Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

How do i change a message alert audio sound effect?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i change a message alert audio sound effect?

The audio alert sound when a message is displayed is a gunshot sound. How do i change it to another audio sound effect ... Such as a bell or chime?

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

In order to accomplish this goal you would need to replace the sound file itself with another sound. NinjaTrader's sound files are found in the C:\Program Files (x86)\NinjaTrader 7\sounds folder.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by joemiller View Post
      The audio alert sound when a message is displayed is a gunshot sound. How do i change it to another audio sound effect ... Such as a bell or chime?
      Hi Joe

Further to Bertrand's sound advice (what do you expect from an English sense of humor?), remember you can also record your own alerts: Windows has a sound recorder if nothing else is available.

I've found this very helpful, esp. if you're trading in more than one market at the same time, with alerts such as "ES Buy" or "Euro Sell".

These, as Bertrand suggested, have to be placed in the "NinjaTrader 7\sounds" folder and must be .wav files. If they're not, they can be converted free online at:

Comment

Originally posted by arbuthnot View Post
        Hi Joe

Further to Bertrand's sound advice (what do you expect from an English sense of humor?), remember you can also record your own alerts: Windows has a sound recorder if nothing else is available.

I've found this very helpful, esp. if you're trading in more than one market at the same time, with alerts such as "ES Buy" or "Euro Sell".

These, as Bertrand suggested, have to be placed in the "NinjaTrader 7\sounds" folder and must be .wav files. If they're not, they can be converted free online at:

http://audio.online-convert.com/convert-to-wav
        that was very punny [yuk yuk] ... love Britrish humor!

it appears that i must obtain a sound file or folder from somewhere. I am completely
        unaware of the concept. please advise. .

Comment

Hello joemiller,

The sounds folder can only contain the default sounds that are installed during the installation of NinjaTrader (see screenshot). If the sounds folder contains files named different than the default files, it can cause issues.

However as mentioned, you can replace the default sound files by a sound that uses the exact same name, such as 'Alert1', and it will likely work.

So you need to obtain a .wav file for the sound you like. Subsequently rename this file to the same name that is used by one of the existing .wav files. Replace the file while NinjaTrader is shut down. Start NinjaTrader and check if the sound is played as expected.

Please note this is not officially supported. If this will not play the custom sounds, I recommend to restore the files to their default settings.
          Attached Files
          JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

thanks Jason

how/where do I obtain a ''wav'' file?

Comment

I suggest to search the web for the .wav file you like or you can create your own with Windows sound recorder as arbuthnot mentioned.
              Find help and how-to articles for Windows operating systems. Get support for Windows and learn about installation, updates, privacy, security and more.

Comment

how about the following?

interchange the names of the files in the existing sound folder?.

Comment

Yes, that is an option as well.

Comment

Let me firstly say that Forum users should always listen to the brilliant Ninja staff guys. They know best!

I wasn’t aware that there have been issues placing additional and self-made audio files in ‘Sounds’. All I can say from my personal experience working with a good number of my own audio files (with their own ‘bespoke’ names) in Sounds for well over a year, is that I have never once had an issue, and they work well and instantly in providing alerts. This doesn’t mean that other Ninja users won’t have issues as Jason said – this is purely my own experience. (I have XP and my PC runs on steam – when it runs: it usually trots.)

The recorders in different versions of Windows produce different sound file types. I may be wrong, but I think that XP makes .wav files and Vista makes wma. As for 7 and 8, I have no idea. You can buy very cheaply USB sound recorders (very much like memory sticks) which produce a much better quality.

To find the type of audio file you have, right-click (in XP, at least) and if in Properties it says ‘Wave Sound’, you’re in business. Otherwise, use the link I gave below to convert them.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                      Yes, that is an option as well.
                      thanks everyone for responding. much appreciated.

is there a way to sample listen to the sounds produced by the wav files in the ninja sound folder ?
                      and/or ---
                      is there a description somewhere of the sounds produced by the wav files in the sound folder. ?

Comment

Just open them in Media Player or Real Player.

Comment

Originally posted by arbuthnot View Post
                          Just open them in Media Player or Real Player.
                          I got windows media center to working but have been unable to start windows media player. google results say to click on a task bar but I have not been able to display a task bar.
                          I have windows7 operating system

any comments, thoughts or suggestion will be much appreciated.

Comment

Please go to the Windows start menu and type "windows media player" in the Search field.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                              Please go to the Windows start menu and type "windows media player" in the Search field.
                              I get ''no results found'' for ''windows media player''.
                              I do get a result for ''windows media center'' but I have already explained my problem with that.?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by TraderG23, 12-08-2023, 07:56 AM
                              9 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post Gavini
                              by Gavini

Started by oviejo, Today, 12:28 AM
                              0 responses
                              1 view