Ninja Disconnects Using Barchart Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ninja Disconnects Using Barchart Data

I am experiencing 'frequent' disconnects with the Ninja platform. This happens many times throughout the day, however, it most occurs when there is a volume spike in the market, such as at the opening, or on big candles. My data vendor is Barchart.com, and I am on a very fast, Wifi AC connection to ATT U-Verse with Gigapower. The results of a speed test conducted just shortly after the most recent disconnects are as follows.

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.

As you can see from the results, this is a very high bandwidth connection. Last time I reported this problem, I was told it was a 'poor connection', but that does not appear to be the problem now. I notice many other people in this forum report problems connecting or with disconnecting, so the problem does not appear unique.

Can you help me resolve this issue?

Thanks very much,
    Joe

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Wifi connections are by their very nature less stable than a wired connection - we typically recommend that traders use only a wired connection when trading to ensure maximum stability. Have you tested with bypassing the wifi network completely with a direct connection to the modem? I suspect that you would see considerably better results with this type of setup.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Barchart Disconnects

Hi -

This just does not seem like an acceptable answer. How much bandwidth does Ninja require? Why does the problem 'primarily' happen during volume spikes? I use several other programs that require a stable broadband connection. And none of them 'require' a wire to stay connected. I have some workstation limitations, at present, and a wire would be very costly.

I understand Ninja is checking for 'latency' but how much latency does a 30MB cable connection provide on a wire, which I had no previous problems with, versus a 500 MB connection, with typically 5 - 15 ms ping results?

Please explain the requirements of your platform.

Thanks,
      Joe

Comment

Hello,

While you do have a robust internet connection this does not necessarily mean that the connection to BarChart's servers is good. Even a high quality wireless internet connection will experience packet loss to a greater degree than a wired connection which would increase the likelihood of a disconnection. Temporarily testing with a wired connection should help to reveal whether this is a factor in your specific disconnections.

If you see no difference in connection quality when using a wired connection I would recommend that you contact BarChart support to report the issue. When you speak with them please request an IP address for their data servers which you can use to run a tracert (trace route) test between your local PC and BarChart data servers to determine where internet traffic is breaking down.

Comment

Your solution does not explain why this problem only occurs with NinjaTrader. I have used several other robust charting / trading solutions, including my broker's, and there is never disconnection with them. Why then would it be a quote vendor problem? Please be logical.

Comment

Joe_T,

Are you connecting to BarChart from your PC and network with any of the other applications which you mentioned? If you are not, these results tell us little about your network's ability to contact BarChart servers.

Comment

Yes. I connect at various times to my broker, or to other charting / trading packages from this Wifi workstation with no disconnection issues with those programs - ever. And this is to the same Barchart data and using the same Wifi connection. Why is it 'only' when I connect with NinjaTrader that you suggest I should be disconnected from the Barchart servers?

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately, I don't understand the setup with your other applications well enough to be able to add any information here. I therefor continue to recommend testing with a wired connection and contacting BarChart for an IP to use against a tracert test.

Comment

Hi again. I'm trying to keep a good attitude about this, but every time I contact Ninja I get the run-around. So let's try the question this way: Let's say I have another high powered commercially available charting & trading software program which uses Barchart Realtime data. I do indeed have such a package. Let's call it "M". Why does it work 'without incident' over Wifi, even at N300; but I can't get Ninja to work without repeated disconnects at even AC1200 ??

Comment

Hello,

Among other possibilities, the API coded for other platforms connections to BarCharts could be coded to report a disconnects less frequently. For example they could be coded to only report a disconnect after 30 seconds where as NinjaTrader may report it sooner. NinjaTrader itself has no control over when disconnections take place - the software reports the connection state as it is reported by the API you are connected through. In order to resolve this we will need to find the cause by completing the previous steps of running a tracert report on BarChart data servers and testing with a wired connection.

Comment

Hi, Ok the API differences between platforms might make some difference. To that end, I will make arrangements for a wired test tomorrow. Please send me instructions for the test. I need to get an ethernet wire coupler tonight to provide a run long enough to reach the router, several rooms away.

Here is my latest internet speed test, on wifi, after the close of the markets.

Use Speedtest on all your devices with our free desktop and mobile apps.

It is seriously possible that this connection is not good enough for NinjaTrader?

Comment

Hello,

To test, simply connect your PC to your network using a CAT 5 cable, disable your wireless connection and allow NinjaTrader to run to see whether you encounter the same type of disconnections.

Comment

So I connected to the router directly using Cat5E ethernet cable. Everything was going along swimmingly until 8:38 am CT, "Disconnected", then 8:44 am CT, "Disconnected". This is roughly the same time it happens every day - just as the market gets moving.

So, all the previous ideas about wired versus Wifi appear incorrect. The problem is still happening with a wired gigabit connection. What are the next steps in the problem resolution?

Comment

Joe_T,

Please contact me at PlatformSupport [AT] NinjaTrader [DOT] com. In the message please include the following:
                            1.) A link to this forum thread.
                            2.) A copy of today's trace file:
                            This diagnostic file is found in the Documents > NinjaTrader 7 > Trace folder. I will need a copy of the 'trace.20150204.txt' file.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by cre8able, Today, 03:20 PM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post cre8able  
                            Started by fiddich, Today, 05:25 PM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes