Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trend strategy?

Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for information on how to start strategy where the first condition is that price is trending either up or down but not sideways. I've looked through the indicators and conditions in the strategy wizard and searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looing for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Hello jmollica11,

Thank you for your post and welcome to the NinjaTrader Support Forum.

A basic up trend would be Close[0] > Open[0] for example however, there any many ways to determine an up trend and many schools of thought on it as well. So what definition of an up trend are looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by jmollica11 View Post
      Hi All,

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for information on how to start strategy where the first condition is that price is trending either up or down but not sideways. I've looked through the indicators and conditions in the strategy wizard and searched the forums and couldn't find what I was looing for. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
      Hi jmollica11

That's a very good question but it depends on what you mean by 'trending'. One persons trend is another person's consolidation. There's simply no one criterion by which you can measure trend. A great deal of technical analysis is to dedicated to the answer to this question.

Do you have specific method in mind?

The EMA is a very popular indicator: do you mean, for example, when that is rising or falling? If so, your code would be something like:

if (
      Rising(EMA(Period))
      + other conditions
      )

{Go long...}

if (
      Falling(EMA(Period))
      + other conditions
      )

{Go short...}

(On edit) P.S. I hadn't seen Patrick's answer before I sent this. Patrick's of course right. Close[0] > Open[0] is a very basic measure of an up trend.
      Last edited by arbuthnot; 02-16-2015, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks!

Thanks for the quick replies!

I was thinking more of using the EMA with a period of 25 or 50 to establish a trend for the first condition.

Best,
        J

Comment

Hello J,

arbuthnot provides an example using Rising and Falling to determine the trend. Please try this and advise if you have any questions.

Information on Rising: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...nt7/rising.htm
          Information on Falling: http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/h...t7/falling.htm

Comment

Originally posted by jmollica11 View Post
            Thanks for the quick replies!

I was thinking more of using the EMA with a period of 25 or 50 to establish a trend for the first condition.

Best,
            J
            And what conditions must these satisfy, in order for you to consider it as a "trend existing"?

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by itrader46, Today, 09:04 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post itrader46  
            Started by timmbbo, Today, 08:59 AM
            0 responses
            1 view
            0 likes