Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instrument settings "Currency"

Hello,

Just wondering, why some default Ninja instruments are not configured properly.
    For instance, /JPY pairs (USD/JPY, GBP/JPY, etc) get real PnL from trades in JPY currency from the broker side unlike pairs that end by /USD (unless some account conversion occur but it is always some post trading facility)

So why Ninja does not configure the /JPY pairs with the "Currency" field from the instrument settings as "JapaneseYen" instead of "UsDollar" ?
    It does not make sense to have a feature and not use it by default ?! Else I'm missing on something...

Having the currency right is important for display (ChartTrader) and also correct information (backtest / optimisation results, etc) $1 being not the same as ¥ 1

Hello SARdynamite,

Thank you for your post.

The NinjaTrader platform will need a reference for the current conversion from the base currency to USD. So in the case you are trading GBPJPY, you would want to open a Market Analyzer under File > New > then right click in the Market Analyzer > select Add Instrument > select the pairs for both sides with the USD, so GBPUSD and USDJPY.

In this manner, the real-time data feed will provide NinjaTrader with the conversion rate needed on both sides.

Comment

Hello Patrick !

I do not understand your reply but maybe my explanation was bad in the first place.

What I mean is that when you trade a pair ending by /JPY, say at FXCM or MBTrading, if you win some pips you actually earn some Yen on your account, not Usd (if your broker convert this result to another currency depending on your account base currency, during another phase, is not relevant, i.e. post trade)

So my question is why Ninja does not set the "Currency" field to JapaneseYen instead of UsDollar (right now) on /JPY pairs. This seems the main purpose of that field reference...
      I mean FDAX contract has that field set to Euro, not UsDollar, Z contract has is set to BritishPound and so on ...so why /JPY pairs do not have their Currency setting set properly ?

It seems like a mistake to me.
      Last edited by SARdynamite; 10-14-2014, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Hello SARdynamite,

Thank you for your response.

I see what you are detailing now. And you are correct, the USD symbol remains even when showing the profit in another currency value. This is expected and unfortunately there is no method to change this in NinjaTrader.

Comment

Actually, when you play with the "Currency" field setting and look at the ChartTrader PnL for instance :
          - as a Currency type instrument, the currency symbol changes indeed, but the money value is always converted to USD ...wrong combo
          - as a Future or Stock type, the currency symbol is also respected, however the money value is also resoected and there is no conversion to USD ...it works great.

In the end, I wish the issue was fixed for Currency type instruments because it does not make sense...

Comment

Hello SARdynamite,

Thank you for your response.

In the next major release of NinjaTrader, the currency symbol and value will be converted to the local region of the PC. You can take a look at the list of major enhancements at the following link: http://www.ninjatrader.com/downloads...njaTrader8.pdf

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by Haiasi, Today, 06:53 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred  
            Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
            1 response
            0 likes
            Last Post NinjaTrader_Manfred