I like NT, but !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like NT, but !

The window management drives me nuts and since NT 8 has no known release date, I was wondering if there was a Windows 8.1 window management program any of you knew for easy NT chart management. I use like 30 charts simultnaeously and since NT lacks proper workspaces and or window organization tools, it really becomes a headache to auto-arrange all these windows.

What options do you guys use to fix this organization problem?

Thank you

Hi Maushi, thanks for your post.

While NinjaTrader 7 has no such window organization tools, I'd like to ask what features you think such an organization system would have in order to formulate a detailed feature request to our development team. If you could change anything about the way NinjaTrader handles workspaces and the organization of windows, what changes would you make?

Looking forward to your reply.
    <span class="name">Alex C.</span><span class="title">NinjaTrader Customer Service</span><iframe name="sig" id="sigFrame" src="/support/forum/core/clientscript/Signature/signature.php" frameborder="0" border="0" cellspacing="0" style="border-style: none;width: 100%; height: 120px;"></iframe>

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_AlexC View Post
      Hi Maushi, thanks for your post.

While NinjaTrader 7 has no such window organization tools, I'd like to ask what features you think such an organization system would have in order to formulate a detailed feature request to our development team. If you could change anything about the way NinjaTrader handles workspaces and the organization of windows, what changes would you make?

Looking forward to your reply.
      Not sure if correct but have a look at
      multicharts,tradestation,sierra charts
      No disrespect as I like NT but it almost seems as though you are trying to go too fancy(not for the user) but for the 3rd party vendors who want to sell something to me? Instead of you as the platform designer, including it for the end user, I can only imagine how easy it would be for you to implement (without exaggeration) minimum 80% of all users requests, yet the typical response is "oh "that's not supported"" see are list of 3rdparty vendors"
      That is so not cool(which I know you don't care) been proven by the YEARS old requests for functions and features that have been ignored through all the releases! I mean dang man all you gotta do is go back thru your own support forum....Wow lotta requests and NOTHING Done, to this date.
      Again not trying to ream ya just stating the facts.
      Last edited by newbie0101; 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

NT has no frame work, windows become part of the operating system, like if they were additional programs, it's a disaster to manage.

Im surprised you even ask me for suggestion when its clear the NT team must know basic window handling managemet is missing.

Have a look at Multicharts,TC-2000, Tradestation, Sierra, thats how you do it, notice ALL of your competitors have window management, except NT. Whoever designed the interface without windows management functionality must be fired for incompetence.

Want the truthful suggestion? How about incorporating something, because at the present time, it has nothing.

In all honesty its unacceptable.

Sorry but you did ask me for my opinion, there it is.
        Last edited by Maushi; 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Hello,

Thanks for your replies

This comes down to preference of how to function workspaces. With NinjaTrader 7 it has been decided to allow all windows to float freely so you have the freedom to arrange and manage them as you would like across all your screens.
          Many of the features of NinjaTrader are based off of user feedback however it does come down to an executive decision of what works best for the platform and a majority of our users.
          Having all the windows locked into a single workspace window is a feature that has been taken into consideration. Your feedback is appreciated.
          A feature that will be implemented with NinjaTrader 8 is tabbed windows. This may assist you further in managing your workspace for your needs.
          BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Brandon View Post
            Hello,

Thanks for your replies

This comes down to preference of how to function workspaces. With NinjaTrader 7 it has been decided to allow all windows to float freely so you have the freedom to arrange and manage them as you would like across all your screens.
            Many of the features of NinjaTrader are based off of user feedback however it does come down to an executive decision of what works best for the platform and a majority of our users.
            Having all the windows locked into a single workspace window is a feature that has been taken into consideration. Your feedback is appreciated.
            A feature that will be implemented with NinjaTrader 8 is tabbed windows. This may assist you further in managing your workspace for your needs.
            Thanks Brandon
            Where is NT8??

As I heard Ray say in a webinar somewhere "he does not pay the comp any mind" Maybe he should??

Comment

Hello newbie0101,

Thanks for your reply.

NinjaTrader 8 is in development. This is a major rewrite with many new features being implemented that takes time to develop and test to ensure a quality release. No release date has been announced for NinjaTrader 8 or the beta however development is working hard to have it ready for a beta release soon.
              BrandonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hello newbie0101 and Maushi,

My name is James and I am the VP of Customer Service and I want to take some time to address your concerns.

