Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can I use ATM Strategies to place orders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I use ATM Strategies to place orders?

Instead of entering just a market or limit order with a stop or trailing stop, can I use one of my ATM strategies instead when the Strategy Analyzer enters an order? How do you do this?

Thanks,
    Bryan
    cassb
    NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Logical Forex

Thank you for your post.

The ATM strategies cannot be included in your Strategy but you can use the OCO function to protect your open position.

Here is a link with instructions:
    JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Jessica. What I am most interested about in using ATM strategies in Strategy Analyzer is having two targets and a two-step auto trail. So do I have to set this up manually in the Strategy to place this kind of order? Is there a help guide page that shows how to do this?

Thanks!
      cassb

Comment

Unfortunately there are no reference samples specific to this.
        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I took the original post to mean "can I use atm strategies when running Strategy Analyzer"

which is exactly what I would like to do also...meaning I would like to do EntryLong and specify an atm

My cs uses AtmStrategyCreate for real-time trading...however this will not work when testing my cs in Strategy Analyzer.

So I am writing additional code to enter/manage trades such as EnterLong and SetTrailStop

I would prefer to use the same atm strategies I use in real-time trading.

Based on the posts below I assume this is not possible.

Comment

Originally posted by ATI user View Post
            I took the original post to mean "can I use atm strategies when running Strategy Analyzer"

which is exactly what I would like to do also...meaning I would like to do EntryLong and specify an atm

My cs uses AtmStrategyCreate for real-time trading...however this will not work when testing my cs in Strategy Analyzer.

So I am writing additional code to enter/manage trades such as EnterLong and SetTrailStop

I would prefer to use the same atm strategies I use in real-time trading.

Based on the posts below I assume this is not possible.

Hey... looking through the Help Guide, I found this method: AtmStrategyCreate()

You said you already use it in a strategy -- doesn't it open an order using an existing ATM strategy you've created in the SuperDOM? That's what I was asking about.
            cassb

Comment

I suggest you check out the SampleAtmStrategy preinstalled with your NinjaTrader for an idea of how the Atm() methods work together.
              Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Josh

Ok. I have a different problem then.

First, if you run SampleAtmStrategy in Strategy Analyzer, it does not make any trades.

If you comment out the historical code:

// if (Historical)
                // return;

then it makes trades....however not using an atm strategy (even though the correct atm exists)

it will make a trade and exitonclose.

if you add:

SetTrailStop(CalculationMode.Ticks, 30 );

it will make the proper trailing stop trade and exit accordingly

however, I could not get it to run an atm...please confirm if you can

In the case of my cs, I am in the process of making sure it does not check order status prior to making its first trade as I get errors saying an id does not exist. The first error in the log however is "ATM strategies can not be created on historical data"....any ideas on that one?

Thanks

Comment

Josh

If you run the sample as I suggest, you will get the exact same atm errors in the log that I am getting.

So...both the sample and my cs have the same problem running atms in Strategy Analyzer

Thanks

Comment

correction....

I forgot that I forced the sample to make trades by using EnterLong()...

It will not make a trade due to atm id errors in log...

same problem I was having with my cs...which is why I added the EnterLong() and SetTrailStop to mine

Comment

NinjaScript strategies that "create" ATM strategies cannot be backtested (in the Strategy Analyzer) only forward tested (in Market Replay or Realtime) hence the required if (Historical) return; statement in the SampleAtmStrategy. ATMs operate largely on an update-by-tick basis whereas Strategy Analyzer backtesting is limited to on-bar-close operations with certain intrabar exceptions (e.g., Set exits, IOrder processing).

Regards,

Whitmark
                      whitmark
                      NinjaTrader Ecosystem Vendor - Whitmark Development

Comment

thought so...thanks.

Comment

Using ATM with strategy

Is there a way to use ATM's as an exit strategy for a trade that is running from a strategy. I don't see a way in the 'stops' section of the wizard to have a b/e stop after n ticks. I think I have used othere strategies that allow use of the atm.

thanks

Comment

gkinlaw,

You can, but to do so requires custom programming in NinjaScript. This cannot be done from the Strategy Wizard.
                            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Atm

I guess I can enter it manually on the dom. turn OCO on , put in b/e stop and turn OCO off (thats what I read a while ago)???

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post DynamicTest  
                              Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                              4 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post ScottWalsh