Testing strategy performance on tick data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing strategy performance on tick data

Lets say I have a strategy that works well on 30 minute bars and I set CalculateOnBarClose = true..

Im curious how it would perform when not waiting for the bar to close. My data feed includes 180 days of tick data is there a way to backtest and see how the system would preform on a tick by tick basis?

basically can I set "calculateonbarclose = false" and backtest on the previous 180 days using the tick data from my provider? would that work?

Hello,

The answer is yes and no. In backtesting, all strategies are run as if CalculateOnBarClose = true, so setting it to false in your strategy will not accomplish the same thing in backtesting as it would live. That being said, there is a way to mimic the behavior of CalculateOnBarClose = false, by adding intra-bar granularity to your script. Essentially, you can add a 1-tick data series to the script, then perform your entries/exits based on that data series, which has a bar close every tick.

For more information on adding intra-bar granularity to your code for backtesting, please see the link below:
    http://www.ninjatrader.com/support/f...ead.php?t=6652
    Dave I.NinjaTrader Product Management

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by kujista, Today, 06:23 AM
    4 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
    Started by traderqz, Yesterday, 09:06 AM
    2 responses