Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automated Trading Setup & Running

Hello,

I have a Strategy that I would like to test out using the simulated account. I was wondering if there is a short tutorial on setting up and using live simulated trading with automated strategies? I'm a little confused on the process as I only have the free license. I already have my strategy, I am just looking for the next step of using it real time in a simulated environment, Can I do real time simulated automated trading with this version? What settings do I need to have? Can I use yahoo finance data feed? I eventually plan to purchase NT and use Interactive Brokers to do automated trading, but I would first like to learn the basics and work out the details of automated trading while testing my strategy real time.

Thanks,

Lee

Hello Lee,

Yes, you can run automated strategies in realtime trading the Sim101 account using the free version. You will need to connect to a data feed provider that feeds realtime data in NinjaTrader. Unfortunately Yahoo cannot be used as it supports historical daily only.

You can connect to IB to receive realtime data in NinjaTrader. Please see the IB connection guide at the link below.

You can find instructions to run automated strategies at the links below. Make sure you set Account to Sim101 to trade in simulation.

Running strategies from charts

Running strategies from the Control Center-->Strategies-tab
    JasonNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

I only have the free license. I already have my strategy, I am just looking for the next step of using it real time in a simulated environment, Can I do real time simulated automated trading with this version? What settings do I need to have?
      Last edited by NinjaTrader_Jason; 04-10-2015, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Hello aroobarajpoot,

Yes, this is possible. All you need is access to realtime data for the instruments you intend to trade. Can you please tell me what instruments you like to trade with your strategy.

Comment

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. I now have a few more questions as I try to wrap my head around what would be the best for me.

I don't understand what option for running my strategy would be better. There is the chart trader option and the strategies tab option. I want to set my strategy up and let it run on its own. But I want to be able to see it on the chart and watch the entries and exits. So is one better suited to this task?

Also, all I have done to this point is start strategies from the chart by right clicking and selecting strategies then enabling it. I typically use Yahoo finance, and if I leave it running, yahoo does provide updated data. I'm not going to say it's real time, but I don't think it's significantly delayed. So if I just leave the strategy running on the chart with yahoo as the feed, is this a viable option for testing? If not why? If I can't do that, how does the simulated data feed work and should I start the strategy with the simulated feed?

Sorry for the long questions, just trying to understand the options and what would be best.

Thanks again,

Lee

Comment

Hello Lee,

Based on your description, running the strategy from the chart sounds like it would better meet your needs.

Yahoo provides daily data which updates only once per day after the close of the trading session. This type of data provider is referred to as an EOD or end of day data source.If your strategy requires real-time data or intraday data you may need to look in to an alternative data source.
            KyleNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Hi,

So are you saying to use chart trader or just do it the way I have been doing it by just implementing the strategy from the chart??

Also, when I use yahoo, it gives me updated bar data during the trade day. Are you certain it does not provide a data feed?

Thanks again,

Lee

Comment

Hello Lee,

Please apply strategies as you have been doing before. ChartTrader cannot be used for automated strategies, only for manual trading.

Yahoo can provide realtime data for instruments, but it is not officially supported.

Comment

Originally posted by lee612801 View Post
                  Hi,

So are you saying to use chart trader or just do it the way I have been doing it by just implementing the strategy from the chart??

Also, when I use yahoo, it gives me updated bar data during the trade day. Are you certain it does not provide a data feed?

Thanks again,

Lee
                  In the past, I've looked into getting a realtime data feed from Yahoo:

Yahoo Finance offers streaming quotes in real-time for many exchanges. Learn how to tell if a quote's data is in real-time.

The trouble is, there's no way I can see of importing this data automatically into Ninja. That's the problem.

I used Kinetick (Ninja's own service) and I found it very reliable.
                  Last edited by arbuthnot; 04-13-2015, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Jason,

Thank you for the info. I will run the strategies from the chart as I have been. I am using Yahoo right now just for testing/simulation purposes. Once I go to live real trading, I would use the data feed from the broker (such as IB).

Thanks again,

Lee

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by judysamnt7, 03-13-2023, 09:11 AM
                    4 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post DynamicTest  
                    Started by ScottWalsh, Today, 06:52 PM
                    4 responses