Importing FOREX CHARTS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Importing FOREX CHARTS

How do I download Gain's ForexCharts to NT 6.5.0? I am looking for statistical data, history and wish to trade the 4hr intervals.

Originally posted by gygraham View Post
    How do I download Gain's ForexCharts to NT 6.5.0? I am looking for statistical data, history and wish to trade the 4hr intervals.
    Hello,

You will need to setup a Gain account connection. I have listed instructions to setup your Gain Demo account below.
    1. Start NinjaTrader
    2. From within the Control Center window, select “Tools > Account Connections...”
    3. In the Account Connection Set Up window, press Add...
    4. Follow the instructions provided in the Connection Wizard
    5. Select "Use NinjaTrader servers" for Historical Data
    6. Select “Demo” under the Mode option list
    7. Complete the wizard
    8. You will now be able to connect to a free real-time rate simulation account
      via the Control Center window “File > Connect” menu
    More information can be found on our website here: http://www.ninjatrader.com/webnew/support_GAIN.htm

Comment

How do I create a market entry and EMA exit using the Strategy Wizard?

Thanks, I got the chart history import done.

I am having a problem. I have created an EMA strategy that allows me entry and exit. I sometimes miss the setup and come to a completed ema crossover or under that I wanted to enter. How can I enter a market entry using the Wizard. I can only see ask or bid under PRICE DATA. Do I have to use the ASK to go short and the bid to go long?

This is my strategy:

// This namespace holds all strategies and is required. Do not change it.
      namespace NinjaTrader.Strategy
      {
      ///<summary>
      /// PRICE Entry SHORT EMA exit 56LONG
      ///</summary>
      [Description("PRICE Entry SHORT EMA exit 56LONG")]
      publicclass PriceEntryShortEMAExit56LONG : Strategy
      {
      #region Variables
      // Wizard generated variables
      privateint entryPrice = 1; // Default setting for EntryPrice
      privateint fast = 5; // Default setting for Fast
      privateint slow = 6; // Default setting for Slow
      // User defined variables (add any user defined variables below)
      #endregion
      ///<summary>
      /// This method is used to configure the strategy and is called once before any strategy method is called.
      ///</summary>
      protectedoverridevoid Initialize()
      {
      Add(EMA(
      5));
      Add(EMA(
      6));
      CalculateOnBarClose =
      true;
      }
      ///<summary>
      /// Called on each bar update event (incoming tick)
      ///</summary>
      protectedoverridevoid OnBarUpdate()
      {
      // Condition set 1
      if (EntryPrice >= GetCurrentAsk())
      {
      EnterShort(DefaultQuantity,
      "");
      PlaySound(
      @"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6\sounds\OrderFilled.wav");
      }
      // Condition set 2
      if (CrossAbove(EMA(5), EMA(6), 1))
      {
      ExitShort(
      "", "");
      PlaySound(
      @"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6\sounds\TargetFilled.wav");
      }
      }

Comment

When you enter the condition under "Do the Following" it will give you the option to "Enter Long Position" which is a market order, or you can use one of the limit order options. You will not put this step in the "When the following conditions are true" section.
        JessicaNinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Clarification please

Is this the proper condition for when the "If the following conditions exist" Condition set 1
          if
          (EntryPrice >= GetCurrentAsk())

I had three variables established from the setup page. Entry Price, 5 ema and 6 ema. The Entry price had only the integer 1 to the right. So by identifying from the User selection the Enter Price and choosing ASK from the right column, that I would have set the condition necessary to create the Do the following in condition 2 for the entry SHORT and Bid for LONG.

My question at this point is: Does it make a difference as to using then ASK for SHORT and BID for LONG? And is my Entry Price a legal condition?

I want to know what condition 1 should say and I think I have condition 2 OK.

Thanks

Comment

The way I see it, 'ForexCharts' refers referrs to the eSignal ForexCharts package offerered through Gain and 'forex data' is the basic feed.

Is there anyway to import the historical eSignal ForexCharts data into NT?

I'd also really like to trade 4 hour charts, but 30 days simply isn't enough data for many strategies and indicators.

If NT is partnered with GAIN which provides eSignal's ForexCharts (providing plenty of historical forex data), and NT has also negotiated a vastly reduced rate for an eSignal DATA feed would it not be logical support importing historical eSignal data, specifically forex?

Comment

- NT support historical forex chart data through eSignal
              - Unfortunately there is no support beyond the data above

Comment

Originally posted by NinjaTrader_Dierk View Post
                - NT support historical forex chart data through eSignal
                - Unfortunately there is no support beyond the data above
                Can you clarify this?

I'm using the eSignal ForexCharts package, can I import that data into NinjaTrader?

If it is supported the 'import historical data' FileOpen dialog should list the types it supports. 'Any' is about as helpful as "*.*" If eSignal data is supported it should be listed in the filetype dropdown menu...

Comment

Not sure I follow.

