Trying to trigger based upon drawn lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to trigger based upon drawn lines

I am using another charting application at present, one that does NOT support trading from the chart. I need to switch to a charting application that does support this functionality.

In short I need the ability to manually draw a sloping line on a chart and have a trade auto-triggered when price hits that line.

I would need to be able to draw multiple line types:

1. Buy to Open
    2. Sell to Close

3. Sell to Open
    4. Buy to Close

I would need to think a little about OCO setups to 'group' lines but for now I am trying to find a way to at least open/close trades based upon the relevant line being hit.

My data provide if eSignal (including their GTIS feed for FX) and my broker is IB.

Is this something I can accomplish with NJ. Apologies if this is a basic question but I have never even seen NJ in operation.

Assuming it IS possible can you indicate at a high level the feature or method used to do this.

Many thanks,

Hello pcoghlan,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

You can trade directly from the chart in NinjaTrader via the Chart Trader. This functionality is going to work a bit different than what you detailed here. While trading from a drawn line is not possible, when you place orders in the Chart Trader at the desired points it will show these orders as a line on the chart. You can place multiple orders and utilize OCO for the orders you wish to associate to each other. NinjaTrader Order Entry also features Advanced Trade Management Strategies that are designed by you through a point and click interface.

Please visit the following links for more information:
    You can also download NinjaTrader for free and begin testing the software with your eSignal or Interactive Brokers data feeds.
    Please let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Apologies, upon further searches I find this IS possible. the coding looks to be beyond my capabilities. Is there a resource I can use to find a developer/consultant that can code this for me?

Thanks,

Comment

Patrick

Thanks for your reply. It would appear then that Ninja Trader will NOT do what I need which is to trigger entries/exits/stops when price hits a sloping line.

I will continue my search, thanks,

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
        Hello pcoghlan,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum!

You can trade directly from the chart in NinjaTrader via the Chart Trader. This functionality is going to work a bit different than what you detailed here. While trading from a drawn line is not possible, when you place orders in the Chart Trader at the desired points it will show these orders as a line on the chart. You can place multiple orders and utilize OCO for the orders you wish to associate to each other. NinjaTrader Order Entry also features Advanced Trade Management Strategies that are designed by you through a point and click interface.

Please visit the following links for more information:
        You can also download NinjaTrader for free and begin testing the software with your eSignal or Interactive Brokers data feeds.
        Last edited by pcoghlan; 08-26-2014, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Hello pcoghlan,

Thank you for your response.

You can develop a custom strategy to trade off of price crossing a drawn line or plot from an indicator. If you would like to take on learning NinjaScript, we have a fully documented help guide which will help you get started with Ninja Script. You will find language references to all of the methods and functions you will be using. You will also see a tutorial section which will help you create your first indicator and get you started with some of these concepts.
          A link to our Help Guide can be found below: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...stribution.htm

I am also linking you to the Educational Resources section of the Help Guide to help you get started with NinjaScript: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h..._resources.htm

You will find Reference Samples online as well as some Tips and Tricks for both indicators and strategies:
          Click here to see our NinjaScript Reference Samples: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=30
          Click here to see our NinjaScript Tips: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=3229

These samples can be downloaded, installed and modified from NinjaTrader and hopefully serve as a good base for your custom works.

There is a also a growing library of user submitted custom indicators (100+) that can be downloaded from our support form. Please look in the NinjaScript File Sharing section of our support forum as you may find what you are looking for there: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...splay.php?f=37

Comment

Apologies, I took from your prior post that this couldn't be done ("While trading from a drawn line is not possible").

So what you are saying is that a custom strategy would enable trading based upon price crossing a line.

Thanks again,

Comment

Hello pcoghlan,

Thank you for your response.

That is correct. Developing a strategy that would take trades based on a cross of a manually drawn object will require some advanced programming. You can take a look at the price alert for manually drawn lines at the following link for an example: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...d=4&linkid=472

Comment

Hi! Is there a strategy already in place which can generate orders upon prices crossing drawn trend lines available? I cant find anything on that. Would be very helpful as it is in my view a main weakness of NT with respect to competitive software like Tradestation etc...

Comment

I ended up getting it custom coded, includes OCO formation, trailing stop etc. Doesnt exist as standard though.

Originally posted by eddi0505 View Post
                  Hi! Is there a strategy already in place which can generate orders upon prices crossing drawn trend lines available? I cant find anything on that. Would be very helpful as it is in my view a main weakness of NT with respect to competitive software like Tradestation etc...

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by swestendorf, Today, 11:14 AM
                  2 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post NinjaTrader_Kimberly  
                  Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
                  4 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post xiinteractive