Creating Identical Charts for many instruments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creating Identical Charts for many instruments

Is there a trick to making this more efficient. I use the default format template function, but still have to copy over drawing tools lines and load the strategy for each chart created.

Like, is there a way to make a copy of a chart which includes the drawing tools/strategy and just change the primary series for example? I have tried loading a second series and deleting the primary, but it won't let me.

Hello Kroeran,

Thanks for your post.

There is not a way to copy a chart that would include all these items. A template is intended to be applied to and instrument/chart type so items such as drawing tools would not be able to be copied.
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This may help:

* I created a series of charts, all for Microsoft ('MSFT'); saved as MSFT workspace.
      * Looked in the Ninja workspace folder, found the workspace, which has file extension '.xml'.
      * Copied the file, gave it a new filename of AAPL (keep .xml filetype).
      * Manually edited the new file and changed all occurances of 'MSFT' to 'AAPL'.

Fired up Ninja, was able to open the new workspace called AAPL and bango,
      I had a series of charts exactly like my first set, except that these plotted AAPL stock stuff.

I'm new to Ninja and altho I like the product, I couldn't see spending so much time creating the same set of charts time and time again, just for different securities.

After this -seemed- to work, I tried the above and made sets of charts for the Dow and SP500 and all of them appear to work just fine.

Note, however, that even tho my template came over fine, the only thing I had plotted on these charts were various moving averages. Therefore, I can't guarantee that other studies will transfer over. BUT, after eyeballing the workspace -source- files in the Ninja folder, it appears that these just build large parameter lists and config info that is input to the Ninja charting app. So, it shouldn't matter -how- these .xml files are created; rather, that what's in 'em are valid statements and commands.

Good luck...

Update: The above creates additional workspaces...I have not delved into this enough to be sure how to duplicate a chart(s) -within- an existing workspace. However, I suspect this could be done fairly easily be editing the .xml file and duplicating existing chart code and changing the chart name to a new instrument.

Worth a try, but I don't have this need at the present and won't be getting around to testing this for a while.
      Last edited by AMATX; 09-16-2014, 06:59 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:10 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post Waxavi
      by Waxavi

Started by TradeForge, Today, 02:09 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes