Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WickColor == Same Color As Candle?

Hi-

First post, and I am doing some research into Ninja and MultiCharts amongst some other more expensive tools, and the most basic of features seems missing - being able to have the wicks the same color as the candle color. I dont want to start coding indicators if I can avoid it, so wondered if there was something obvious I am missing?

I have attached two images, from from Ninja and one from ThinkOrSwim which I have grown up on and am looking to replicate in the next tool I migrate too. As can be seen, to my the Ninja version looks terrible in comparison - unusable in fact, which is a shame. I am hoping theres a simple solution to this.

Thanks so much,

Nick.
    Attached Files

Hello ptpatrader,

Thanks for writing in.

You can change the color of the wicks however it is not based on the bars color. To base it on the bars color would require custom coding.
    See the link below.
    BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Brandon,

Thanks for rreplying. The link you attached has nothing to do with what I am trying to solve right, or am I misunderstanding?

Why would such a simple feature not be in version 8?

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by ptpatrader View Post
        Brandon,

Thanks for rreplying. The link you attached has nothing to do with what I am trying to solve right, or am I misunderstanding?

Why would such a simple feature not be in version 8?

Thanks,

Nick.
        Looking at those images, one simple thing you can do in Ninja is to widen the bars. You do this (among other ways) by right clicking in the chart -> select 'Data Series' -> Bar width (5th down on right). You'll also see options there for playing with bar color and outline.

Just to add that you can achieve wonderfully sophisticated things with color and thickness through coding - I would guess, better than on any other platform. Check out Help (in program or online).

Hope this helps.

Comment

Tried the bar width and it still doesnt look good, but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the advice about coding - I guess my point is, the feature has been requested multiple times over the years and yet it isnt in. That speaks volumes to me, as a software craftsman.

Thanks.

Comment

"I manage dto get some code that sets the color in the OnBarUpdate, but the Initialize() method doesnt seem to be the place to set my variables to the Up/Down variables/properties that are set for the DataSeries, which is getting persisted due to the SetDefault toggle on the DataSeries panel....

Accessing ChartControl.UpColor/DownColor in the Initialize method doesnt work - I need my colors persisted and set during setting up the chart. Do I need to add the indicator every time too?

Thanks,

Nick.

Comment

Originally posted by ptpatrader View Post
              "I manage dto get some code that sets the color in the OnBarUpdate, but the Initialize() method doesnt seem to be the place to set my variables to the Up/Down variables/properties that are set for the DataSeries, which is getting persisted due to the SetDefault toggle on the DataSeries panel....

Accessing ChartControl.UpColor/DownColor in the Initialize method doesnt work - I need my colors persisted and set during setting up the chart. Do I need to add the indicator every time too?

Thanks,

Nick.
              You get and change the wick colors, by changing the Pens in OnStartUp().

Between my responses in these 2 threads, you can figure that out. The first one identifies the Pen the you need to to manipulate to change the wick and outline; the second shows how to change the color; albeit in this case to make them look transparent, but it will show you the framework idea.

Yes, if you are using an indicator that changes bar characteristics, you must load it on every chart whose colors you want to change. You could also just load it on a chart, then set that chart to be the Default template, so that every new chart will inherit the template; with the indicator already loaded.
              Last edited by koganam; 09-21-2014, 12:16 PM.

Comment

That worked just how I needed it too, thank you.

Comment

Hi. I am also looking for that feature. Has this feature been implemented already, cause the thread seems to be very old? I have just downloaded a demo version of the app and it does not seem to allow change the wick color to a current bar color. For me is almost like no go

Comment

Hello johanrr,

You can configure only 1 color for the wick in the Data Series menu of the chart. So you could select either Red or Limegreen (default colors for price bars). Unfortunately there is no option to set the wick color to the price bar color.

JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Johan, Just happened to see this thread. In the past I worked on that to create colored wicks. Perhaps it'll help you. See image attached. Code is also attached in the enclosed cs file.

sandman
                      Attached Files

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by WeyldFalcon, 08-07-2020, 06:13 AM
                      10 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post Traderontheroad  
                      Started by firefoxforum12, Today, 08:53 PM
                      0 responses