Where are stops processed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where are stops processed?

When I have a stop, is it server based on client based? I'm using MBT for forex. I also have an IB account but I am not currently using NinjaTrader with it. I'll probably upgrade to a multi-broker version on Ninja.

Basically, I understand that some people prefer client based stops, so that the brokerage doesn't know what your plans are. But, I feel more secure with server based stops. If for some reason my computer hangs or whatever, my stops are in place. Of course I have a good computer, but, you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
      Thanks. Here's what it says for MBT:

MB Trading
      Orders in a state "Accepted" or "Working" are at the exchange or on MBT's servers in situations where the exchange does not have native support for an order type.
      OCO (One Cancels Other) functionality is simulated on your local PC.
      I also see that it is basically the same on almost every broker. Except for OCO, which is simulated on PC for almost everybody except IB.

So, this tells me, I believe, that stops for active orders are always on all brokers sent to the broker, who then handles it themselves or sends it to the exchange, depending. Which is what I want, great.

That said, just curious, do some people request that the stops be handled locally so that their broker doesn't know what their stop is? No big deal, just wondering.

Thanks for the quick response.

Comment

Please make sure you understand the concept of simulated stops in NT. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview12.html

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
          Please make sure you understand the concept of simulated stops in NT. http://www.ninjatrader-support.com/H...verview12.html
          Ah, yes. I don't want to do that, I don't think. I was just wondering if it was supported just for future reference. I would certainly never do a simulated stop on forex, too dangerous. Thanks for the quick response!

Comment

hello,

does that mean that when I use ATM strategy, there are two exit orders (Target Profit and Stop Loss) send to the exchange but the relationship between them is only on my computer?

so if I turn NT off or my computer powers down the exit orders acts as separate orders and I may have the original position closed by either SL or TP and be executed to opposite position by the second order?

Thank you for reply

Comment

I use AMP Futures + Zen Fire

Comment

This is dependant on the brokerage technology. For Zen-Fire, OCO is simulated on local PC.
                RayNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I'm going to resurrect this old thread. I use MBT, and I know that OCO is simulated in the PC. What if the PC is rebooted for some reason? Of course you don't want to do that in the middle of a trade, but, if for some reason it happens, will NT remember the OCO status?

Comment

Unfortunately most likely the OCO order will be lost.

If your entry order executed before the reboot and your stop loss and profit target are triggered and receive an accepted or working status, they reside at the exchange or MBTrading servers.
                    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Jason View Post
                      Unfortunately most likely the OCO order will be lost.
                      This brings up a related issue. Perhaps I should start another thread. Anyway, as you may know, MBT does a nightly shutdown for a few minutes at midnight. It would seem to me that the connection should auto-recover and reconnect, but it doesn't seem to. Is it supposed to? Anyway, what I've had to do is go ahead and shut down NT and restart it. The other night, I had a trade active. When I restarted NT, it seemed to remember the OCO. So, I guess that OCO can be retained if NT is restarted. I guess my main question here is, is the MBT connection supposed to auto reconnect after the shutdown?

Comment

Unfortunately the MBTrading API requires NinjaTrader to be restarted in order to be re-connected.
                        JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                        Started by usazencort, Today, 01:16 AM
                        0 responses
                        1 view
                        0 likes
                        Last Post usazencort  
                        Started by kaywai, 09-01-2023, 08:44 PM
                        5 responses