Can't plot past current bar - Ichi Clouds incomplete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't plot past current bar - Ichi Clouds incomplete

I would like to suggest that in future releases/updates the ability to plot indicators that require forward time shifting be possible. I currently use the Ichimoku indicator which was posted in the forum but cannot see any part of the Ichimoku Cloud beyond the most current bar. I haven't checked the alligator - but I know that it also uses forward shifting to be effective in it's interpretation. Ninja's a great platform and I know these are old stodgy indicators, but nevertheless, they should be able to be plotted correctly.

Keep up the good work!
    rr

Thanks for your suggestion. We'll add it to the list of future considerations.

Comment

looking forward to the function that allows indicators to plot on future bars

At the moment i am using the Open E Cry software to trade the alligator as it can plot lines in the future.

I am looking forward to see this function working in ninjatrader, ideally with the possibility in the strategy wizard to set a condition check "if x happens 5 bars in the future" ...
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried using the Displacement input parameter when you attach an indicator to a chart? You can put in a positive or negative number in Displacement and it will shift the plots forward or backward.

As for referencing a bar in the future for a condition, to build a condition you can't reference something that hasn't happened. This is impossible.
        DenNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

At the moment the indicator is drawing the SMMA from 8 bars ago onto the current bar:

if(CurrentBar < 8)
          return;
          Jaw.Set(SMMA(Median, 13)[8]);

So in theory it should be possible to make a displacement -3 (in the future) and then draw the SMMA from 11 bars (8+3) ago...
          But this does not work the last line will always be drawn at the current bar...

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Ben View Post

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Have you tried using the Displacement input parameter when you attach an indicator to a chart? You can put in a positive or negative number in Displacement and it will shift the plots forward or backward.

As for referencing a bar in the future for a condition, to build a condition you can't reference something that hasn't happened. This is impossible.

Comment

Correct, you can't draw right of the rightmost bar.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
              Correct, you can't draw right of the rightmost bar.
              Well, that kills one signal I'm developing.

I have a calculation that generates possible future turning points. They don't occur in order. When market conditions are set a certain way, a turning point is calculated, no telling where it will be.

I would like to be able to draw a vertical line where these results occur. You're saying there's absolutely no way to do this? Allowing a negative barsAgo parameter to the DrawVerticalLine() method should be a simple upgrade.

Any ideas are welcome. Do I need to set a margin to the right of a bar and then override the Plot() method?
              -Alex

Comment

>> You're saying there's absolutely no way to do this?
                correct

Comment

All right, then. Will this situation be rectified in NT7?
                  -Alex

Update (about 3 years later, December 2011): One can put draw objects in the future by specifying a negative bar offset. This is a good thing.
                  -A
                  Last edited by anachronist; 12-20-2011, 12:11 PM.

Comment

On our list but no guarantee at this time.
                    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

This brings up another question: Has anybody on the development team considered making certain parts of NinjaTrader open source, so that we outsiders can implement and submit actual improvements rather than simply suggest them? The current broken way NT handles user data files, as well as limitations on some graphics operations, are two areas that come to mind. Those bits shouldn't contain proprietary code.

The idea here is to expand the development team to volunteers, for parts of the software that aren't considered "core".

-Alex

Comment

There are many things we have considered and exposed. We have expanded our circle of what is supported with each new major release and I see that policy continuing. Thanks for the suggestion.
                        RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Ichimoku forward shifting problem

Originally posted by rrangetrader View Post
                          I would like to suggest that in future releases/updates the ability to plot indicators that require forward time shifting be possible. I currently use the Ichimoku indicator which was posted in the forum but cannot see any part of the Ichimoku Cloud beyond the most current bar. I haven't checked the alligator - but I know that it also uses forward shifting to be effective in it's interpretation. Ninja's a great platform and I know these are old stodgy indicators, but nevertheless, they should be able to be plotted correctly.

Keep up the good work!
                          rr

Sir

Have just started trying to get to grips with the Ichimoku indicator. Have the same problem. No future plotting of cloud on Ninja chart. However, I see that MT4 seems to have incorporated this feature on their charts. Is there really no solution available or have you overcome this problem somehow? Appreciate any help you can give on this.

respectfully

ken logan

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Logan View Post
                            Have the same problem. No future plotting of cloud on Ninja chart. However, I see that MT4 seems to have incorporated this feature on their charts. Is there really no solution available or have you overcome this problem somehow? Appreciate any help you can give on this.
                            I have a number of TradeStation indicators I'd like to port to NinjaTrader but can't, because of this limitation. At least not without the messiness of overriding the Plot() method. I believe it might be possible to override Plot() to do this, but I haven't been inclined to fiddle with it in depth.

A bar is simply a column location on a chart, with "0" defined as the current column. Offseting a plot left or right shouldn't be difficult. If there's no way to associate future dates and times with those columns in the future, then I'd say let NinjaTrader leave them undefined until they happen.

-Alex

Comment

Ichimoku problem

Originally posted by anachronist View Post
                              I have a number of TradeStation indicators I'd like to port to NinjaTrader but can't, because of this limitation. At least not without the messiness of overriding the Plot() method. I believe it might be possible to override Plot() to do this, but I haven't been inclined to fiddle with it in depth.

A bar is simply a column location on a chart, with "0" defined as the current column. Offseting a plot left or right shouldn't be difficult. If there's no way to associate future dates and times with those columns in the future, then I'd say let NinjaTrader leave them undefined until they happen.

-Alex
                              Hi Alex

Thanks very much for taking the time to reply to my query. It is much appreciated. Your comments are duly noted.

Thanks again

Ken Logan

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by BarzTrading, Today, 07:25 AM
                              2 responses
                              1 like
                              Last Post BarzTrading  
                              Started by devatechnologies, 04-14-2024, 02:58 PM
                              3 responses