Market internals TD Ameritrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Market internals TD Ameritrade

I have a TD Ameritrade account for trading stocks and a separate futures account with another broker. I would like to use the TDA account to chart market internals/indexes like TICK, VIX etc. When I use ThinkorSwim I am able to pull up charts for these, but with Ninjatrader I cannot get it to work. For example VIX is the ticker for CBOE volatility index in TDA. If I use the Instrument Manager and map ^VIX to VIX on TDA the resulting chart is empty. Same thing if I map ^DJIA to $DJI for the DOW 30 index. How can I get internals/indexes to chart from my TDA account in NT? Thanks I should add that some stock symbols work such a XLE but others like PG do not.
    Last edited by seahn; 12-17-2014, 04:23 PM.

Hello seahn,

The indexes are supported with the TDAmeritrade connection type.

I would like to assist via remote support.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please add a link to this forum thread.
    Chelsea B.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_ChelseaB View Post
      Hello seahn,

The indexes are supported with the TDAmeritrade connection type.

I would like to assist via remote support.

Please send an email to platformsupport [at] ninjatrader [dot] com. In the email please add a link to this forum thread.
      Hi ChelseaB,

Some market internals on default indexes list (i.e. ^ADD, ^ADV, etc.) are not available and will not plot for TDA connection. Can you please elaborated how you resolved this issue and how to get such symbols for TDA connection.

Many thanks.

Comment

Hello aligator,

While I am not able to confirm that TD Ameritrade provides data for specific instruments, I can confirm that NinjaTrader supports indexes with the TD Ameritrade

From recollection working with another client, however, I do believe the ^TICK and the ^VIX are available from TD Ameritrade.

If the provider you are connected to does not provide real-time or historical data for that instrument you might want to choose a supplementary data feed such as Kinetick which does provide that data.

Comment

Hello aligator,

While I am not able to confirm that TD Ameritrade provides data for specific instruments, I can confirm that NinjaTrader supports indexes with the TD Ameritrade

From recollection working with another client, however, I do believe the ^TICK and the ^VIX are available from TD Ameritrade.

If the provider you are connected to does not provide real-time or historical data for that instrument you might want to choose a supplementary data feed such as Kinetick which does provide that data.
          Thanks Chelsea,

TDA provides symbols for the market internals on NT default indexes list. However, most of these symbols are not mapped to NT symbols and are left blank when NT list is edited.

Comment

Hello aligator,

By default the ^TICK index should have a mapping of $TICK for TD Ameritrade and the ^VIX index should be using $VIX.X for TD Ameritrade.

It may be that indexes that are not supported by TD Ameritrade do not have symbol mapping by default.

Is there a specific index you are aware is available from TD Ameritrade that does not have symbol mapping in NinjaTrader 7?
            If so, what is the symbol in NinjaTrader and what symbol is used to load this in TD Ameritrade?

Comment

Hello aligator,

By default the ^TICK index should have a mapping of $TICK for TD Ameritrade and the ^VIX index should be using $VIX.X for TD Ameritrade.

It may be that indexes that are not supported by TD Ameritrade do not have symbol mapping by default.

Is there a specific index you are aware is available from TD Ameritrade that does not have symbol mapping in NinjaTrader 7?
              If so, what is the symbol in NinjaTrader and what symbol is used to load this in TD Ameritrade?
              Yes, if you edit the NT default indexes list you will see that most of those symbols (i.e. ^ADD, ^DECL, ^ADV, etc.) are not mapped to TDA symbols. Just that you know, all these indexes are supported by TDA, but Ninja except for a few like TICK and VIX left most the TDA mappings blank.

This complete mapping may have been an issue for NT7 that seem to have propagated into NT8 development. But it should not be the case for NT8 since TDA supports an unbelievable number of index symbols.

Cheers!

Comment

Hello aligator,

I am happy to submit a feature request on your behalf to add symbol mapping by default for symbols that are supported with TD Ameritrade.

Comment

Hello aligator,

I am happy to submit a feature request on your behalf to add symbol mapping by default for symbols that are supported with TD Ameritrade.

Thanks Chelsea,

The question relates to NT8 only, not NT7.

Almost all the Index type instruments on NT8 instrument list except for a few are not mapped to TDA. That is a good start.

Thanks.

Comment

Hello aligator,

In both NT7 and NT8 the ^TICK is preset with $TICK and the ^VIX is preset with $VIX.X.

Would you like me to submit a feature request on your behalf to add symbol mapping for specific instruments?

Do you have the symbol mapping you would like added for specific instruments?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by nandhumca, Today, 03:41 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post nandhumca  
                    Started by The_Sec, Today, 03:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes