Draw a Square?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Draw a Square?

I am hoping I am just missing something simple.

I see a way to draw a rectangle under the drawing tools, but I need to draw a square with the lengths all the same?

The rectangle tool only draws the rectangle oriented north south on the chart.

I want to draw a trendline (hi to low or low to hi) and then be able to draw a square off the trendline as one of the sides to a square. If I try to copy the line and move it, it only stays parallel, if I try to line it up with the end of the other line and move it I have no way to keep the same length.

Is this not possible in ninjatrader? Seems like a simple thing but I can't figure it out?

Thanks in advance,

David

Ruler

Now truth be told I do hold a ruler up to the screen and measure it so I can get it close but geez...I keep checking the year to make sure its not 1990 and you would think ninjatrader could do this without me holding up a ruler to the screen.

Comment

Is square really square?

Holding a ruler to the screen will only give the illusion of a square. As soon as the chart resizes your square box is not square. A true square is the same vertical units (ticks) as horizontal units (bars). Of course the "truly squared" square will really never look square. There is a tool to use to visually square the chart (down to the pixel level) so that your square "looks" as square as it really is. Look for IT_ChartSquare and some "real" angle tools here.

Dan
      eDanny
      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Integrity Traders

Comment

gotcha

Thanks for the reply Danny,

I spent about three hours looking at posts on angles, slope, etc. So I fully understand the point you are making.

I want a perfect square based on the charts exact size at that time. I realize it will change if i adjust the time scale.

Have actually seen the website you are pointing me to and I may have to go that route.

I am just getting a little irritated that I can truly say that I have spent more money on indicators for ninjatrader than I have paid for my multibroker permanent license (over 3 grand).

Constantly having to pay for indicators that Ninjatrader doesn't provide is getting old. The flexibility in Ninjatrader is great for the coders because they are making mint. But the problem is I am a trader, not a programmer. So the flexibility in the platform isn't doing me a lot of good.

The other issue is it's nice to try an indicator to see if it will bring value to your trading before purchasing....that's not always possible when you have to have a an indicator built from scratch.

Anyway I appreciate the input and that's probably more information than you wanted to know, I just wish the answer wasn't always..."ninjatrader can't do that but here is a list of our partners that will be glad to do it for you for a price".

I am tired of paying for indicators basically, and so I have a rectangle tool in NT but no way to make a square or copy a line and keep it the exact same length and put it on the end of another line...I just find that unbelievable...but this is starting to be the norm for me and ninjatrader.

Sorry for the rant...so if I want a square on the chart I have to pay to have that done...unreal. I hate to come back to this everytime, but I have used more than 4 other platforms to trade with and all of them could draw a square and not have the orientation only be north south on a vertical axis. At some point "flexibility" becomes an excuse for create it yourself we aren't going to provide it.

Comment

Hello dbnita,

Thank you for your post.

I apologize that you are frustrated. Unfortunately, there is no way by default to draw in a square in the way that you describe. This may be possible with custom programming, although it is unsupported. I will let our users give their feedback on this item, maybe some of them have a tip for how you could achieve this.

Lastly, please know that we do appreciate and keep client feedback in mind. We are attempting to address a lot of our clients suggestions and concerns in our next major release.
          Zach S.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply Zach,

I would also be remiss if I didn't also say that out of all the platforms I have worked with, NT's support team has been by far the BEST. Their customer service is head and shoulders above anyone else.

If they could match the initial set of common indicators and drawing tools of another well known player they would be unbeatable.

David

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Irukandji, Today, 09:34 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post Irukandji  
            Started by TraderBCL, Today, 04:38 AM
            3 responses
            0 likes