                    JesseNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

@AlexFX,
                      Something I have not mentioned in my previous post, is that I have suddenly encountered network disconnections without apparent reason. The only change that was obvious was an upgrade of Parallels Desktop 9. This occurred several times during a week. Then I began to suspect PD9. I have moved everything to Fusion 6 and everything works fine since then (6 months ago). For me VMWare seems more robust than Parallels Desktop. You should give it a try.
                      In any case, as Jesse said, trading via wifi is a dangerous game that I would not do... There are already so many reasons to lose money on the markets...
                      Regards,
                      Fabrice

PS: I have signalled this problem to Parallels Desktop support. But I still wait their help... Another reason why I moved to Fusion.
                      Last edited by fpa75; 09-03-2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

thank you, fpa75!
                        I solved the problem by connecting via wire!

Comment

Originally posted by khe91 View Post
                          I'm using NinjaTrader under VMWare Fusion since 2007 on many different Macs.
                          No problem at all.
                          I'm thinking of running NT7 on VM Fusion 8 with a MBP Retina 15" 16GB 2.2gHz i7.
                          Are you still using your VM set-up? Do you have any benchmark test numbers by any chance?

Dankeschön!

Samir

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by Stanfillirenfro, Today, 07:23 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                          Started by cmtjoancolmenero, Yesterday, 03:58 PM
                          2 responses