Commissions should be easier than this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Commissions should be easier than this

I am trying to apply commission for the ES. (E-Mini S&P 500 future) I have read many posts on how to fix all sorts of issues with applying commissions to NinjaTrader and cannot figure out how to apply commissions to one of the most commonly traded instruments. I have read the help guide regarding this issue but it doesn't help at all. I have gone to Tools > Options > Commissions and have modified Futures - Continuum to "$2.11 min. 2.11/0". This results in $2.11 commissions per trade. I need it to be $2.11 per side per contract. Please tell me what I'm doing wrong.

There should be a default commission structure for the most traded instruments. Please forward this request to the developers of version 8.

Thanks!

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

The settings which you've described are shown in the attached image.

Once commissions have been entered, they must be enabled. Please select the Tools menu within the Control Center. Select the Options menu item and check "Apply commissions to PnL calculations."

If other questions come up which I could assist you with please let me know.
    Attached Files
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Thanks for the reply! I'm still not sure it's working the way it needs to. I just want it set up the way that the NinjaTrader is going to charge me when I go live so I have an accurate portrayal of my income.

Can you please explain what each of these variables means.

First we have "Futures - CQG". Why that one and not "Futures - Continuum" or "Futures - NinjaTrader Continuum"? How do I know which commission setting is being used?

Next is the minimum. Why do you not have a minimum? What does that represent and where would it be used?

Third is the Commission level in the "Collection editor" The commission is $2.11. This is half of the $4.22 RT commission the brokerage charges. Should it be set like that or should it be the full $4.22 per trade?

I assume the "999" you have set in the "Units" line is how many contracts can be traded per trade and have the commission applied to per trade. In other words this function applies the "per contract per trade" portion of the commission. Is that right?

Comment

Hello,

The particular commission setting that you are using is going to be based off the connection. This is displayed in the lower left hand corner of the Control Center. This is the active connection to your account.

If you are connecting to NinjaTrader Continuum then input the values for the Futures - NinjaTrader Continuum

You will want to set the minimum value for 2.11$ as this a per side action (Entry or an Exit)

You don't need to worry about the last portion as this would be tiered commission meaning the commissions would adjust based on the number of contracts and so forth.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance.
        Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Cal,

It still does not seem to be working.

I just made a trade with 4 contracts. I gained 1 tick for a gross profit of $50. (4 contracts x $12.50 per tick) After commissions the profit was reported as $45.78. That is $4.22 for that one trade, which is wrong correct?

Shouldn't it have been a $33.12 profit?

$4.22 commission per contract x 4 contracts = $16.88

$50 - $16.88 = $33.12.

Below is a screen shot of how my commissions are currently set up. Please let me know how this should change.

Thanks!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Commissions.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	872479

Comment

BReal,

The commissions is going to report as per transaction. I.E. per order.

If it was one order of 4 contracts then you would see only one transaction.

However, I see from your first post that you need this to be a per contract and trade basis.
            With that in mind we would then need to setup a Tiered system, I apologize for the confusion.

Please see the attached image for setting up the tiered commissions, Note that you will need to apply this the connection type from whomever you are connecting to.

You will need to setup the commission level.

If the same rate is being applied to each contact then we can define the units has a very high number such as 99999999 and the rate at 2.11

You would then still want to establish the minimum rate at your 2.11 as well.

Let me know if this what you are looking for
            Attached Files
            Cal H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

There is no change. I changed the settings as you can see in the picture below. Nothing happened. Program is still only applying a $4.22 charge per trade rather than $4.22 per contract per trade.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Commissions2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	872481

Comment

Hello BReal,

Thank you for your response.

Changes to commissions will not be applied to previous/historical trades but trades going forward. Are you seeing the correct commissions on trades going forward?

Comment

No. I have tried trading after each change. With four contracts I buy and sell losing one tick and the PnL reports a loss of $54.22. My settings are $2.11 minimum. $2.11 in the tier rate and 99999 units.

Comment

Originally posted by BReal View Post
                    Hi Cal,

It still does not seem to be working.

I just made a trade with 4 contracts. I gained 1 tick for a gross profit of $50. (4 contracts x $12.50 per tick) After commissions the profit was reported as $45.78. That is $4.22 for that one trade, which is wrong correct?

Shouldn't it have been a $33.12 profit?

$4.22 commission per contract x 4 contracts = $16.88

$50 - $16.88 = $33.12.

Below is a screen shot of how my commissions are currently set up. Please let me know how this should change.

Thanks!

[ATTACH]30289[/ATTACH]
                    Your commission is setup wrong. See the attached picture for correct setup.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Hi Koganam,

Thanks for the reply but it's still not working. My settings are now $2.11 minimum. $2.11 in tier and 1 unit. I am still getting a $4.22 commission per trade regardless of how many contracts I trade.

Comment

Hi Koganam,

Thanks for the reply but it's still not working. My settings are now $2.11 minimum. $2.11 in tier and 1 unit. I am still getting a $4.22 commission per trade regardless of how many contracts I trade.
                        Show some pictures?

Where did you define the commissions? If defined on the "Commissions" tab in "Options", have you perhaps overridden it at the instrument level?

Comment

Just spent half an hour on the phone with support. They figured out that in the instrument manager the commissions were set up wrong.

Go to Tools > Instrument Manager > "Your Instrument" > Edit > Misc Tab. Anything in this area will override any commissions set up in the Tools > Options > Commission Tab. This is the "Global" commissions set up.

If you intend to trade more than one instrument it is wise to set up the commissions for each instrument in the Instrument Manager.

My settings are now 0 for minimum. The tier rate is $2.11 and 1 unit. This WORKS!!!

Comment

Just spent half an hour on the phone with support. They figured out that in the instrument manager the commissions were set up wrong.

Go to Tools > Instrument Manager > "Your Instrument" > Edit > Misc Tab. Anything in this area will override any commissions set up in the Tools > Options > Commission Tab. This is the "Global" commissions set up.

If you intend to trade more than one instrument it is wise to set up the commissions for each instrument in the Instrument Manager.

My settings are now 0 for minimum. The tier rate is $2.11 and 1 unit. This WORKS!!!
                            Which was the question that I asked you in the immediate antecedent response.

"If defined on the "Commissions" tab in "Options", have you perhaps overridden it at the instrument level?"

Comment

Thanks Koganam!

I hadn't seen that response yet. I might not have understood what you were talking about because I didn't know there were two places to adjust commissions until going over it on the phone with support. Thank you for your efforts!

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by adeelshahzad, Today, 03:54 AM
                              5 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_BrandonH  
                              Started by stafe, 04-15-2024, 08:34 PM
                              7 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB