Simple orderId question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Simple orderId question

Sorry to be so simple but sometimes I cannot see my own mistakes. I am trying to print to the output window the orderId. I have this line of code:
    Code:
    private string  	orderId = string.Empty;
    I have this line of code to make sure a second order does not interfere with the first:
    Code:
    if (orderId.Length == 0  &&  etc
    And all that works fine. What I can't seem to do is print the orderId to the output window. Reading the hellp screens and seeing other's code it appears simple enough but it is not working for me.

I have tried both lines below, neither of which cause an error but neither of which "print"
    Code:
    Print (orderId.ToString());

and

Print (orderId);
    Do I need to retrieve the orderId first with a "GET" command?

sarasotavince,

When you are printing the orderId, has there been a value assigned to the variable?

If not, you won't get anything printed out as the string is empty
    Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I think you are right...nothing is assigned...So, oh Wise One, point me in the right direction...how do I assign orderId a value? Sample code is always helpful.

Code:
      orderId = ////?? what ?? and where do I get it?
      I thought orderId was a NT filled reserved field/variable...but I guess not.

In other words, what values are out there in NT after an order is submitted I can call?

And, how does that change (if at all) when I submit a limited order and 2 bars later it is filled?

The order is submitted but not filled, so is that orderId the same as when the limited order is filled?
      Last edited by sarasotavince; 10-08-2014, 10:48 AM.

Comment

sarasotavince,

Are you trying to a particular ID for an order or using Atm Strategies?

You would want to use GetAtmStrategyUniqueId(). This will create a random string text for you to use.
        http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...gyuniqueid.htm

Comment

Cal,

My mistake. I should have explained... I used to use ATM strategies and such but now moving to everything be programmed manually, so to speak. So the GetATM... is what I use now, but want more freedom and flexibility... so now I am using:

Code:
          myEntryOrderLong = EnterLongLimit(0,true,numberOfContracts,limitPriceLong,"Long");							SetProfitTarget(CalculationMode.Ticks,tradeProfitTarget);
          SetStopLoss(CalculationMode.Ticks, tradeStopLoss);
          and the likes..without the orderId and use thereof, I am having trouble canceling orders, making sure two orders do not happen at the same time, etc. As I am limited in my knowledge, I must have skipped a step about how to track an order once submitted. I am sorry but the help topics confuse me as they are generally incomplete and don't show enough examples to actually teach me when to use method A vs Method B. I have to do everything trail and error then make some assumptions based on what worked and what did not. I love to learn but for me C# is a slow process.

So, can this line be used with my above code?

Code:
          string orderId = GetAtmStrategyUniqueId();
          Or am I confusing ATM with preset ATMs already saved and called based on their names. When I used them, I simply numbered them, ATM1, ATM2, ATM3, up to 8... and depending on the profit and loss for the session, a different ATM# was used...but I had to keep changing the quantities and targets and stops on all the ATM# and re-saving and it was a good start but does not work for my futures plans...

Comment

sarasotavince,

If you are wanting to track fills and such then you would want to use the OnOrderUpdate() for tracking your IOrder objects.

Take a look at the following link for more information -
            http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...rderupdate.htm

Comment

Unfortunately I have looked at that link and can't manage to get the script to do what I want. I think I'll come at this from a different angle and post/start another thread. Thanks nontheless.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by philmg, Today, 01:17 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post philmg
              by philmg

Started by cre8able, Today, 01:01 PM
              1 response
              0 likes