Market orders not filling anywhere near bid or ask on small trade size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market orders not filling anywhere near bid or ask on small trade size

Hi, I hope this close enough to the right section to post this in, but I'd love if someone could help me understand what's going on with my fills:

EDIT: Before you read the rest of this, I believe that I've solved the question and found that I am getting correct fills but the Positions Tab in Ninjatrader as well as the position line on Chart Trader are just giving false numbers and it's not harming my true P&L in any way

I'm using Chart Trader to simply buy or sell 0.5 mini lots of forex (5000 size) with market orders
    I'm connected to an Interactive Brokers Account, using only their data feed
    The Ask would be 1.3516 and I'd use a market buy to get in with such a small order size, and it would draw the blue entry arrow at 1.3516, but my open position would be recorded on the chart as being at a 4 pips worse fill at 1.3520 and my P&L would show -0.0005 instead of -0.0001 as the spread was only 1 pip at the time

So, does anyone already know about this kind of thing? Is my position really getting filled at the blue arrow (which was at the ask at the time) or is my position really being filled at the Open Position marker which is reflected in the P&L section of the Chart Trader panel, which says that even in a 1 pip spread market I keep getting fills that are 4 pips beyond the ask?

Thanks for any help or speculation guys

Edit: I've checked my trade history, and it seems that the Positions tab of Ninjatrader will say that my open position has a fill price of the 'erroneous' number that was not the ask price at the time, but if I look at TWS at the trade log it shows that the fill of the open position was at the correct Ask level, so I'm trusting for now that I'm getting proper fills and it's just an issue with how NT7 is measuring the open position's P&L - but that it's not affecting me adversely
    Last edited by RunnrX; 06-16-2014, 01:40 AM.

Hello RunnrX,

Can you please go to Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->Data-tab. Check what setting you have selected for 'Quote currencies (FX) in'. Since you connect to IB, this setting needs to be set to HalfPip. If not, please do so and check if subsequent trades will show accurate PnL.

If the issue remains, please tell me what NinjaTrader and TWS versions you have installed. You can check this at Help-->About (TradersWorkStation).
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thank you for mentioning that, because you not only fixed that problem, but you also fixed another problem I was having with dragging and dropping my pending orders -- IB only accepted half pip increments, so I had to be extremely careful to land on a half pip or else the order change would fail. Now I can just move the orders around easily - this is very relieving, thank you!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by pechtri, 06-22-2023, 02:31 AM
      9 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
      Started by frankthearm, 04-18-2024, 09:08 AM
      16 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post NinjaTrader_Clayton