Indicators and CPU usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicators and CPU usage

I have some questions concerning indicators and CPU usage and hope you have some input on these.

I have two charts running for one instrument. The first chart uses a 1Min, 2Min and 5Min Data Series. It runs 8 indicators total. Two of these indicators additionally each reference/use a higher (15 Min) time frame.

The second chart runs on two Data Series, 15Min and 60Min. It contains 10 indicators total one of which is an MTF indicator pulling in corresponding 120Min data.

Questions:

1. Both charts run the NT Pivot indicator set on BarClose True. Does it make a CPU difference whether the pivots run on a 1Min or 5Min Data Series?

2. The two indicators in the 1Min chart which reference/use higher time frames could potentially be combined into one indicator. Would the fact of combining them into one indicator save on CPU usage? It would then be only one indicator executing all the functions previously expressed in two indicators.

3. If an indicator contains optional use of some functions and I do not use these, are these functions then effectively not being run or are they run "in the background" just not being visible?

4. Is there any other advise so as to cut down on CPU usage? (I already know solid lines are preferable over dashed lines, and OnBar Close True is less heavy on the CPU than OnBarClose False).

5. What is a good way to test whether my CPU actually can smoothly handle everything I see on my screen, or whether I should cut down on something?

sandman

Originally posted by sandman View Post

5. What is a good way to test whether my CPU actually can smoothly handle everything I see on my screen, or whether I should cut down on something?

sandman
    Let's see if you should be concerned in the first place.

Describe your machine you are running on?

single core? dual core? quad? hex? octa? intel hyperthreading? VPS? amazon?

what is the processor speed and ram?

Which operating system are you using? xp/vista/w7/w8/w8.1, 32 or 64 bit?

What is Windows NT Task Manager reporting (if available)?

Are you doing other things on this computer while running NT? Watching Youtube? Streaming live video?

If you are doing nothing else, and processor is under 25% on a machine built with dual cores after circa 2006, you should be okay.

What does speedtest.net report? 25mbs down is pretty nice... 6 up is nice too... if you are on dialup or overseas, you need to cut back on your expectations.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by Waxavi, Today, 02:00 AM
    1 response
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_LuisH  
    Started by alifarahani, Today, 09:40 AM
    5 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_Jesse