I can only imagine how easy it would be for you to implement (without exaggeration) minimum 80% of all users requests, yet the typical response is "oh "that's not supported"" see are list of 3rdparty vendors"
                That is so not cool(which I know you don't care) been proven by the YEARS old requests for functions and features that have been ignored through all the releases! I mean dang man all you gotta do is go back thru your own support forum....Wow lotta requests and NOTHING Done, to this date.
                Yes, we have several user requests (literally thousands of unique ideas) not yet implemented. However, there were over 700 user requested features added to NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 is likely to see more, so no, they aren't being ignored, they are being prioritized, considered, and in many cases, currently developed. The timeframe for many of these requests may seem long, but not when you consider why that is the case. NinjaTrader 8 is still in devlopment. The decision to wait for NinjaTrader 8 to add many of these requests was a very conscientious and deliberate one. As most of you know, NT 8 is a rebuild from the ground up which is allowing us to add many features with greater performance efficiency and has allowed us to focus more on the new (NT8) and not on the old (NT7). You can choose to agree with this decision or not, but we are 100% confident that it was the right call. It in no way means that we do not care about our users’ feedback or are pushing this off to vendors (vendors are just a current available option). In fact the opposite is very true - we have been meticulously tracking each request and tallying duplicate votes as they come in. This has allowed us to really see what the majority of our users demand out of NinjaTrader so we can properly prioritize and focus on the highly demanded features. It has also allowed us to determine which requests would be counter-intuitive to the more popular demands (a perfect hypothetical example of this would be the workspaces at hand – free floating windows offering freedom or docked windows within a type of laid out space). We would not shift a whole user base if 80% preferred free floating windows, because the other 20% wished to have a docked style system (again this is hypothetical and these numbers are for exemplary purposes only).

NT has no frame work, windows become part of the operating system, like if they were additional programs, it's a disaster to manage.

Im surprised you even ask me for suggestion when its clear the NT team must know basic window handling managemet is missing.

Have a look at Multicharts,TC-2000, Tradestation, Sierra, thats how you do it, notice ALL of your competitors have window management, except NT. Whoever designed the interface without windows management functionality must be fired for incompetence.

Want the truthful suggestion? How about incorporating something, because at the present time, it has nothing.
                NT7 absolutely has something to manage windows; the workspaces themselves, if used properly, work in a similar manner (in my opinion as an NT user, are more flexible) as a dockable type situation. You have 30 charts in one workspace? Perhaps there are too many charts in one workspace if your screen real estate can’t provide enough space for them to be viewed at once. Try having multiple workspaces open and selecting a workspace from the File > Workspaces menu or using a customizable Hot Key (to edit: Control Center > Tools > Hot Key Manager > Global > Close/Next/Previous/Save Workspace) to quickly switch between each workspace. In each workspace arrange the charts/other windows however you would like across as many monitors you have with only the monitors themselves restricting where you can put or resize NT windows. Set them up in each workspace and leave them as they are after saving. For example, maybe you have a workspace of only Emini S&P 500 and another for Sweet Crude; you are really only limited by your imagination. :Less widnows in each workspace will also declutter your Windows task bar, as it will only show the windows in the current viewed workspace.

For those whom may be viewing our forum for the first time, more info/videos about workspaces can be found here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...workspaces.htm

This is of course is my suggestion for the present; your prior feedback is still very much valued and will be considered.

As I heard Ray say in a webinar somewhere "he does not pay the comp any mind" Maybe he should??
                A bit out of context here. What was meant is that our customers' feedback is more important than what other companies are doing. I would rather the brands I trust take my suggestions for consideration versus just doing what everyone else is doing; we are working for you, not the competition.

With that said, thanks for all of the constructive feedback; I at least hope that there was some clarification available along with some new insight on how to better utilize workspaces as they currently are.
                Last edited by NinjaTrader_James; 02-05-2015, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Ya except you have waited for 8 versions to implement what should had been present from version 1.

Competitors offer docking and undocking options to serve user preference, you basically forced us to use floating windows and done.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_James View Post
                    Hello newbie0101 and Maushi,

My name is James and I am the VP of Customer Service and I want to take some time to address your concerns.

Yes, we have several user requests (literally thousands of unique ideas) not yet implemented. However, there were over 700 user requested features added to NinjaTrader 7 and NinjaTrader 8 is likely to see more, so no, they aren't being ignored, they are being prioritized, considered, and in many cases, currently developed. The timeframe for many of these requests may seem long, but not when you consider why that is the case. NinjaTrader 8 is still in devlopment. The decision to wait for NinjaTrader 8 to add many of these requests was a very conscientious and deliberate one. As most of you know, NT 8 is a rebuild from the ground up which is allowing us to add many features with greater performance efficiency and has allowed us to focus more on the new (NT8) and not on the old (NT7). You can choose to agree with this decision or not, but we are 100% confident that it was the right call. It in no way means that we do not care about our users’ feedback or are pushing this off to vendors (vendors are just a current available option). In fact the opposite is very true - we have been meticulously tracking each request and tallying duplicate votes as they come in. This has allowed us to really see what the majority of our users demand out of NinjaTrader so we can properly prioritize and focus on the highly demanded features. It has also allowed us to determine which requests would be counter-intuitive to the more popular demands (a perfect hypothetical example of this would be the workspaces at hand – free floating windows offering freedom or docked windows within a type of laid out space). We would not shift a whole user base if 80% preferred free floating windows, because the other 20% wished to have a docked style system (again this is hypothetical and these numbers are for exemplary purposes only).

