Adding positions in batches with unique stops/targets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adding positions in batches with unique stops/targets

Bizarrely I first wrote this post some time ago and it seems to have disappeared.

Anyway, I am trying to have the option of building positions in batches, say 2 contracts at a time. For example, 1 batch on a break of previous bar using stplmt, the next on a favourable bar close.

I want to use the same strategy template for each batch but have it so that each batch has a stop and target(s) relevant to its own entry price.

Using sim this morning I have sometimes had it do this, but at other times the second batch just adds with the original stops and targets.

I am obviously doing something different to get the different outcomes and suspect this has something to do with the presence of *active strategy in the strategy box, but would appreciate clarification before I go live.

Also, if this is the issue, is there anyway to stop the Dom defaulting to *active strategy rather than staying with the originally chosen strategy template?

Many thanks.

imported post

Hi TraderTony,

In the Help Guide, please review two sections under the Advanced Strategy Management section -

- Position Strategy Paramteres
    - Strategy Selection Mode

The answers you seek are contained therein.

Ray
    RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

imported post

Thanks Ray - that's exactly what I was looking for. However, when I go to tools - options - strategies I only get the following options...

Attached Files

Comment

imported post

What are you expecting to be there? Thanks.

Comment

imported post

ninjatrader wrote:
          What are you expecting to be there? Thanks.
          Was looking for the option as described for alternative 2 here (i.e. box unchecked) ...

Attached Files

Comment

imported post

That is out dated, where did you find this? Specific Help Guide section would be helpful. On the web or built in help?

Ray

PS - Please check the sections listed in the prior post on your locally installed copy of the Help Guide.

Comment

imported post

ninjatrader wrote:
              That is out dated, where did you find this? Specific Help Guide section would be helpful. On the web or built in help?

Ray

PS - Please check the sections listed in the prior post on your locally installed copy of the Help Guide.
              In control centre I chose help, advanced strategy management, position strategy, position strategy parameters

This is what I see there.

I cannot find any option to chose between the default being to add to the active strategy or the original strategy.
              Attached Files

Comment

imported post

See Strategy Selection Mode section.

Comment

imported post

Ok - I am being slow - I understand the three modes and I want the one that keeps "My Strategy" in the strategy box at all times. How/where do I set this as default?

All I get when I do tools - options - strategies is the box I displayed yesterday which gives options on modifying brackets.

Many thanks.

Comment

imported post

I just upgraded to 5113 and in tools/options/strategies it does NOT have the "apply fills to active strategy as default" selection??

Comment

imported post

From within the SuperDOM, right click -->Properties.

Ray

Comment

imported post

Aha - got it. Thanks!

Comment

imported post

Yea me too.. found it actually i knew it was there just was confused from the screen shot you sent earlier in this thread.....I havent really tried beta 3 out yet and have been using 5111 (skipped 2 cause you talked about 3 coming soon). Recently I've been experimenting with scaling into position (less costly than doubling up<g&gt. I have a 2 target strategy where the 1st target is 2/3s position and the second is 1/3rd of total. On 5111 version NT doesnt distribute my scale in fills to my strategy defineddistribution of targets......NT puts them all into target #one.........have you looked into this and does beta 3 distribute scale ins to meet definition of strategy quantities in the target distribution and if i go beyond strategy total quantitiesthrow the extras into the last target? Also the +/- target buttons dont seem to be able to handle mutliple add/subtracts ........like if I move all targets totarget #one then want to split them again with a + target then again - target... and so on,,, NT wont do more than one +/- target........again I havent tried beta 3 out yet so forget it if you have done it already...but if not would love to scale in and distribute additional contracts per defined distribution of my strategy with extras at the last target ............then be able to +/-targetsat will........fickle scardy cat trader that I am<g>

Hopen that made sense<g>

great stuff Ray really....

Regards

Bruce

P.S. wish list: be able to reset strategy toreset brackets/trailings per my strategy to average price when I've scaled in by a simple clickof a button AND user defined #ticks between the +target function

Comment

imported post

OK I've played with 5113 a bit today......NT is definately not distributing scaled in position to strategy target quantities("select active strategy on order submission"mode) just putting all the scaled ins on 1st target. Also NT will not let me +target (now that total is in first target) once full strategy total quantity has been executed/accumulated giving me an error message that I cant add targets to this position even though only the 1st target is working.Lastly when I save the strategy NT adjusts my "order qty" (in dom)to match my total target quantities even though I want it less than total of targets's quantitiesregardless of whattargets totaladd up to be.

Here's what I'm trying to do:

1. set a mode"select active strategy on order submission" stragety with target quanties defined and custom trailings per target.

2. accumulate position piecemeal and have each additional contractdistribute to strategydefined target quantities flowing down with overflow to next target.

3.- targets button function to combine from the 2nd to the 1st then from the 3rd(now the new 2nd) to the 1stand be able to +target again splitting first targetagain at willcreating a newsecond (even better to a new 3rd from the +targets after having strategy defined2nd target total re-established 2nd flowing down again to 3rd along distribution defined in strategy) but good enuf just a second target. I can wait to split the 2nd again after the 1st is filled.

4. BIG WISH hit a button that will reset entire position strategy brackets and trailings to new average entry price.

Hopen this made sense

Regards

Bruce

Comment

imported post

Hi Trymph,

NT does not distribute in a scaled fashion. If you scale in, it either adds to the inner or outer bracket. This is how NT has always worked.

Ray

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by Shansen, 08-30-2019, 10:18 PM
                              24 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post spwizard  
                              Started by Max238, Today, 01:28 AM
                              0 responses