Strange Pivots 0 value problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange Pivots 0 value problem

I have many charts up, they usually always display pivots correctly. But right now $EURAUD is giving all zero values. This same chart setup was working last week - I mean displaying correct values last week. I didn't change it.

Anyone have any ideas why it could be zero?

on both ninja pivots indicator and ana pivots indicator (both of these indicators usually work fine)

Also, all other charts (they are mostly range charts also) on both forex AND futures display correct pivot values.

It is just $EURAUD (happening right now but I never noticed this behaviour before on any charts).

see attached
    Attached Files

Hello NinjaCustomer,

Thanks for your post.

For the NinjaTrader pivots indicator, what setting are you using for the selection, "PriorDayHLC" in the indicator panel?

The choices are to calculate from intraday values, calculate from daily bars or calculate from user defined levels. It sounds like it may be set to user defined values which by default are set to zero.

I look forward to your reply.
    Paul H.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

it was on day, since I had just stuck it on the chart to try to figure out what was going wrong and forgot to set that (I was trying to figure it out because my indicator that calls the pivots indicator and also the ana pivots both showed 0 values, which they never do when connected) ... then I went to the indicator dialog, changed it to intraday - but got "trapped in the dialog" - the situation where ok, close or the window x icon cannot close the indicator dialog. This doesn't usually happen to me but has in the past. So I had to terminate NT7 and now, yes the Pivots indicator shows values - but the ana pivots (which is set for intraday) don't which is strange, anyhow I understand that is not a supported indicator.

Comment

ah, I figured it out... I had not enough days back set... i have many charts so i guess this one I forgot to update - more days back are required on monday than other days, so i guess this kind of error can happen only on monday.

Comment

How to set up ... Weekly Pivots on 60 minutes charts?

Hi,

I do not have permission to start a thread, it seems. (BTW, how does one get permission to start a thread?)

I have a question on pivots.

John F. Carter uses weekly pivots on 60 minutes charts. Carter does not matter to this discussion, but that is what got my attention on this issue.

How can I set this up on NinjaTrader?

I can use either Pivots or PivotsEdited, they plot the same, with different colours. I may have modified PivotsEdited some years ago, so let us consider just the Pivots indicator.

Thank you so much,

Joe
          Attached Files
          Last edited by westcoastjoe; 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

continued ...

So, 60 minute chart. I would like to get weekly pivots on them.

YM 03-15

PivotRangeType? Weekly?
            PriorDayHLC? DailyBars?
            Days to load? using 30

Just not sure if this gives me the right printout ...

Thank you,

Joe
            Attached Files
            Last edited by westcoastjoe; 12-20-2014, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Do you wish to display floor pivots or Globex pivots?

floor pivots: calculated from high & low of the regular session and settlement price
              Globex pivots: calculated from high & low of the full session and settlement price

Which data feed do you use? Does the daily data show full session high and low or regular session high and low? Is the daily close the regular session close, the full session close or the settlement price?

Your chart displays correct Globex pivots for the last week. The main weekly pivot is 17425, the level R1 is calculated as 17663. Floor pivots would be slightly different with a main pivot at 17421 and the the level R1 at 17656. I personally prefer Globex pivots for the week, so your chart looks correct.

Originally posted by westcoastjoe View Post
              continued ...

So, 60 minute chart. I would like to get weekly pivots on them.

YM 03-15

PivotRangeType? Weekly?
              PriorDayHLC? DailyBars?
              Days to load? using 30

Just not sure if this gives me the right printout ...

Thank you,

Joe
              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks, Harry.

I use IB for data. 24/7 for YM. I think Globex will suit me better.

With 24/7 selected as I have, I assume it prints the full session close with the feed?

OK for YM, 24 hours.

For something like SPY or a stock, I guess the same indicator setup, but with daytime session would be the best idea?

Or go with 24/7 again, even for a stock? Changing the data session does not seem to change the pivots. So that should be fine, methinks.

Enclosed is SPY Monday to Friday daytime session.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

Joe
                Attached Files

Comment

The session template 24/7 does not work, as it does not reflect the contractual trading day for YM. You were just lucky that your pivots matched. The trading day for YM does not start and end at midnight EST, but it starts at 5:00 PM Central (6:00 PM EST) and ends at 4:15 PM Central (5:15 PM EST). For contract specifications see CME website. The daily prices published by CME are the open at 5:00 PM Central, the high and low of the trading day as per contract specifications and the settlement price which is determined as a VWAP between 3:14:30 PM and 3:15 PM CT.

With IB you will not get proper daily data for YM as they do not show the settlement price. Best first-connect to Kinetick EOD and then second-connect to IB. This way you will get daily data from Kinetick EOD and intraday data from IB. For Globex pivots set the indicator to DailyBars.

More difficult to display floor pivots. You need a specific session template that divides the trading day into the night session (prior to 8:30 AM CT), the regular session (8:30 AM CT - 3:15 PM CT) and the evening session (3:30 PM - 4:15 PM). Not needed for weekly pivots, as Globex pivots should be sufficient.

For SPY I would use the day session only. Don't use 24/7, it is always false, as there is no tradeable instrument that follows this session.

Originally posted by westcoastjoe View Post
                  Thanks, Harry.

I use IB for data. 24/7 for YM. I think Globex will suit me better.

With 24/7 selected as I have, I assume it prints the full session close with the feed?

OK for YM, 24 hours.

For something like SPY or a stock, I guess the same indicator setup, but with daytime session would be the best idea?

Or go with 24/7 again, even for a stock? Changing the data session does not seem to change the pivots. So that should be fine, methinks.

Enclosed is SPY Monday to Friday daytime session.

Thanks again. You guys are awesome.

Joe

Comment

Thank you, Harry.

Excellent detail. Appreciated.

Joe

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by tsantospinto, 04-12-2024, 07:04 PM
                    5 responses