Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

forex format on newky created instrument

Hello,

The price display format of currency instruments has a ' symbol between the 4th and 5th decimals or between the 2nd and 3rd decimals on /JPY based symbols, like shown on my screenshot attached.

When I create, from the Instrument Manager, a new symbol as a currency type, and use the same instrument settings, say for tick size, point value, etc ...dupplicating properly everything... There's no way I can retrieve that ' symbol between decimals on the chart price marker. The price marker won't display that separation mark ' symbol.

Is there a way to achieve that ' symbol separator on newly created symbols ?

(Hopefully my question is clear enough )
    Attached Files
    Last edited by SARdynamite; 10-09-2014, 06:14 AM.

Hello SARdynamite,

The ' symbol is determined by the 'Quote currencies (FX) in' setting at Control Center-->Tools-->Options-->Data-tab. If set to Pip, you will not see this symbol. Only when set to HalfPip or TenthPip.

Can you please tell me what newly forex instrument you created so I can test it on my end.

Let me know to what data feed provider you connect as well.
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jason,

I'm set to TenthPip already.

I'm working on a connection adapter with unknown instruments that I feed with live and historical data.

Anyway, for the purpose of the demonstration, eventually let's edit the FXCM symbol $GER30_CFDEUR. I just changed the Tick size from 1 to 0.00001 (5 decimals)
      Attached Files

Comment

Now I'm attaching the result.

The ' symbol is lacking on the price marker.

How can it be fixed ?
        Attached Files

Comment

This is a CFD that is available by default in NinjaTrader. It uses a tick size of 0.1 by default. It does not use the ' symbol to indicate a half or tenth pips.

Comment

The tick size of that CFD is 1 by default, the point value is 0.1
            If I change it's tick size to 0.00001 annd since it's listed as a Currency type instrument, shouldn't it adopt the ' symbol between 4th and 5th decimals ?

What if I create a currency instrument from scratch named $RANDOM and feed it with 3 decimals prices (tick size set to 0.001 , TenthPip enabled)... I can tell you the ' symbol will not happen between the 2nd and 3rd decimals ....so my question is, how to achieve that ' symbol on brandly new created instruments (which are not default instruments of NinjaTrader) ?
            Last edited by SARdynamite; 10-09-2014, 06:49 AM.

Comment

Yes, sorry I confused the tick size and point value.

Unfortunately CFD's will not use the ' symbol. There is no 5th decimal provided for CFD's.

The ' symbol is plotted for half pip and tenth pip prices. I am not sure how you would send such prices with your connection adapter. If you send 5 decimals, use TenthPip and a tick size of 0.00001, do you see the ' symbol?

Comment

No I don't. That is why I'm confused and wonder if Ninja runs an internal list of acknowledged forex instruments that will therefore carry the ' symbol and that instruments outside of this scooe would not be elligible for the ' symbol.
                Or else I'm missing a setting somewhere...
                Last edited by SARdynamite; 10-09-2014, 07:56 AM.

Comment

I checked with a colleague that is more knowledgeable in this area. Unfortunately it is not possible to have the ' symbol for custom created instruments.

Comment

Thank you Jason.
                    Hopefully this is a feature (enable / disable the ' symbol) that could added to an improvement list. Thanks again

As you may not know, some CFD brokers now quote their CFD instruments this way : xx.xx'x
                    Since NinjaTrader 8 will have CFD as a new instrument class, the ' symbol option on request for any instrument or instrument class, might be relevant !

Comment

I will send the suggestion to support the ' symbol for custom created instruments to development. Thank you for your feedback.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by techgetgame, Today, 11:42 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post techgetgame  
                      Started by sephichapdson, Today, 11:36 PM
                      0 responses
                      1 view