NT7 absolutely has something to manage windows; the workspaces themselves, if used properly, work in a similar manner (in my opinion as an NT user, are more flexible) as a dockable type situation. You have 30 charts in one workspace? Perhaps there are too many charts in one workspace if your screen real estate can’t provide enough space for them to be viewed at once. Try having multiple workspaces open and selecting a workspace from the File > Workspaces menu or using a customizable Hot Key (to edit: Control Center > Tools > Hot Key Manager > Global > Close/Next/Previous/Save Workspace) to quickly switch between each workspace. In each workspace arrange the charts/other windows however you would like across as many monitors you have with only the monitors themselves restricting where you can put or resize NT windows. Set them up in each workspace and leave them as they are after saving. For example, maybe you have a workspace of only Emini S&P 500 and another for Sweet Crude; you are really only limited by your imagination. :Less widnows in each workspace will also declutter your Windows task bar, as it will only show the windows in the current viewed workspace.

For those whom may be viewing our forum for the first time, more info/videos about workspaces can be found here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...workspaces.htm

This is of course is my suggestion for the present; your prior feedback is still very much valued and will be considered.

A bit out of context here. What was meant is that our customers' feedback is more important than what other companies are doing. I would rather the brands I trust take my suggestions for consideration versus just doing what everyone else is doing; we are working for you, not the competition.

With that said, thanks for all of the constructive feedback; I at least hope that there was some clarification available along with some new insight on how to better utilize workspaces as they currently are.
                    Hi James:That's the point thousands of requests "not yet implemented"
                    -As far as "what other companies are doing" Maybe take a look cause it's working! your quote"our customers' feedback is more important than what other companies are doing" you do realize many of the requested functions are "just that" what other companies already are doing and offer"??
                    Last edited by newbie0101; 02-05-2015, 07:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maushi View Post
                      Ya except you have waited for 8 versions to implement what should had been present from version 1.

Competitors offer docking and undocking options to serve user preference, you basically forced us to use floating windows and done.
                      This is assuming three things:

1. Users have requested this from the beginning

2. The majority of our users prefer dockable workspaces

3. That the chosen solution is incorrect based on a personal preference

I know that many users (I speak to hundreds each month) prefer the opposite, the freedom of individual windows across several screens and not having to deal with over lapping/hiding one another if another program is selected. For example, this allows people to allocate a small corner of a screen for something like a stream of CNBC and the rest of that monitor dedicated to NinjaTrader without having to switch back and fourth between software; everything is right where you want it without being boxed into a defined space dictated by a program. (If you would like, I would be more than happy to call you and logon onto your computer to show you how to fully utilize workspaces to their full potential, just let me know)

This very thread highlights an important component of developing software - that it is hard to look past one's personal preference and then based on that preference conclude that the current way is the wrong or unwanted solution. This is precisely why we are making a concerted effort to consider all suggestions and to see which of those are actually preferable to the majority of our users.

That said, we do appreciate the input and will continue working hard on NT8.

Comment

I run a room, and every single NT user wishes NT had window management options aside from floating windows, no exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by newbie0101 View Post
                          Hi James:That's the point thousands of requests "not yet implemented"
                          -As far as "what other companies are doing" Maybe take a look cause it's working! your quote"our customers' feedback is more important than what other companies are doing" you do realize many of the requested functions are "just that" what other companies already are doing and offer"??
                          I was simply stating that they are not being ignored as you originally said in your first reply to this thread: "been proven by the YEARS old requests for functions and features that have been ignored through all the releases!"

They are very much being considered and in many cases, developed for NT8. You are correct in that they have not been released in NT7, but that is because we aren't going back to re-develop NT7, we are looking forward and focused on NT8.

On the point about other companies, I was trying to clarify that user suggestions are more important to us than what competitors are doing, not that we ignore other products altogether.

Our customers are very good at picking out the features they like from other programs and asking us to put them in NinjaTrader, which I think is better than us going in and assuming that a customer would want X. We could be wrong, but you, you know what you want and we thank you for pointing it out in lieu of us taking an educated guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Maushi View Post
                            I run a room, and every single NT user wishes NT had window management options aside from floating windows, no exceptions.
                            Thanks for using NT in your room! I absolutely believe that there are many rooms on both sides of the fence and it is our duty to ensure that we can deliver a product that meets the highest user demand.

With that said, I really do want to see if you and I can get together for a one on one screen share and see if we can find a more immediate solution for you and your attendees. I am not in product management, and I am not a developer; I am here to make sure that our customers are heard (I assure you that you are) and to see if we can work together to find the solutions available now.
                            Last edited by NinjaTrader_James; 02-05-2015, 07:41 PM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by Tim-c, Today, 03:54 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post Tim-c
                            by Tim-c

Started by FrancisMorro, Today, 03:24 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes