• If this is your first visit, you will have to register before you can post. To view messages, please scroll below and select the forum that you would like to visits. Questions? Be sure to check out the Forum FAQ.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Partner 728x90

Collapse

Understanding Renko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Understanding Renko

I've just started looking at Renko charts.

I admit upfront, it's very new to me.

Maybe I'm missing a base concept, but just comparing a CL 12-14 5 tick chart to the 5 minute chart, the highs and lows on the two charts don't match. The Renko seems to be "missing" some price action.

ie. the 11/7/2014 0850 bar in the 5 min shows a low of 78.35 but the renko for the same area shows a low of 78.39.

Is the charting correct or am I just not understanding something?

Hi EnsoTrader,

Renko Bars are not intended to show you price action like a tick bar. Instead they show when a certain amount of gain or loss has been hit.

From the help guide:
    Renko bars are built based solely on price movement with no regard to time or volume. Each bar is known as a "brick" and a brick is plotted as green when price is moving up and red when price is moving down. A new brick is plotted when price exceeds the high or low of the previous brick by a specified amount set as the Brick size.

Below is a link to the help guide on Bar Types. Please see the section 'Understanding Renko bars'.
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h.../bar_types.htm
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I've just started looking at Renko charts.

I admit upfront, it's very new to me.

Maybe I'm missing a base concept, but just comparing a CL 12-14 5 tick chart to the 5 minute chart, the highs and lows on the two charts don't match. The Renko seems to be "missing" some price action.

ie. the 11/7/2014 0850 bar in the 5 min shows a low of 78.35 but the renko for the same area shows a low of 78.39.

Is the charting correct or am I just not understanding something?
      Hi EnsoTrader

Chelsea has given you great information there.

There's been a lot of discussion in the forum about Renko bars, they have serious pros and serious cons.

The essential thing is this: just say we're working with a 4 Renko (as you may well do in the ES).

If there's an up bar, a new up bar will print when price has increased by 4 ticks, unless price has decreased by 8 ticks first, in which case, a new down bar will be printed.

The morale of this story is: Renko bars reverse if and only if price has reversed by twice the bar length.

When coding, only refer to Renko bar closes, as everything else is a 'hall of mirrors'.

That said, they're great to enter trades with - but best not try to work trades with them, if you see what I mean!

May I refer you to this thread:

http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ad.php?t=68224

Comment

Hey arbuthnot

Thanks.

I understood that the bars are time and volume independent, it was just a surprise that they didn't fully account for all price points.

If I understand, given an ES 4tick Renko chart, then the market could move 10 ticks while only showing 1 brick. 4 ticks for the brick and 3 ticks above and/or below (4+3+3=10).

Not quite what I was expecting. But that makes it easy to interpret now.

Enso

Comment

Nice to hear from you, Enso.

You've got it spot on about price can move 10 pts without a bar change on a 4 Renko.

But this is the price you pay for the smoothness. As long as a trader understands why Renko is so smooth, as you do, then these charts can be peerless, esp. for price action: I can't emphasize this too much.

Some conventional indicators are just about useless with Renko, but try drawing some trend lines.

May I point you to the LineAlert indicator available for download in this forum, I believe, which is terrific with Renko. There are also ways of having trend lines drawn automatically.

I always make sure I have my stop 2 Renko bar lengths behind the open.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by Wingo, Today, 04:52 PM
          1 response
          0 likes
          Last Post bltdavid  
          Started by Bionian, Today, 10:10 AM
          3 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post Bionian