Unable to Load Historical data, unknown Instrument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by number1 View Post
    Thank you for the update and good to know it is a universal bug and not isolated to me.

I was able to confirm, as you did, that once an instrument posts a trade (volume) then NinjaTrader will recognize the instrument as existing. Kind of silly to have reload charts pending a trade...

Regarding Sundays, I have been able to avoid the bug by expanding the data history to include a previous trading day (on a Monday use 3 days of data). However, for holidays this does not work likely due to something on NinjaTrader's side given its occurring on more than one data provider.

Can you test out next Sunday whether the 3-days of data on your chart dodges this known and continuung bug?

Number1

I usually have at least 5 days of history on my charts so I am already pulling in data from the previous week. I have been unable to find a work around the problem so far.

Cheers
    Mark

Comment

Keeping thread on topic of bug cause (front-month and/or historical data length is not the problem):

NinjaTrader, can you take today as an opportunity to replicate this bug and possibly submit for us for a pending fix?

Number1

Thank you for the update and good to know it is a universal bug and not isolated to me.

I was able to confirm, as you did, that once an instrument posts a trade (volume) then NinjaTrader will recognize the instrument as existing. Kind of silly to have reload charts pending a trade...

Regarding Sundays, I have been able to avoid the bug by expanding the data history to include a previous trading day (on a Monday use 3 days of data). However, for holidays this does not work likely due to something on NinjaTrader's side given its occurring on more than one data provider.

Can you test out next Sunday whether the 3-days of data on your chart dodges this annoying bug?

Would love to hear a NinjaTrader update, given they too have been able to replicate it on their side. If not, today is a good day to replicate it on your own NinjaTrader

Number1
      Last edited by number1; 01-20-2015, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Hello,

This is not a bug but rather a message letting you know that there is no valid data for the time being requested and will report an invalid symbol.

@Neokin, this message you are receiving for the 12-14 seems more like an open chart or order entry window is still trying to access this contract even though it has expired. Please check all your windows and workspaces for anything trying to request data for this specific contract.
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
          It appears that this occurs soon after the old contract expires and I simply select the next contract. Try selecting the March 2015 NQ contract instead.

Cheers
          Mark

I meant to say that this problem with superceded contracts has occured during the week for me and was solved by changing the contract month. If you are only experiencing it on weekends then it may be a different issue related to the strange weekend data issue discussed in adjacent posts.

Mark

Comment

You are correct that there is no valid data, but requiring a F5 chart reload repeatedly until a contract posts a trade all the while getting spammed with popups error messages doesn't seem acceptable coding. Can this be revisited and perhaps categorized as a potential bug?

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cal View Post
            Hello,
            This is not a bug but rather a message letting you know that there is no valid data for the time being requested and will report an invalid symbol.
            Last edited by number1; 01-20-2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Cal View Post
              Hello,

Hello Cal

So if I am reading your words correctly you are saying that if I happen to log into IQ Feed on Sunday night my time (Sunday morning US time) and try to load charts of 10 markets each with multiple indicators I can expect 50 or more pop up dialog boxes to occur because there is no valid data for the time being requested???? These 50 pop up dialog boxes all have to be manually closed. Surely there are hundreds of traders that review results on a weekend and prepare for the next week?

Am I missing something here?

Mark

Comment

Feel better Mark, I get hundreds each requiring a click

But seriously, this has to be categorized as a bug. It can be replicated also...At least use last close to be a place-holder for the missing data. I don't know, but anything better than what is current

Originally posted by FMtrader View Post
                Hello Cal

So if I am reading your words correctly you are saying that if I happen to log into IQ Feed on Sunday night my time (Sunday morning US time) and try to load charts of 10 markets each with multiple indicators I can expect 50 or more pop up dialog boxes to occur because there is no valid data for the time being requested???? These 50 pop up dialog boxes all have to be manually closed. Surely there are hundreds of traders that review results on a weekend and prepare for the next week?

Am I missing something here?

Mark

Comment

Feel better Mark, I get hundreds each requiring a click

But seriously, this has to be categorized as a bug. It can be replicated also...At least use last close to be a place-holder for the missing data. I don't know, but anything better than what is current

My 50 was a conservative number! I have four monitors and when I move the mouse pointer the pop ups follow to that monitor. I disabled the "explosion" message sound as it was going off every second for well over a minute when each pop up occurred.

The strange thing is I have at least four emails between NinjaTrader's Kyle and myself from December last year where this problem was discussed in detail. In none of those emails was it mentioned that this was a "known" message?

Comment

Hello,

The message is going to show for every item that is trying to access the instrument's data, including indicators. This is why you are seeing the numerous message being created.

This is an expected message that is being generated.

However, I will forward a note to Development to look into and consider for NinjaTrader 8 at this time.
                    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by junkone, 04-21-2024, 07:17 AM
                    10 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                    Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                    6 responses
                    0 likes