Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Data Box

Hi,

I have had the same problem now on several different occasions and have not seen a solution posted. At times the data box will not show even though the check mark beside Show Data Box is checked.

I know all about how it may be off the screen and how to move windows in that situation but this is not the case. First, I do not have an icon for it but more importantly it is not possible to uncheck Show Data Box; clicking on that has absolutely no effect.

I may be missing something simple or maybe this is a known bug. Any idea of how to get the data box back up in this situation short of closing NinjaTrader and reopening it?

Thanks

Hello ScottB,

Thanks for your post.

As a first step can you verify if your chart(s) are set to "always on top"?

This setting can be found by right mouse-clicking on the chart and 1/2 way down the context menu will be "Always on Top".

If it is active then it will show a check mark.

If it is active this would explain why you cannot see the data box as the data box would always be behind the chart.

Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Paul,

Thank you for getting back to me so quickly. No that isn't checked and the first thing I did was minimize the windows one by one. I checked task manager to see if there is anything under the applications tab and there was not.

I have also shut NinjaTrader down and restarted it. Upon restart, the data box reappeared but after I shut it and then rechecked Show Data Box it has again gone missing and as before, I cannot uncheck the box on the right click context menu.

Comment

Hello Scottb,

Thanks for your reply.

As the next step, can you verify that the Data Box window is set to "Always on Top"?

This is accessed in the same way by right mouse clicking on the Data Box window (when you can find it that is) and making sure that "always on top" is checked.

Please let me know if this does not resolve the issue.

Comment

Lol, it appears you appreciate the irony of the statement as well. Next time I restart, I will check that; in the meantime, I can't get to it. Under any circumstances, any idea why I can't uncheck the Show Data Box option on the right click menu?

Comment

Hello ScottB,

I have tried to replicate your issue here regarding the ability to uncheck the Show Data Box and am unable to.

If the issue remains, please send your workspace file to me by using the Help>Mail to platformsupport and check the "Workspaces". I would also suggest sending the log and trace files and these will already be checked to send. In the subject line of the e-mail please add "1160275 atten: Paul"

I look forward to your reply.

Comment

Paul, it likely has to do with crashes I had yesterday when the market went batty for a bit. NinjaTrader froze and then I got the circle of death which required a restart (twice).

My guess is somehow the xml file got corrupted; can you tell me what I could look for to straighten it out (I am a very experienced programmer).

Comment

Hello ScottB,

There are not specific items I could have you check within the files and these may not be the cause of the issue.

To verify we would need the files sent in to test here.

Comment

Thanks Paul; I will sort it out. This isn't the first time I have had this type of issue; worst case I will reconstruct the work space.

Comment

Paul,

I restarted NinjaTrader but didn't reconnect to my broker. The data box could be seen and did have always on top checked (which would to me indicate the box would always show). Unchecking that, closing the box and then connecting to the broker fixed the issue and I could then recheck the always on top option and it now works. I am going to attribute it all to the crash.

But now I have another much more serious problem. I feel like I have seen this in the forum and maybe even reported it but cannot find any of those posts so if there is a workaround, I cannot find any reference to it.

In an indicator, I draw certain horizontal lines using DrawLine; this works most of the time but at times, the line simply goes away when the chart is advanced one bar and then at some point along the way, it will reappear as mysteriously as it disappeared.

This is a once a day calculation so none of the values including the tag are changed by code once they are set with the exception of extending the line. It seems like someone posted there was a reason for this but as I mentioned, I cannot find the post so I am not sure it isn't just a plain old bug in the NinjaTrader charting code.

I have attached two screenshots one minute apart, complete with the (now showing) data box; the line in question is the gray solid horizontal line at 1962.50 in the first screenshot and you will notice it is completely missing in the next screenshot, including from bars where it was previously drawn. Any thoughts or can you point me to the posts I referenced above or better yet, any chance of getting this into your internal bug list?

I apologize in advance for the cheeky comment but I am well aware, you won't be able to reproduce this without my complete hard drive, my SSN, place of birth, the middle names of all my children and a list of all my prior programming experience so possibly you could simply to refer this to development. Or if you happen to know of a work around, that would be even better.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                      Paul,

I restarted NinjaTrader but didn't reconnect to my broker. The data box could be seen and did have always on top checked (which would to me indicate the box would always show). Unchecking that, closing the box and then connecting to the broker fixed the issue and I could then recheck the always on top option and it now works. I am going to attribute it all to the crash.

But now I have another much more serious problem. I feel like I have seen this in the forum and maybe even reported it but cannot find any of those posts so if there is a workaround, I cannot find any reference to it.

In an indicator, I draw certain horizontal lines using DrawLine; this works most of the time but at times, the line simply goes away when the chart is advanced one bar and then at some point along the way, it will reappear as mysteriously as it disappeared.

This is a once a day calculation so none of the values including the tag are changed by code once they are set with the exception of extending the line. It seems like someone posted there was a reason for this but as I mentioned, I cannot find the post so I am not sure it isn't just a plain old bug in the NinjaTrader charting code.

I have attached two screenshots one minute apart, complete with the (now showing) data box; the line in question is the gray solid horizontal line at 1962.50 in the first screenshot and you will notice it is completely missing in the next screenshot, including from bars where it was previously drawn. Any thoughts or can you point me to the posts I referenced above or better yet, any chance of getting this into your internal bug list?

I apologize in advance for the cheeky comment but I am well aware, you won't be able to reproduce this without my complete hard drive, my SSN, place of birth, the middle names of all my children and a list of all my prior programming experience so possibly you could simply to refer this to development. Or if you happen to know of a work around, that would be even better.
                      There is an unsupported, undocumented workaround.

Edit the config.xml file and change the AutoRemoveObjects entry to a more suitable value.

The usual caveats about unsupported features apply.

Comment

I appreciate the advice and I didn't even have to provide my entire hard drive or anything. Thank you very much.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottB View Post
                          I appreciate the advice and I didn't even have to provide my entire hard drive or anything. Thank you very much.
                          Well, I do not work for NT, so it would hardly be appropriate for me to ask for your hard drive, now would it?

Comment

Touché - good one!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by pmachiraju, 11-01-2023, 04:46 AM
                            8 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post rehmans
                            by rehmans

Started by mattbsea, Today, 05:44 PM