Show Chart Trader is grayed out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Chart Trader is grayed out

In the Chart Properties, the "Show Chart Properties" property remains grayed out after the strategy is disabled. The only way I can get the property to be un-grayed is to remove (that's right not just disabled) the strategy.

Surely, this can't be "Working as Designed (WAD)" and must be a bug. I find it hard to believe every time you want a chart to the SIM/Live mode you have to remove the strategies on the chart!!

When I had another issue with a strategy indicating that No Account was selected, when I was in Replay mode, the support personnel suggested keeping a duplicate of my workspace one with the Replay101 selected and one with Sim101 account select.

Again this can't be WAD!
    Last edited by mcatmull; 09-24-2014, 02:56 PM.

Hello mctmull,

Thank you for the post.

I believe that you are referring to the "Show Chart Trader" property, as there is no, "Show Chart Properties" options within the chart properties window.

Working under the above assumption I can confirm that anytime that a strategy is placed within a chart, enabled or not, Chart Trader will not be able to be turned on. This is by design and is not a bug.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Comment

Yes your are correct I meant Show Chart Trader...

I must say I am a bit surprised by NT's response that this is working as designed. What would the purpose for this property in the first place as you must set it to FALSE to put a strategy on the chart and then if you want to return using your chart in SIM mode you must remove the strategy (of course having to write down your parameters you were testing with prior to removing it).

When would you every use the False property except to be able to initially put a strategy on the chart to begin with? I suppose one reason would be if you have a DOM that you did all your order submitals.

If this is the reason, would it not be better to default all new charts to not show chart trader and then if the user wanted to use chart trader then they should set it to TRUE.

I am confident the amount of times an Chart Trader end user would change this property us much less than when Strategy user going through the development/testing process and constantly having to remove the strategy to be able to return to chart trader mode.

While my tone may come across as angry, I am not. I just want an environment that is user friendly for the task at hand.

Comment

Originally posted by mcatmull View Post
        Yes your are correct I meant Show Chart Trader...

I must say I am a bit surprised by NT's response that this is working as designed. What would the purpose for this property in the first place as you must set it to FALSE to put a strategy on the chart and then if you want to return using your chart in SIM mode you must remove the strategy (of course having to write down your parameters you were testing with prior to removing it).

When would you every use the False property except to be able to initially put a strategy on the chart to begin with? I suppose one reason would be if you have a DOM that you did all your order submitals.

If this is the reason, would it not be better to default all new charts to not show chart trader and then if the user wanted to use chart trader then they should set it to TRUE.

I am confident the amount of times an Chart Trader end user would change this property us much less than when Strategy user going through the development/testing process and constantly having to remove the strategy to be able to return to chart trader mode.

While my tone may come across as angry, I am not. I just want an environment that is user friendly for the task at hand.
        A default had to be chosen. They chose the one that does not make sense to you. You can always change the default, by creating a Default template, set up exactly the way that you want.

Heck, the default template can even include indicators that you load on every chart. One person in our circle has a SMA(55) as part of his default template, so every time he starts a new chart, his SMA(55) is right there from the start.

Comment

mcatmull, I can confirm this is working as designed per our specs and not a bug. The main thinking here underlying is that we would not recommend getting into strategy generated orders (except when calling the ATM templates via AtmStrategyCreate) and have all objects including strategies accessible from our default chart setup.

With that being said we definitely appreciate the usability feedback from our community and have this item listed as area to review potentially for our next major platform update, I will make sure to count a vote on your behalf in.
          BertrandNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post NinjaTrader_ThomasC  
          Started by f.saeidi, Today, 10:19 AM
          1 response
          0 likes