X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATR setting based on

the Timeframe chart .

Good morning,
    My question is regarding using ATR , and having the " LookBack " period/ settings set correctly based on the timeframe chart that I am looking at

EXAMPLE:
    If I am looking at a Daily chart ( where each candle represents 1 days worth of trading ) and I want the ATR to be calculated based on the Last 5 days of trading, would I set the LookBack period to 5 or to 7 ( 5 being the actual number of traded days in a week, or 7 been an actual 7 days that is a week 0 ?

Also,
    If I want to look at a Weekly chart ( where each candle represents 1 weeks worth of trading ), and I am trying to get an accurate ATR from the previous week of trading, would I need to change the setting to 1 ( for 1 week ) or can I just leave the settings the same on the ATR , no matter what timeframe chart I am looking it,
    and it will automatically calculate it correctly for me by default?

Hope my question is not confusing
    and I appreciate the help
    Thanks again - Michael

Hi mdsvtr,

Thanks for your post.

The Period parameter is the number of bars used for this calculation. This will be a number of bars on the chart.

The bars on the chart will reflect what is available on the server and the hours of the session template.

This means that if there is no trading on the weekend or a holiday, there will not be a bar for that day on your chart.

Using a weekly bar type will have the same effect. This will be controlled by the session template used to create a daily bar and the historical data available from the historical data server.

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...on_manager.htm
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Chelsea

Thank you Chelsea for the reply.

So if I have my ATR indicator lookback period set to 14,
      does this mean that if I'm looking at a Daily chart , that it is calculating the ATR based on the last actual 14 trading days, and then if I then pull up a weekly chart ( ATR still set to 14 ) that it is calculating the ATR of the last 14 weeks )?

That's what is confusing me,
      depending on the timeframe chart that I am looking at, will I need to change the lookback period on the ATR each time?

For example:
      If I'm wanting to know what the ATR is from the last 5 trading days on my Daily TimeFrame chart
      But I then switch over to a Weekly Timeframe chart , and am wanting to know what the ATR is from the last 10 days, will I have to change the setting on the ATR from the 5 to a 10 ?

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help - Michael

Comment

Hello Michael,

That is correct.

On a Daily chart, a period of 14 will be 14 days. On a Week chart, a period of 14 will be 14 weeks. On a Tick chart a period of 14 will be 14 ticks.

Period = number of bars on the chart.

Yes, you will need to change the period to have the number of bars you want to include with the calculation each time you change the chart.

On a weekly chart, a 1 will be a period of 1 week. This will be the number of days in that week that is shown on a daily chart. So if the instrument trades 7 days a week, then this will represent 7 days. If the instrument trades 5 days a week, this will represent 5 days.
        Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
        5 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post NinjaTrader_Jason  
        Started by xiinteractive, 04-09-2024, 08:08 AM
        6 responses
        0 likes