When are daily bars created?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When are daily bars created?

I've been looking through NT help and haven't found an answer. My intuition was that a new bar appears when the day actually ends at midnight, but that doesn't seem to be true. Is it based on the current session? Or the default session of the instrument?

It isn't a problem if I'm trading live, because then I can calculate indicators on an incomplete daily bar. But when backtesting, I can only calculate on bar close, and I can't figure out a way to enter a trade immediately after receiving a new daily bar.

Hello Konoakapen,

Thank you for your post.

The Daily bars are closed when the new tick for the next session is receive or when the close of the day is determined. Each data provider uses there own method to determine the session close, unfortunately there is no method to change the session template used for the daily bars.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
      Hello Konoakapen,

Thank you for your post.

The Daily bars are closed when the new tick for the next session is receive or when the close of the day is determined. Each data provider uses there own method to determine the session close, unfortunately there is no method to change the session template used for the daily bars.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.
      Thanks for the info.

Do you know when Kinetick closes it, i.e., when in the day I can expect a new closed daily bar to appear? And is this time stamp still used in backtesting to determine the most recent daily bar available? Or when would each new bar appear during the backtest?

Comment

Hello Konoakapen,

Thank you for your response.

For the daily bars it should be 15 minutes after the close that the daily close will be updated. Are you using a real-time subscription to Kinetick or the Kinetick EOD Free connection?

The timestamp of the bar is still the close time of the session, this is the time that would be used in backtesting.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by inanazsocial, Today, 01:15 AM
        1 response
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
        Started by rocketman7, Today, 02:12 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post rocketman7