Maintain Strategy on chart in Replay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maintain Strategy on chart in Replay

I have noticed when I am in Replay connection (haven't tried others yet), if I have placed a strategy on a chart, and then using the "Go to ..." right-click option on the Replay slider, the strategy is removed and has to be re-added (and re-parameterized).

Is this by design? A bug? If by design, why?

Hello mcatmull,

Thank you for your post.

Are you setting Go To to an earlier time and date than the time in replay that you enabled the strategy? Or are you setting Go To ahead of when you enabled the strategy?

I am unable to reproduce this behavior on the SampleMaCrossover, are you able to reproduce the behavior on the SampleMaCrossover?

Comment

Patrick:

I am pretty sure I was moving forward in time. I wish I had a DVR memory.

I just tried it on the SampleMACrossOver and I was able to replicate it.

The secret to having it disapear is to disable the strategy and then move forward (possible backwards). The reason strategy was disabled was I was wanted to change some of the parameters/properties and in order to do so, I believe I had to disable the strategy. I then must have forgot to re-enable the strategy prior to moving the data.

I am still unclear why you would remove the strategy. I noticed strategies are also removed when you close a workspace (although they do give you fair warning the strategies are going to be disabled).

So it appears it was coded this way. I am curious as to why, especially in my original case of simply trying to advance the slider bar.

Mike
      Last edited by mcatmull; 09-21-2014, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Hello mcatmull,

Thank you for your response.

The strategies when disabled, will not stay on the charts when changing the time to replay. I am not sure of the reason behind this, but it is likely releasing any items from memory that are not active on the chart.

Comment

Very frustrating.

Might I suggest this is a bug and a possible solution could be when you double click on the the enabled strategy on the chart, you get a message stating NT needs to disable the strategy temporarily (similar to what happens when you do a "refresh of the data" or NinjaScript (F5).

This would be a lot less frustrating.

Comment

Hello mcatmull,

Thank you of your response.

I guess I don't fully understand what you are detailing here. Is the strategy enabled when you use Go To or disabled when you use Go To?

Comment

I have done both. Suffice it to say, when disabled, it disappears from the chart (as you indicated Yesterday, 10:41 PM in your post).

My comment was purely venting how cumbersome this whole process of testing a strategy and having to always remember to ensure the strategy is enabled prior to using the "Go To..." (if in replay) or if exiting a workspace (especially when switching between live trading and testing a strategy and trying to keep data access down due to me using VOLume data).

I simply was giving examples of other items whereby NT code gives warnings relative the "enable-ness" of the strategy(ies)

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by zstheorist, Today, 07:52 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post zstheorist  
              Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
              8 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post rehmans