Indicator from 30 minute on 10 minute indicator array

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indicator from 30 minute on 10 minute indicator array

I trade off a single chart and I do use a couple of indicators. I wish to see an indicator from a higher timeframe chart, but not the whole higher timeframe chart. So, for instance, I'd like to have a 720 tick chart open for entries/exits, but along with the stoch and rsi I might have below it, I'd also like to see a momentum indicator from a 2500 titck chart of the same instrument.

I tried to open a 30 minute chart, with all its features made transparent, in the panel 1 of my 10 minute chart, figuring I could then select the 30 minute in the Data Series window and add a momentum indicator that would just be, in effect, a new panel 3. But all I got was a momentum indicator from the 10 minute in that panel.

Anybody know how to do this?

Thanks!

Hello Steve,
    Thanks for posting today.

You can change the Indicators Data Series that it calculates from within the Indicator menu.
    • Right mouse click inside the chart and select Indicators...
    • Select the indicator you wish to change the data series for
    • Locate the Data>Input Series section on the left
    • Left mouse click on the data series showing and left click on the ... symbol
    • Select the data series you wish the indicator to calculate from
    • Left mouse click OK to close the Indicators menu

Now, if you have your other data series transparent, you should have a indicator plotting from a different data series then the one showing.

Here is a link on our Tips video on youtube showing how hide data series in this manner.
    Download NinjaTrader FREE at http://www.ninjatrader.comThis video demonstrates how to plot an indicator based off of one data series, overlay it onto another...

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance for anything NinjaTrader.
    Alex G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi Ninja support. I have just followed the steps in the link step by step putting a 20 EMA plotted from a 1500 Tick chart onto a 500 Tick chart. Also added another 20 EMA plotted from the 500 Tick on the 500 Tick chart.

1500 has disappeared and both EMA's are showing on 500 Tick chart but all the candle spacings are messed up now. Have several groups of candles overlapping and clumping together then others are spread out with wide gaps between them.
      Can still make out the size of most of the candle bodies but some wicks are hidden by the overlapping candles.

Please see attached picture.

Is this a problem with Tick charts or am I doing something wrong when setting it up?
      Attached Files

Comment

Hello TyJack,
        Thanks for posting today.

This is being caused by the scale for the larger data series. Since they are both Tick charts their bars are not going to be using the same scale on the x axis.

When using two tick charts on the same plot instead of placing the bars equidistant it will base them on time. When you the bars overlapped these would be times of high trade volume. When the bars are more distant, this is a time of low trade volume(less ticks versus time).

With one data series plotted the x axis not based on time and instead the bars are equally spaced apart.

Please let us know if we may be of further assistance for anything NinjaTrader.
        Alex G.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

There are 3 different solutions to your problem that will allow you to avoid the non-equidistant bar spacing which made your chart ugly.

-> solution 1: you can code a multi-timeframe indicator, which loads secondary bars and calculates the EMA from those secondary bars (see chart 1)
          -> solution 2: you can code an indicator that calculates composite bars from the primary bars and then performs the indicator calculation on those composite bars (see chart 2)
          -> solution 3: you can tweak your indicator by using a different period, this is not possible for all indicators but for SMA and EMA (see chart 3)

I have explained the details in this post:

Yes, you need one counter for each period of chart. Some related example of counting bar volume by cumulating volumes on every tick by bid\\ask side (works on any timeframe min, tick, range, volume etc.) protected override void OnMarketData(MarketDataEventArgs e) { ... tradeSideVolumes.TickVolume = e.Volume; tradeSideVolumes.CumVolume += e.Volume; if (lastBar == CurrentBar) { // we are inside higher timeframe bar tradeSideVolumes.BarVolume += e.Volume; } …
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Harry. Had just joined as Elite over on BMT to. Unbelievable site! Should be a must for any trader!

Will check your link out.

Comment

Originally posted by TyJack View Post
              Thanks Harry. Had just joined as Elite over on BMT to. Unbelievable site! Should be a must for any trader!

Will check your link out.
              Please search the downloads for VisualEMA, and you will be able to display the 1,500 EMA on the 500 tick chart.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry View Post
                Please search the downloads for VisualEMA, and you will be able to display the 1,500 EMA on the 500 tick chart.

Thanks Harry, Got both EMA and SMA now, will put them on live when market opens. Absolute gold mine that site. So much reading I have to do!
                Best money EVER spent and buying NT multi license soon to

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by kaywai, Today, 06:26 AM
                1 response
                0 likes
                Last Post kaywai
                by kaywai

Started by ct, 05-07-2023, 12:31 PM
                6 responses