OBV Flatline bug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OBV Flatline bug

I've been working with the OBV a little bit, and I'm trying to work around this issue, but I cannot figure out why it does this, some other threads say that it's a divide by 0 bug but I cannot see how that is possible.
    Attached Files

Hello magnatauren,

Thank you for your post.

If you right click in your chart and select Show Data Box, what are the values of the OBV during the flat line?

Do you see any errors in your log tab of the Control Center?

Comment

I don't receive any errors, and inside of the flatlines are still viable data, its just on a scale magnitudes smaller than what it should be. If I were to zoom in on just the flatline it would look like it wasn't flatlinning because it's acting normal on that scale. the flatline also makes and moving average i attach to the OBV flatline.

Comment

Originally posted by magnatauren View Post
        I've been working with the OBV a little bit, and I'm trying to work around this issue, but I cannot figure out why it does this, some other threads say that it's a divide by 0 bug but I cannot see how that is possible.
        It is a matter of scale. Your OBV values are in the trillions. That means that even variations of 100,000 are unlikely to be very visible while your trillion scales are showing. In any case, it being FOREX, I would be suspicious of anything that purports to measure variations in volume.

Comment

I can see what you're saying about the scale problem.

The one on the left where the OBV is working normally the Volume is 2 Million and on the right it is 28,000 but why does that happen then?

Comment

Originally posted by magnatauren View Post
            I can see what you're saying about the scale problem.

The one on the left where the OBV is working normally the Volume is 2 Million and on the right it is 28,000 but why does that happen then?
            Why does what happen?

Comment

Originally posted by koganam View Post
              Why does what happen?
              Does the scale of the volume really differ that greatly even if they're right on top of each other in the same move down for the day and the one is significantly larger?

or is there another problem with the data I'm getting?

Comment

Hello magnatauren,

Thank you for your response.

If you apply the VOL indicator, what is the volume listed at during these times?

Who are you connecting to for data in NinjaTrader? This is displayed by green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	168.5 KB
ID:	872545
                  Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                  Hello magnatauren,

If you apply the VOL indicator, what is the volume listed at during these times?

Who are you connecting to for data in NinjaTrader? This is displayed by green on lower left corner of the Control Center window.
                  I added a screenshot of the VOL indicator, it seems to flatline at the same place, and when zoomed in on that area it acts as if it were normal.

In the second image, you can see the volume at the current bar from the label on the right side. Its around 3k while the center is well over 250 Million
                  Last edited by magnatauren; 10-21-2014, 09:45 AM.

Comment

Hello magnatauren,

So it is the difference in volume that causes this for the OBV.

Comment

Is there any way to fix the incoming data that is giving me this insane volume disparity? I compared on FXCM, Oanda, and MBtrader and none of them have these huge volume differences.

Comment

Hello magnatauren,

Comment

In the screen shots, I'm connected to FXCM, but it does the same thing with MBtrading.

Comment

Hello magnatauren,

The FXCM Trading Station may report a certain volume for a hybrid historical/real-time bar (half of it was historical, half real-time). This volume does NOT necessarily match their own historical volume for the bar as it becomes complete so should not be used to compare against volume shown in NinjaTrader. For an apples to apples comparison of volume between NT and FXCM, bars in both software applications need to be 100% historical bars or 100% real-time bars.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_PatrickH View Post
                              Hello magnatauren,

The FXCM Trading Station may report a certain volume for a hybrid historical/real-time bar (half of it was historical, half real-time). This volume does NOT necessarily match their own historical volume for the bar as it becomes complete so should not be used to compare against volume shown in NinjaTrader. For an apples to apples comparison of volume between NT and FXCM, bars in both software applications need to be 100% historical bars or 100% real-time bars.
                              Thank you so much for all your help Patrick, do you know how I can avoid this problem? Am I able to use the ninjatrader servers or something to get my historical data so that it is all uniform?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by josh18955, 03-25-2023, 11:16 AM
                              6 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Delerium  
                              Started by FAQtrader, Today, 03:35 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post FAQtrader