• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Can't plot past current bar - Ichi Clouds incomplete

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Can't plot past current bar - Ichi Clouds incomplete

    I would like to suggest that in future releases/updates the ability to plot indicators that require forward time shifting be possible. I currently use the Ichimoku indicator which was posted in the forum but cannot see any part of the Ichimoku Cloud beyond the most current bar. I haven't checked the alligator - but I know that it also uses forward shifting to be effective in it's interpretation. Ninja's a great platform and I know these are old stodgy indicators, but nevertheless, they should be able to be plotted correctly.

    Keep up the good work!
    rr

    #2
    Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.
    DierkNinjaTrader Customer Service

    Comment


      #3
      looking forward to the function that allows indicators to plot on future bars

      At the moment i am using the Open E Cry software to trade the alligator as it can plot lines in the future.

      I am looking forward to see this function working in ninjatrader, ideally with the possibility in the strategy wizard to set a condition check "if x happens 5 bars in the future" ...
      Attached Files

      Comment


        #4
        Hello,

        Thank you for your post.


        Have you tried using the Displacement input parameter when you attach an indicator to a chart? You can put in a positive or negative number in Displacement and it will shift the plots forward or backward.

        As for referencing a bar in the future for a condition, to build a condition you can't reference something that hasn't happened. This is impossible.
        BenNinjaTrader Customer Service

        Comment


          #5
          At the moment the indicator is drawing the SMMA from 8 bars ago onto the current bar:

          if(CurrentBar < 8)
          return;
          Jaw.Set(SMMA(Median, 13)[8]);

          So in theory it should be possible to make a displacement -3 (in the future) and then draw the SMMA from 11 bars (8+3) ago...
          But this does not work the last line will always be drawn at the current bar...


          Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post



          Hello,




          Thank you for your post.


          Have you tried using the Displacement input parameter when you attach an indicator to a chart? You can put in a positive or negative number in Displacement and it will shift the plots forward or backward.

          As for referencing a bar in the future for a condition, to build a condition you can't reference something that hasn't happened. This is impossible.

          Comment


            #6
            Correct, you can't draw right of the rightmost bar.
            DierkNinjaTrader Customer Service

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
              Correct, you can't draw right of the rightmost bar.
              Well, that kills one signal I'm developing.

              I have a calculation that generates possible future turning points. They don't occur in order. When market conditions are set a certain way, a turning point is calculated, no telling where it will be.

              I would like to be able to draw a vertical line where these results occur. You're saying there's absolutely no way to do this? Allowing a negative barsAgo parameter to the DrawVerticalLine() method should be a simple upgrade.

              Any ideas are welcome. Do I need to set a margin to the right of a bar and then override the Plot() method?
              -Alex

              Comment


                #8
                >> You're saying there's absolutely no way to do this?
                correct
                DierkNinjaTrader Customer Service

                Comment


                  #9
                  All right, then. Will this situation be rectified in NT7?
                  -Alex

                  Update (about 3 years later, December 2011): One can put draw objects in the future by specifying a negative bar offset. This is a good thing.
                  -A
                  Last edited by anachronist; 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    On our list but no guarantee at this time.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

                    Comment


                      #11
                      This brings up another question: Has anybody on the development team considered making certain parts of NinjaTrader open source, so that we outsiders can implement and submit actual improvements rather than simply suggest them? The current broken way NT handles user data files, as well as limitations on some graphics operations, are two areas that come to mind. Those bits shouldn't contain proprietary code.

                      The idea here is to expand the development team to volunteers, for parts of the software that aren't considered "core".

                      -Alex

                      Comment


                        #12
                        There are many things we have considered and exposed. We have expanded our circle of what is supported with each new major release and I see that policy continuing. Thanks for the suggestion.
                        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Ichimoku forward shifting problem

                          Originally posted by rrangetrader View Post
                          I would like to suggest that in future releases/updates the ability to plot indicators that require forward time shifting be possible. I currently use the Ichimoku indicator which was posted in the forum but cannot see any part of the Ichimoku Cloud beyond the most current bar. I haven't checked the alligator - but I know that it also uses forward shifting to be effective in it's interpretation. Ninja's a great platform and I know these are old stodgy indicators, but nevertheless, they should be able to be plotted correctly.

                          Keep up the good work!
                          rr

                          Sir

                          Have just started trying to get to grips with the Ichimoku indicator. Have the same problem. No future plotting of cloud on Ninja chart. However, I see that MT4 seems to have incorporated this feature on their charts. Is there really no solution available or have you overcome this problem somehow? Appreciate any help you can give on this.

                          respectfully

                          ken logan

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ken Logan View Post
                            Have the same problem. No future plotting of cloud on Ninja chart. However, I see that MT4 seems to have incorporated this feature on their charts. Is there really no solution available or have you overcome this problem somehow? Appreciate any help you can give on this.
                            I have a number of TradeStation indicators I'd like to port to NinjaTrader but can't, because of this limitation. At least not without the messiness of overriding the Plot() method. I believe it might be possible to override Plot() to do this, but I haven't been inclined to fiddle with it in depth.

                            A bar is simply a column location on a chart, with "0" defined as the current column. Offseting a plot left or right shouldn't be difficult. If there's no way to associate future dates and times with those columns in the future, then I'd say let NinjaTrader leave them undefined until they happen.

                            -Alex

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Ichimoku problem

                              Originally posted by anachronist View Post
                              I have a number of TradeStation indicators I'd like to port to NinjaTrader but can't, because of this limitation. At least not without the messiness of overriding the Plot() method. I believe it might be possible to override Plot() to do this, but I haven't been inclined to fiddle with it in depth.

                              A bar is simply a column location on a chart, with "0" defined as the current column. Offseting a plot left or right shouldn't be difficult. If there's no way to associate future dates and times with those columns in the future, then I'd say let NinjaTrader leave them undefined until they happen.

                              -Alex
                              Hi Alex

                              Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my query. It is much appreciated. Your comments are duly noted.

                              Thanks again

                              Ken Logan

                              Comment

                              Latest Posts

                              Collapse

                              Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Mike3238, Today, 07:09 PM
                              0 responses
                              1 view
                              0 likes
                              Last Post Mike3238  
                              Started by sambo81, Today, 06:57 PM
                              0 responses
                              2 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post sambo81
                              by sambo81
                               
                              Started by erichuff, Today, 04:53 AM
                              1 response
                              26 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChrisL  
                              Started by stevenev1, Today, 01:43 PM
                              0 responses
                              8 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post stevenev1  
                              Started by shinuvu, Today, 11:05 AM
                              3 responses
                              18 views
                              0 likes
                              Last Post NinjaTrader_ChrisL  
                              Working...
                              X