Kinetick and IB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kinetick and IB

I am trying to trade XAUUSD (gold dollar). At Kinetick I find XAUUSD classified as forex. The symbol in Ninjatrader becomes $XAUUSD. At IB (Interactive Brokers) this is classified as a commodity XAUUSD. Sending an order through a strategy I get in the order message "state=PendingSubmit" as if the ticker is not recognized. Thanks for helping!

Hello Sylvestro,

Thank you for your post.

In searching through the symbol look up utility within Trader Workstation I was not able to find a forex product for XAU.USD. I would recommend that you contact IB support to confirm that they do offer a XAU.USD forex product and, if they do, what symbol that product would trade under.
    KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

That is correct, but I assume also the problem. My real time data feed from Kinetick seems to be an FXCM forex data feed for XAUUSD. While XAUUSD available with IB is the commodity. Question is, is there a solution? Can I tell some way in my strategy that the order to IB TWS is for the commodity and not forex?

Comment

Hello Sylvestro,

If Interactive Brokers does not support the forex $XAUUSD product it would be impossible to trade through your IB account. In order to trade the XAUUSD commodity which Interactive Brokers does offer you could create new instrument within NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
        • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
        • Press the "New" button
        • Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
        • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
        • Press the "OK" button

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
        • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
        • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
        • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
        • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Comment

The problem is that I cannot find what the symbol is for the XAUUSD commodity from my KineTick data provider. They only list forex related ticker symbols.

Comment

Hello,

Kinetick does not offer a commodity version of XAUUSD unfortunately.

Comment

Thanks,
              I have suggested IB to include XAU.USD in their forex pairs. Hope they will consider it... It is a very interesting pair, highly traded and more easy to trade than the EUR.USD.

Comment

did anyone figure out how to map interactive brokers XAUUSD commodity pair in ninjatrader... i have tried the common way of mapping it but doesnt seem to work... the security type says "CMDTY" but the closest ninja allows "futures"which has expiration dates...where as XAUUSD as a commodity doesnt.

As well the basic $XAUUSD which is mapped for iB as XAU.USD doesnt work as well...

Comment

Hello,

Unfortunately, Interactive Brokers does not support a forex $XAUUSD product.

In order to trade the XAUUSD commodity which Interactive Brokers does offer you could create new instrument within NinjaTrader.

NinjaTrader comes pre-loaded with the most commonly traded instruments however, you may find the need to add an additional instrument. Please follow the instructions below to add an instrument in the Instrument Manager.
                  • From the NinjaTrader Control Center window select the menu Tools > Instrument Manager
                  • Press the "New" button
                  • Enter in instrument specific information and select the appropriate exchange (add Default exchange for equities in addition to the actual exchange)
                  • Fill in any relevant information under the "Misc" tab such as symbol mapping for your target connectivity provider
                  • Press the "OK" button

The instrument is now added to the master instrument list. Please follow the instructions below if you want to add this instrument to an instrument list.
                  • Select the instrument list you wish to add the instrument to via the "Instrument lists" drop down list in the upper left hand corner
                  • Select the exchange (Default recommend for equities) as this will route orders to your broker smart routing system
                  • Select the appropriate expiration date if this is a futures instrument
                  • Press the "<" button to add the instrument to the list

You are now complete and can press the "OK" button.

Comment

thanks for the reply kyle, i did read this before and if i didnt make it clear that i know how to add a new instrument... specifically this one does not seem to work for the iB commodity XAUUSD ... if you know how to add this one specifically i would love instructions but the above does not work with iB and their commodity XAUUSD that i know of unless i am fundamentally overlooking something. I have added/created many new instruments with ninjatrader, so i understand the process. But something seems to be different with this one.
                    thanks again for the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by chinapassage View Post
                      thanks for the reply kyle, i did read this before and if i didnt make it clear that i know how to add a new instrument... specifically this one does not seem to work for the iB commodity XAUUSD ... if you know how to add this one specifically i would love instructions but the above does not work with iB and their commodity XAUUSD that i know of unless i am fundamentally overlooking something. I have added/created many new instruments with ninjatrader, so i understand the process. But something seems to be different with this one.
                      thanks again for the effort.

1 google out of curiosity brought me here:

Comment

XAUUSD is a forex instrument with data delivered by FXCM and made available by Kinetick. Unfortunately Interactive Brokers does not have this data. So it is simply not possible to trade this instrument with IB. Of course we could raise a request to NinjaTrader in a way that we have the XAUUSD data from Kinetick, but that we could place orders with IB using the Gold commodity. NinjaTrader would have to translate in some way one instrument name into another name. That should not be that difficult...

Comment

XAUUSD and IB

sledge, thanks for the link really helpful... i did google several times thats how i ended up here lol. I never got that thread but it is helpful... just so future posters and ninjatrader forum support don't allow a thread like this to continue....

ANSWER:
                          Ninjatrader cannot ACCESS the commodity group in interactive brokers so impossible to build the instrument... so even though you can trade the instrument in iB...no way to trade it through ninjatrader... however there is a solution... multicharts is able...so that is good news.
                          thanks sledge very helpful.
                          Last edited by chinapassage; 04-29-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                          Started by benmarkal, Yesterday, 12:52 PM
                          3 responses
                          0 likes
                          Last Post NinjaTrader_Gaby  
                          Started by helpwanted, Today, 03:06 AM
                          1 response
                          0 likes
                          Last Post sarafuenonly123