Volume Moving Average NOT Plotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volume Moving Average NOT Plotting

Hey Guys. question. If there are 1440 Minutes in a day. and there are 140: 10 min bars in a day.

If I want to calculate the last 125 days I would do 140 * 125 = 18000 Lookback Period on an SMA 10 min chart.

When I plot any Moving average to VOL and I set this or anything greater than around 10000, the Moving average just draws a Static Line and stays at a Certain Level.

Example: http://screencast.com/t/jYONdxW7

How can I fix this. I want the Average Volume for all 10-min Bars. and I thought this would give it to me.

Hello Ginx10k,

Thank you for your post.

You are using an extremely high SMA lookback and thus why this appears to be a straight line because the average does not change a whole lot and is scaled with the VOL indicator as well.

You can change the Scale Justification of the SMA in the indicator settings to Overlay or Left and this will show you a more varying plot.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for quick response. I changed to Overlay. and changed Max bars to look back = Infinite.

I now Plots at different Levels, but Still shows a Static Plot.

EXAMPLE: http://screencast.com/t/3EInnm3aQw

Shows SMA moving, but Only Shows 67M as average volume.

Is there a way around this. Or do you perhaps have a Sample Code Snippet I can use on a custom Volume indicator so I can get Average Volume over any amount of Time. Please help!!

Comment

Ginx10k,

I think there is confusion here with the Period property from the Indicators.

This setting will use this as the number of bars for the calculation. Thus if we put in 20 it will show the moving average of the last 20 bars. What you will want to do is load the chart with 125 days to load by right clicking on the chart and selecting Data Series...-> set the Days to Load to 125

Now you can set the number of bars for the Period that you want the SMA to use as a Moving Average.

Let me know if this is what you are looking for.
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think you missed something. I already calculated the 125 days in terms of minutes. that's If I want 10min bars for 125 days, it should be 18,000 bars. Unless I'm mistaken, so it should give the moving averages for the last 18,000 bars = 125 days on a 10min chart. If I'm NOT being clear please let me know.

My question is why is it not working. According to what you said if I open a Daily Chart and set period to 125, it'll check the last 125 days.

So why when I open a 10min chart, and Set the period to 18,000, it Doesnt give me the moving average for the last 18,000 bars which = 125 days.

If I have made a mistake with the Math, please let me know. If I'm NOT being clear enough please let me know. If you or someone else knows a way to do this, PLEASE Let me Know.

Thanks so Much!!

Comment

NEVERMIND< Lucked OUT

I found an indicator to do what I wanted. Thanks for Your Assistance. I'm good now.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Barry Milan, Yesterday, 10:35 PM
            3 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by WeyldFalcon, 12-10-2020, 06:48 PM
            14 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Handclap0241