I'm not familiar with the ForexChart package of eSignal, but if you can pull up a currency pair in eSignal app like any other instrument, then you can connect NT to eSignal and just open a 1 minute chart on e.g. $USDEUR and get data downloaded into that chart like with any other instrument.

Not sure we you want to import by Tools->Historical data->Import...

Comment

The ForexCharts package is basically a stripped down version of the legendary Advanced GET without any of the proprietary indicators like XTL, Cycles, Joseph Trend Index, TJ's Web, False Bar Stochastics, Elliot Trigger, Bias Reversal etc..

This could be my own error.

I was under the impression that when trading though GAIN I could only use GAIN's feed or the NinjaTrader server.

I'm going to review the "Multiple Connections" section in the manual and see if I can find a solution.

I guess it boils down to this question, if I have a working user/pass for eSignal ForexCharts can I use that instead of the GAIN data feed?

(I'm assuming yes, but if not, let me know)

Comment

Yes! Finally some decent historical forex data!

Unfortunately this only makes the lack of a proper chart timeline even more frustrating (and potentially costly now that I'm 'live")

(p.s. don't mistake my often stern, direct and misguided criticisms for anger, I just feel strongly about improving NT )
                      Attached Files

Comment

Is this the proper condition for when the "If the following conditions exist" Condition set 1
                        if
                        (EntryPrice >= GetCurrentAsk())

I had three variables established from the setup page. Entry Price, 5 ema and 6 ema. The Entry price had only the integer 1 to the right. So by identifying from the User selection the Enter Price and choosing ASK from the right column, that I would have set the condition necessary to create the Do the following in condition 2 for the entry SHORT and Bid for LONG.

My question at this point is: Does it make a difference as to using then ASK for SHORT and BID for LONG? And is my Entry Price a legal condition?

I want to know what condition 1 should say and I think I have condition 2 OK.

Thanks

The code itself doesn't care what you use; bid or ask. What matters is what your EntryPrice is. If your EntryPrice variable is 1 then you will be comparing that value of 1 to either the bid or the ask price of whatever instrument. If the instrument is trading at 1.225 then obviously 1 is < 1.225 and your condition would not evaluate to true. The code is valid, but you will need to decide how you want the comparison to work.
                        Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Direct entry code

It appears I can't get a Market entry using the following. What I get is a sim-type entry (pips already registered from OPEN of interval) from the open, regardless of the current market. The strategy never opens a live trade even though the sim101 is changed to my LIVE account. Can you evaluate and help me to open a live market order with my ema close?
                          The setup is (NAME) Entry Price, (TYPE) int, (DEFAULT) 1, (MIN) 1. Under those would be the two ema's 5,6

// This namespace holds all strategies and is required. Do not change it.
                          namespace NinjaTrader.Strategy
                          {
                          ///<summary>
                          /// PRICE Entry SHORT EMA exit 56LONG
                          ///</summary>
                          [Description("PRICE Entry SHORT EMA exit 56LONG")]
                          publicclass PriceEntryShortEMAExit56LONG : Strategy
                          {
                          #region Variables
                          // Wizard generated variables
                          privateint entryPrice = 1; // Default setting for EntryPrice
                          privateint fast = 5; // Default setting for Fast
                          privateint slow = 6; // Default setting for Slow
                          // User defined variables (add any user defined variables below)
                          #endregion
                          ///<summary>
                          /// This method is used to configure the strategy and is called once before any strategy method is called.
                          ///</summary>
                          protectedoverridevoid Initialize()
                          {
                          Add(EMA(
                          5));
                          Add(EMA(
                          6));
                          CalculateOnBarClose =
                          true;
                          }
                          ///<summary>
                          /// Called on each bar update event (incoming tick)
                          ///</summary>
                          protectedoverridevoid OnBarUpdate()
                          {
                          // Condition set 1
                          if (EntryPrice < GetCurrentAsk())
                          {
                          EnterShort(DefaultQuantity,
                          "");
                          PlaySound(
                          @"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6\sounds\OrderFilled.wav");
                          PlaySound(
                          @"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6.5\sounds\EnterShort.wav");
                          }
                          // Condition set 2
                          if (CrossAbove(EMA(5), EMA(6), 1))
                          {
                          ExitShort(
                          "", "");
                          PlaySound(
                          @"C:\Program Files\NinjaTrader 6\sounds\TargetFilled.wav");

Comment

Like I mentioned in my previous post, your value for entry price is likely never below GetCurrentAsk(). This means you will never enter a trade. You need to make sure your code reflects the behavior you actually want.

If the strategy works fine in simulation it will work relatively the same live. Make sure you have Global Simulation Mode unchecked in the File menu.
                            Josh P.NinjaTrader Customer Service

Comment

Latest Posts

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by RookieTrader, Today, 07:41 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes
                            Last Post NinjaTrader_ChelseaB  
                            Started by kujista, Today, 05:44 AM
                            1 response
                            0 likes